28 coaches online • Server time: 09:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wargraith

Post 9 Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I am realizing that I have been guilty of participating in a lot of LLWing - That said I have been doing quite a bit of reading on strategies and helps for the first time.

I am realizing how small minded about the game I have been and that I have so much to learn. To my previous opponents who have dealt with my complaining - I offer my apologies.

My aim going forward will be to eliminate the whining.

Best of Luck to all and may the fields get bloody!
Klunker

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

No need to apologise. I've always enjoyed our games.
Some were emotional. As they should be.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I always manipulate the RNG, so if we play, your bad luck will be real.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a big fan of whining, it's liberating. You should whine before, during, and after match. Less than that is rookie numbers!

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Whining is the best way to change your luck, it's worked for me on numerous occasions Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Generally, I would consider whining to be bad. That I consider it bad, differentiates it from moaning or whinging. Which some other people may also consider bad.

Comment on the dice is fair enough. Though some newer coaches (and some older ones) blame the dice for their own ineptitude.

An ideal moan would be in universe, lamenting Nuffle or the players rather than "the Dice".
It can be a thing of beauty or a work of art.

Some people don't like whining because they sense that you are implying that they are a crap coach who is only winning because of the ******* dice. Which might of course, be true.
If it is true you may choose to commiserate kindly or wind them up mercilessly. Your choice.

Some people don't like whining because they suspect that you are not really whining. They may suspect you of engaging in some kind of psychological gamesmanship and attempting to tilt them.

The main problem with whining is that it sounds... well... whiney. That's how you'll know it from moaning or whinging.
I don't think that it is as easy to have the same level of respect for a whiner as a for good natured or in-universe moaner.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Koadah, just so you know, in North American english there is no such thing as "whinging" I had assumed from the first time I heard it until this moment that it was synonymous with "whining".

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Koadah, just so you know, in North American english there is no such thing as "whinging" I had assumed from the first time I heard it until this moment that it was synonymous with "whining".

"The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language." Mr. Green

Well, I've learned something new today. Smile

What does "whine" mean in the US? Or other places where it is not viewed so negatively?

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, it's negative, there is just no equivalent to whinge, I suppose. What does it actually mean?

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2023 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Oh, it's negative, there is just no equivalent to whinge, I suppose. What does it actually mean?

I'd say, imagine a less high pitched, nasally, childlike, irritating voice. Whinging is likely to take a fair bit longer to **** you off. Smile
Though it may do so eventually.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2023 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man, nothing makes me whinge like an unfounded whine based on bad evaluations of the game state and irrelevant observations.

Good on you @Wargraith to move on to a state where you will notice opportunities to improve your game.
Carthage

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2023 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Wargraith wrote:
I am realizing that I have been guilty of participating in a lot of LLWing - That said I have been doing quite a bit of reading on strategies and helps for the first time.

I am realizing how small minded about the game I have been and that I have so much to learn. To my previous opponents who have dealt with my complaining - I offer my apologies.

My aim going forward will be to eliminate the whining.

Best of Luck to all and may the fields get bloody!

Hope this wasn't about our game! I do the same thing but its funny how often you start getting upset about that then the dice do a 180 and your opponent just goes splat! Sometimes remembering all itll take is 1 or 2 bad rolls then it equalizes is enough. And if it still is too salty, a break sometimes helps.
Its an online exclusive problem in my opinion, because OTB you can laugh about it together with the other player.
Wargraith

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2023 - 05:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the support from everyone

@Carthage - it was in part due to the our game, but ive been really bad a couple times. Its just not the look or reputation I want to have in this community. In general this community has been very kind to me as a newer coach.

The main two i can think of are when i took a whipping from a Nurgle team where i learned how good Defensive can be as a skill, and another one where Mattdakka ripped me a new one with Guard spam dwarves in one of my first black box games lol
Carthage

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2023 - 05:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean, raging against Dakka is basically a rite of passage for Fumbbl players. I took the theory of "if you can't be em, join em" and had him teach me how to elfball better Smile
Halfabrain

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2023 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think whining implies that you think your predicament is someone else's fault whereas a whinge is a general bitch about the state of life, the universe and everything and is therefore more acceptable

But then perhaps I'm biased as I love an occasional good whinge myself
 Jump to: