51 coaches online • Server time: 16:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

monboesen wrote:
Drugs are illegal for a reason. That reason is that the destroy peoples lives. Unfortunately the destruction often ends up including other peoples lifes as well, especially their family and friends.

wrong...good try though...

if it were true, how come alcohol and cigarettes, which arguably, and i say arguably because i can't track down the specific facts, but it's a well known fact, kill more people than any other drug in existence(and make no mistake...alcohol and nicotine *are* drugs)....but yet anyone of legal age can walk down to a pub on the corner, or a store and have a pint, a cigarette, shot of liquor..whatever....

also, alcohol and cigarettes destroy people's lives much more considerably than other drugs....how many potheads do you hear about that get stoned out of their gourd, come home and batter their wives?...

*conspiracy theory alert*...while this idea is completely unsupported by any facts, big corporate policy can somewhat back up the idea, that the reason a lot of "illegal drugs" continue to do so, is pressure by big tobacco companies and lobbyists....also the inability by the government, or lack of desire, to properly police it, and distribute it in a controlled manner, like cigarettes and alcohol are....

--j

ImageImage
DanTheMan

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Trust me, nothing good comes from drugs, and I'm speaking from experience. And to compare illegal drugs with alcohol and tobacco is just infantile. Anyone ever heard of someone becoming a helpless lush from their first beer, or someone developing immediate cancer from their first cigarette? I doubt it. Stronger drugs though, there we have thousands of cases where people have suffered a psychosis on their first fix.
The biggest problem with harder drugs is the slow mental changes, that usually happen so slowly that neither the user or friends and family discover them before it's too late. I know a few friends who have become more or less insane from drugs, going from being extroverted and friendly to aggressive and border-line paranoid.
In conclusion, if you think that illegal drugs are fine, you're a dolt! Wink
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Drugs are bad for you... it ruins homes and families...

But if he is really rich and can keep up an addiction without stealing or being otherwise stupid, sure, go ahead.

Shadow: But all drugs can't be banned.. like cigarettes, alcohol, coffee... it is too deeply rooted in ppl's souls...

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

People can be addicted to food, we should outlaw that!

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Most of the time it isn't the drugs that ruin people, but a combination of other factors.
I'm directly addressing pot at the moment, as I know from family experience that heroin, crack, and morpheine WILL ruin your life.

First, the legality ruins you becuase you face criminal charges, loss of employment, fines, and jail time.
These factors cause more harm to the livelihood of the recreational pot user than a few joints will ever cause.

Second, the limits to which a person will risk injury, job security, degradation, and violence to get their next fix.
It'd be nice if these people didn't have to risk so much to feed an addiction, which in many cases, they are unable to control, and in some other cases, were born into.

Third, the artificial black market created by these substances.
When you try to limit a persons access to something they desire, you create a dangerous situation in which the only way they can fulfill their desire is through the means of a person who is willing to break the law for a profit. These black market dealers are willing to steal, kidnap, smuggle, blackmail, and kill their way into wealth. Keeping these drugs under such tight controls gives the black market criminal a virtual monopoly over a much desired substance.

Imagine if you could buy your dope at Wal-Mart. You wouldn't go to jail. You'd be less inclined to steal for drugs becaused they become easier to obtain. You wouldn't have to deal with criminals in dark parking lots. Of course all those government dollars going into the war on drugs would be freed up for other things, like education, health care, tax cuts, and FINDING A WAY TO GET GAS PRICES DOWN!

Why do we spend so much money to prosecute folks whose only crime is to get stoned and watch Harold and Kumar, and we let companies like Exxon rake in record profits at the expense of the public? I'm crying foul before the thread gets locked.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Was this thread really about drugs and the law anyway?

Isn't it really about what a guy should do about someone who could be on the road to ruining their lives.

Sure, some people will take drugs everyday and have a great life and live to be 103.
Some people will be screwed after their first hit. It's gonna depend on the person and their circumstances.
I get the impression that Squig is talking about more than just the odd joint. Sounds to like the person is looking at the slippery slope. Squig is right to be worried.

A lot of fun things are dangerous. How many people died horse riding, skiing or mountain climbing last year?
People need to know the risks and whether they are up to overcoming those risks. A lot of people, especially young people don't really know.

If you try to climb a mountain and you are not prepared you're going to die. Pretty simple.
But some would say, "what the **** did he want to go up there for anyway?"

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate the comments. It is something I have been dealing with for a while, not a recent event. Just wanted some imput from normal people, and people not involved in anyway. Situation is pretty cool at the minute! Thanks for the input.

Feel free to discuss your views on drugs, Im quite enjoying reading it tbh Very Happy

koadah

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

thesquig wrote:
I appreciate the comments. It is something I have been dealing with for a while, not a recent event. Just wanted some imput from normal people, and people not involved in anyway. Situation is pretty cool at the minute! Thanks for the input.

Feel free to discuss your views on drugs, Im quite enjoying reading it tbh Very Happy

You have a scary idea of what makes 'normal people' Smile

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Drugs are certainly dangerous and have ruined many lives.

That being said...

In my not so distant youth, I used a lot of drugs. For many of the usual reasons (difficult home situation in my childhood, generally rebellious nature etc) I started smoking marijuana at age 13 and was taking quaaludes and occassionaly cocaine and speed (crystal meth and sometimes "ice") by age 16.
When I came out to UC Berkeley in the late 80's, I soon found that psychedelics were exactly what I had been looking for all that time. I spent a good 5 or 6 years taking *a lot* of LSD, mushrooms, mescaline, peyote and the occassional ecstasy. During this time, I would also go through about 1/4 oz (8grams) of marijuana and perhaps 2 bottles of whiskey and a case or two of beer every week.

Now this sort of behavior is very destructive and I don't recommend that ANYONE ever engages in that level of substance use/abuse.
However, I will say that my experiences (both good and bad) with psychedelics without question allowed my to gain insights into who I am and into what matters to me. There is a particular quality to an LSD experience that facilitates an understanding of self that is difficult to achieve in any other way. There is a peculiar dissociative state in which one can almost view oneself "from the outside," as though you were observing another person entirely. While this can be quite uncomfortable as you begin to realize many of the things about yourself that are not so admirable, it has the potential to be enlightening in a way that is quite valuable.
It is not a "magic pill" by any means, and the experiences that you have will be no better or more enlighterning than YOU make them. There are some advocates for these drugs who will try (in my opinion) to make these experiences into more than they are. These are not "journeys of transcendental awareness of the universe" but rather they are moments and periods in which your mind is aware of things in new ways, and in which all of the assumptions with which you live every day are gone, allowing you to seemingly experience the world "for the first time."
Very powerful, and occassionally scary, but worth only what YOU make of it.

Like all things, this can be overdone however and eventually I came to the realization that my mind was getting "a little squishy" and I was having trouble maintaining much focus in my thought. This was distressing to me, as I had always considered my self a very clear thinker.
Upon this realization, I stopped all of these activities completely. I didn't drink even a single beer for about 18 months. Fortunately, this was not difficult for me in the least, in fact I was never even really tempted to "backslide." After a while, I felt much more cogent and coherent in my thinking and decided that I could enjoy these things in moderation without danger. Since that time (a good ten years ago now) I have had no trouble moderating myself, drinking socially (probably 2-3 beers a week on average, rarely more than 3 in a single night) and only smoking marijuana 3-4 times a year, generally only when I am playing guitar. I have taken LSD 3 times in the past 10 years.

On the other hand, my two best friends and roomates from those early days didn't (couldn't) stop. They continue on in an alcoholic and substance-abusing life style, and their health and welfare has suffered greatly for it. I am always amazed at the sheer fortune of genetics that allowed me to walk away so easily, but for both of them became a powerful addiction.

My experiences during those times are an important part of what makes me who I am today, and I would not trade them for anything nor change them if I could. But I am deeply saddened whenever I think about my good friend who was very smart and funny and good-hearted and is now a mess.

All in all, drug use and psychedelic use in particular is a choice that everyone has to make for themselves. But if you delve into such things without any understanding and without the capacity to moderate yourself and keep things in perspective, then they can be dangerous indeed.

NOTE: If you are going to try drugs of anysort (which is illegal in most countries) make certain that you do so in a safe place with close friends that you trust entirely and make certain that at least one person remains sober (you really need someone who has unimpaired judgement). And DON'T DRIVE, EVER.

Also, be aware that many drugs bought "off the street" may not be what they are advertised to be. They can be dangerous.

Be careful, and be safe.

Last edited by tautology on %b %26, %2006 - %19:%May; edited 4 times in total
paulhicks

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

i suppose i must admit i have had more experience with drugs than is good for me.
i have used (in no particular order) cannabis, crack (once), DMT, ecstacy, ampthetamines, acohol, LSD, cocaine, mescaline, ketamine and possibly a few others that ive forgotten.
i dont tell you this because i think it makes me look cool and nor am i going to tell you that its totaly ruined my life and under no surcumstances should you ever try them.
its all about personal choice and personal responsibility. all drugs are potentialy addictive either phyicaly (i.e. your body becomes dependent on them) or psycologicaly (just as food, stealing and sex can).
become informed about everything before you try it... and not just hearsay off the internet.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
i suppose i must admit i have had more experience with drugs than is good for me.
i have used (in no particular order) cannabis, crack (once), DMT, ecstacy, ampthetamines, acohol, LSD, cocaine, mescaline, ketamine and possibly a few others that ive forgotten.
i dont tell you this because i think it makes me look cool and nor am i going to tell you that its totaly ruined my life and under no surcumstances should you ever try them.
its all about personal choice and personal responsibility. all drugs are potentialy addictive either phyicaly (i.e. your body becomes dependent on them) or psycologicaly (just as food, stealing and sex can).
become informed about everything before you try it... and not just hearsay off the internet.

Yeah its mushroom season, or are you to old for that now Wink

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I live in the Netherlands where I took a liberal amount of time to study. Very Happy

Nuff said. Cool

Whatever you do; do not overdo them.