65 coaches online • Server time: 23:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 02:45
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of you already know that I have been spending a few weeks of my time on jump-starting a project that aims at building a HTML5 client for FFB.

The target is to have a 1.0 release that can be used to spectate live matches, with replays and actually playing being a longer-term goal.

With the huge amount of work this involves, I am looking for people who are interested in helping out with the work. This primarily means developers, but there is also a bit of graphics work that will be needed over time.

This post is a call-for-help aimed at developers out there who are willing to put in the effort to assist.

The codebase is primarily in TypeScript (a relative to Javascript), and uses the Phaser 3 game framework. Experience and/or willingness to learn these technologies is important to be able to be productive. I am using GitHub for the project so an account over there is also a requirement.

Get in touch if you are interested in helping out.

PS. The topic of this post is courtesy of @morehouse. Smile
morehouse

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I told him you gotta catch these people here's eye with something real obvious or they lose focus. Smile

But for real, Christer has obviously helped us all out a ton by creating and maintaining this great service for us. I know we have some very tech savy people on this site. Let's get a team together of people that can help with this!
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you need music and/or sound effects for the client? Wink
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 03:12
FUMBBL Staff

While music would be fun, I don't see *that* much use for it.. Loading isn't slow enough to warrant it and it would probably get a bit repetitive during gameplay.. Maybe some "credits" music wouldn't be a terrible place to have something?

Sound effects, though are something I wouldn't mind having a chat about. While a lot of people on the site are a bit conservative when it comes to sounds, the current set is technically pretty low quality and wildly different in terms of sound levels.. It would certainly not hurt to have a higher quality set produced.

Could possibly have some ambient sounds running through the game. Perhaps things triggered for the various kick-off effects.. Let's talk about it at some point Smile
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Totally. I recently bought a bunch of toys to play with for my home studio including the industry standard Shure SM58 - foley arts, here we go! Keep it in mind and I'll poke you if it goes too long without mention.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the pitch of the sounds should be affected by the str of the player
So goblins yelp and trolls grunt
Record once, scale up/down?

Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

pitch and dugouts en route

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The botocs client had commentary for certain events. I didnt play it that much to have much of an opinion but it seemed fun. I know the cyanide commentary got monotonous.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

Could possibly have some ambient sounds running through the game. Perhaps things triggered for the various kick-off effects.. Let's talk about it at some point Smile

I think that adding a "fwoosh" jet engine sound (something like the Cyanide sound) and a lightning icon displayed above the blitzing player as well for Blitz action would help to reduce undesired accidental selections of the Blitz action.
If sound is not possible, at least the lightning icon would be nice, it would be a quality of gameplay change.
Accidental selection of Blitz actions is really frustrating and happens from time to time.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe we're going off topic with feature suggestions, but yes
Same for foul pass or handover actions
morehouse

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
I think the pitch of the sounds should be affected by the str of the player
So goblins yelp and trolls grunt
Record once, scale up/down?

This is a fun idea. The idea of snotlings yipping up and down the pitch cracks me up.
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 16:52
FUMBBL Staff

Please don't use this thread for feature requests.
Macabeo

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, I'd jump all over this if it was Java/Kotlin, but I don't think I have the time to learn TypeScript and Phaser right now. Maybe after a few months...

Are you going to set the Github repository as public? I'd love to take a look at the code from time to time and try to get an idea of how it works and how it is organized. That is by far my biggest complaint about the Java client, that it is not open source Sad
sann0638

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2018 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Might be worth putting this on the Facebook page, happy to share it in the BB community - among 16,000 people, there might be some with some skills!

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Good Afternoon, All

I am a software developer and I have a love for table top bloodbowl and have just recently discovered fumbbl.com. Unfortunately the game client is a very dated java client that requires both players to download the java client to run a game.

I would like to develop or at least port the current game client to Python3 code that would be able to be run directly on the fumbbl server but would allow players to create, join and play games.

The server side functions would be ideal due to the inability for users to modify the game code or the results of a game. A simple time out function could be used where any game that a couch leaves for more than 15 mins tallies as a draw and the leaving couch could be recorded to check for abusive use of the system.

I believe the overall build would be pretty straight forward if I had the existing source code.

Does anyone have the current fantasy football client source code for me to work off?

I have a lot more freedom with the holidays coming up that I could pour into this effort to get the ball rolling.

Let me know if there is any interest in this endeavor. Either way I'd still like to work on it as a fun project.
 Jump to: