36 coaches online • Server time: 12:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2012 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the feedback. First, I think we are getting too picky, but I will look into more diversity. This is six unique ghoul icons where before there were only four. They are all in fact different hues, but it is hard to see on this background as it is the same tones, but easier to see on the field. I will create an on-field sample tonight to show the colours. I can try and make the colours more pronounced, but don't want a return to the cartoony icons.

For some perspective, please tell me how you differentiate the same positionals on this standard Dark Elf team when you play them:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Or Zons (Can you spot the differences in positional types?):

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
FreeRange

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2012 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

no not really... but then again I think both these races could do with some tweaking too.

You may have a point about being too picky. The new icons are top notch and head and shoulders better than before as they stand now.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2012 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I will definitely still try and adjust some colours and equipment bits. Just making a point. I think we all spoilt ourselves with the awesome Stunty icons project with all positionals getting unique icons.

And yes, they could use some tweaking. Very Happy
zakatan

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2012 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't distinguish DE blitzers, and it's annoying Smile

It's the problem of having only 1 model. But if you are doing 4, it's best if they are easy to spot at sight.

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Thought I was all done with the Goblin makeover, then realized the Underworld Goblins were missed. Should I replace them with something along the lines of the Squig Herder Gobbos with no spears? The old ones are as small as Snotlings.

Image Image
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, yes please! Replace them!
Bobs

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 02:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Shift click is how I differentiated mine. Easy to make quick notes.
Would be awesome in the fullness of time to have full teams look different.

zakatan

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Thought I was all done with the Goblin makeover, then realized the Underworld Goblins were missed. Should I replace them with something along the lines of the Squig Herder Gobbos with no spears? The old ones are as small as Snotlings.

Image Image

i like the black cloating better for them, but they could indeed use some make up

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Since the underworld goblins can mutate, it would be cool if one or two icons had a mutation. I know the icon will not always match the appropriate player, but it will add variations to them.

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

The zons I think are very clever. It's easy to differentiate the different positions, unlike Pat's which were the ones before. I don't think that's very easy to achieve.

For DE, possibly taken 2nd ed minis as an inspiration, there were more options back then.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, looks like it is a go for new Underworld Goblins. Will get some done before the release.

@Zakatan: Agreed, I will make these guys darker robed.

@Shraaaag: Agreed. I was thinking the same. Will likely add two with 2-heads, one big hand, and one with horns. Any other suggestions? I want to keep them limited and representative of common mutations.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like the idea of Underworld goblins with mutations, it would be confusing.
Please keep them vanilla, with darker robes.
I would like mutated goblins ONLY if the client matched them properly to the chosen mutation, i.e. my normal UW goblin takes two heads, the next match a two heads goblin sprite replaces the normal goblin sprite.
This way would be fine, but a random sprite not matching the real mutations the goblin has is not a good idea in my opinion.
The same goes for the zombies sprites which don't match the player actually killed.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %12, %2012 - %16:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with MattDakka on this. No (randomly assigned) mutations. In general I see diversity within a single playertype as something that's not very helpful in play. Unless it's assignable on a player by player basis, which it isn't at the moment (might be worth to have though).
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I find diversity within a single playertype very helpful when I play. It makes it easier to remember which is which. I tried to 'tag' the players like many do, however I could never get use to it, so I went back to just remembering stuff based on the icon's appearance. If you don't want mutations, that's fine, but right now, underworld goblins only have 1 look.

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I could probably of ignored Matt, but now... Very Happy

I'll make a standard set of UW Gobs and probably a few mutant freaks just to have on hand for the day we can add custom icons.
 Jump to: