32 coaches online • Server time: 19:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

... or is there also good stuff to talk about?

I'm kind of overwhelmed over the number of bug reports coming in on the first official night of playing (and during the week at that). That is most certainly a good thing as it shows you guys are interested in playing and care enough for the success of the client to fill in bug reports. Thank you for that.

Nevertheless I wanted to open a thread to put in commentary on things you liked, usability feedback and the likes. Call it a motivational thread if you want Wink
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

My feedback in the 5 mins I have before I go to work: the client is awesome. It's a bit different from JavaBB on the first run, but becomes increasingly easier to use just after the first few turns.
All in all, the learning curve is excellent.

Don't let the number of bugs let you down. Everything coming out of Alpha stage will necessarily have those. Think about this stage as a public alpha and not a working beta. Feedback is what makes a good project a perfect one, but I must say: I tried it the first time and I loved it from the get-go. Your job is great so far.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

The new client is full of features that i just love, and whilst i haven't had the time to sit down and play yet i am enjoying spectating the new client games immensely. I love the little details that show you really understood what the people wanted, such as the info on the number of spectators watching.

The only reason people are be so thorough, is that a lot of people are really desperate to get this site onto the current rules.
Ebenezer

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 08:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Played 5 matches till now... and the client is really great. Some bugs are normal, in the end was the first evening of "mass play" Smile
Barre

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

After playing a game I agree that playing gets easier quickly.

A feature that had me concerned initially was the lag from messaging every click to the server and back, whilst the lag was noticeable with the use of the auto-pathing it was largely countered, having said that it would be great if we could regionalise the servers, as Aussies will never get good ping times so the problem would vanish altogether.

Another problem I have, and had with the old LRB5 client, is following block dice roles easily, having them down and away from the screen really confuses the gameplay, it needs to be more prominent, either adjacent to the block or more similar to the current client, immediately below the pitch in the middle. I tried to adapt to this with an open mind, but it really did turn out to be laborious.

Assuming this was bug free and ready to go, I can say with confidence that this is a vast improvement from the existing client, and with customisable images such as pitch and dice it would be a joy to play.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I Can't think of anYone who would releAse a New game wIthout Diligently tEsting out the bugs first.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Barre wrote:
Another problem I have, and had with the old LRB5 client, is following block dice roles easily, having them down and away from the screen really confuses the gameplay, it needs to be more prominent, either adjacent to the block or more similar to the current client, immediately below the pitch in the middle. I tried to adapt to this with an open mind, but it really did turn out to be laborious.

When you have dice to choose they are right in the middle of the screen. It's only when your opponent is rolling (or you are spectating) that they are in the sidebar (as close to the center as I could manage). Results are reported in the log in any case.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Relezite wrote:
I Can't think of anYone who would releAse a New game wIthout Diligently tEsting out the bugs first.

Shsssssssh.

If Kalimar had been over to their forums he wouldn't have dared start in the first place Wink

Of course not robbing us of £40 weighs very heavily in his favour.

If you want encouragement get a donate button. Wink

I haven't tried playing on it but it sure does look nice. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 09:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
When you have dice to choose they are right in the middle of the screen. It's only when your opponent is rolling (or you are spectating) that they are in the sidebar (as close to the center as I could manage). Results are reported in the log in any case.

Yeah I should probably have mentioned that, I was in refering to being a spectator (as the opposing coach or in the crowd). I just feel you would be focusing more on the area of impact rather than shifting focus to find the block dice. Maybe having the dice appear in the same position as the active player would be the simple solution.

Of course this is just my opinion, so don't take this as a "it's only correct if it's like this".

While I remember, I'm sure it's been addressed already, but there is no prompt for a sidestep move, it's usually obvious when it's required, but an alert to the user when they need to make an out of sequence action would be nice.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

One feature I absolutely LOVE: the feature that lets you see the "history" of a particular player throughout the match. When he was fielded, who blocked him unconscious and at which turn, and so on. And the total number of turns on the pitch. Statistics maniacs will love you for it.
I know I do Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

If i put it like this...
I haven't had much interest in fumbbl lately. Haven't played a game in ranked for 6 months or something. Logged in just to play the league-games i am involved in, but some bad matches and the LRB4 Rulesset kind of destroying the teams got me to loose the interest in that to.
Since you announced that this will be finished soon and that testing will begin, i have been waiting for the official word on it, logging on each evening, hanging in the IRC-chat.
I couldn't wait really, so did a test-game and just loved it, although some bugs was found.
I enjoyed writing bug-reports, because this is something i have waited for a long time for.
If it wouldn't be for your client, i would probably have left the site by now. But the client itself made me stay up late last night browsing the forum, making icons.
It even made me surf the forum from my mobile on the way to work this morning.
And it is not just the rulesset, playing in the new client is a joy. So many nice small touches like the animated ball at kickoff and things.
Thats why i want this client to be as good as it can be, i want it finished so that i can play my league-games in it.

Thank you for your work Kalimar, and i promise i will try to support your work in any way possible.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
One feature I absolutely LOVE: the feature that lets you see the "history" of a particular player throughout the match. When he was fielded, who blocked him unconscious and at which turn, and so on. And the total number of turns on the pitch. Statistics maniacs will love you for it.
I know I do Wink

i do \o/
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

@Lakrillo: best encouragement ever, thank you. I hope updating Fumbbl to the latest ruleset also re-ignites interest in some of those that have left since Cyanide came out with their version. Has to be by word-of-mouth though.
turboraton

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

<turboraton> arghhh
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Love the kick off and pass animation, I make sounds when the balls in the air... and I bet I'm not the only one!

We're all incredibly grateful Kalimar, your services will not go unrewarded!