I have just gotten the (very) long awaited league changes to a milestone I'm comfortable pushing live for you guys to test out in an alpha state. In this context, alpha means the system is not fully implemented (ie, there are missing features), and there are very likely bugs. The major changes that are now available are:
have been updated with some further options.
2. Groups can now be set to either a "Meta Group", or a "League". The former is pretty much no change from before. The latter allows group owners to connect the group to a ruleset (using the Ruleset ID for the moment). This means that the group is now a league.
3. Teams can be created in a league, and by doing so will use the ruleset connected to it. This means that all the settings for the ruleset will apply (starting gold, min players, max players, etc). Rulesets will also allow you to change skill progression. To create a team in a "League", there is a link on the overview page for the group specifically for this purpose.
4. Currently, existing teams can not be moved into a league.
5. Client options can be configured for teams in a league, which means you can finally change these things without being forced to start a tournament.
6. Cross-league matches are NOT supported (yet). This will be allowed at a later date, but will most likely have restrictions (for example requiring leagues involved in the match to use the same ruleset).
7. Leagues have the option to customise which rosters are allowed. For the moment, this is only a few specific predetermined sets of teams (LRB6, Stunty, and LRB6+Stunty). As you might notice, this will open up the League division to Stunty teams (albeit in a limited fashion).
Now, given that this is alpha state code, and it's certainly one of the largest changes and additions to the website in a very long time (pretty much since we switched to the FFB client), things may break because of this update. I have no reasonable way to test some of the code I changed to make this possible.
So, please let me know if you find things that have broken because of this update. Also, please give me some feedback with how you feel the system works, and if there are things you'd like to see going forward.
I've started a feedback thread
on the forums for this.