72 coaches online • Server time: 20:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Relezite

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Cribbleobblepie wrote:

We're all incredibly grateful Kalimar, your services will not go unrewarded!

Hey, don't go making lewd promises for all of us.
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking more munetary support, its you with your mind in the gutter! :p

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Great work Kalimar! What was at first awkward had turned to second nature by turn 16. Smile I especially like the stand up and end turn option as an action.

So far I am loving this.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
When you have dice to choose they are right in the middle of the screen. It's only when your opponent is rolling (or you are spectating) that they are in the sidebar (as close to the center as I could manage). Results are reported in the log in any case.

Yes excellent work, all the small improvements to the UI are great. One thing I'd like to see in the now verbose log (which I like) is what block dice were actually rolled; often if I'm AFW I'll miss seeing an enemy's block 'live' and if they reroll you don't see what the actual dice rolled were (not just what result they picked). Maybe something to add into the log?
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
One feature I absolutely LOVE: the feature that lets you see the "history" of a particular player throughout the match. When he was fielded, who blocked him unconscious and at which turn, and so on. And the total number of turns on the pitch. Statistics maniacs will love you for it.
I know I do Wink

Let me echo this stats I love them!

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings Kalimar.

I am incredibly happy to see that you continued work on this client after that whole affair with GW. I was afraid you had been forced to abandon it completely.
Now you already know how much I like this client, I have told you countless times. But since it has changed so much since our initial alphatesting, I thought I'd throw in my 5 cents again.

The replayer: I love it, that is certainly a tool that's gonna get well used, especially for the big tournament games, and the switching between the live game and replay looks almost like magic.

Mouse over boxes: Weee, this is good stuff. I especially love the info on the players in the CAS box. I bet every single spectator is gonna praise you too.

Client design: It took me a bit to get used to the new layout, but I think what you ended up with is very nice. I noticed you can force one of the two CAS/Reserve boxes open always, by clicking the little button under them, so thumbs up on that too.

Block Dice: I have to admit I can't stand those hehe. Im ultra conservative when it comes to my blockdice, and at the very least, I'd like you to change the red cross back to a skull. Saying you rolled doublecrosses is just not the same as saying you rolled doubleskulls. Also why I understand they are based off of impactminiatures dice, which can also be used for normal d6 dice, I think it just confuses people when there are different pushback icons (the 3 and 4 arrow versions). Theres no need for this in the client, as you will never use those dice for anything but blocking.

Volume: I have requsted this before, but the client badly needs a way to control the volume, it was a huge improvement on Ski's client, when he incorporated that, and I sorely miss it in your client.

Customization: As far as I know, this is something you plan to add at a later stage, but I admit I cant wait for this, as Nkelshs new icons never was for me.

I am certain I had more comments, so I will probably add some later on, but for now, just assume I love everything else about that client Smile

/Nighteye

PS. Get on IRC already ^^
maysrill

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Cyrus-Havoc wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
One feature I absolutely LOVE: the feature that lets you see the "history" of a particular player throughout the match. When he was fielded, who blocked him unconscious and at which turn, and so on. And the total number of turns on the pitch. Statistics maniacs will love you for it.
I know I do Wink

Let me echo this stats I love them!

I will never get enough stats! If I had ESPN-type box scores and player stats, I'd never watch real sports again! (well, maybe I still would...). We could even have Fantasy Football Fantasy Football!

I love calculated stats as much if not more than counting stats. It's one thing to see that my BoB has 23 cas to lead the team, but what is his cas/block and cas/game. What % of players he blocks are knocked down, and what % of players knocked down are KO'ed or cas. When can we get the Elias Sports Bureau to start tracking this stuff? Smile

Thanks for all the hard work Kalimar. People aren't nitpicking or complaining with the flood of bug reports, it's people pitching in to help. We've been eager bystanders so far, but now there's the opportunity for everyone to contribute.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar, keep going, you are doing great! I am so excited for the new client and I haven't even had a chance to play yet. I unistalled the old client a while ago and this has kept me interested. I'm happy to just be able to lend a very small hand in it to help move it along.

Don't be worried about bugs. You have more skills & teams already implemented than an unmentioned "game developer" (and I use the term loosely), and you are fixing them at an astounding rate.

I think it looks worse than it is, and some of this is forum confusion imo. I would suggest:
- changing this forum to "FFB Client Beta Discussion"
- leave the FFB Client Bugs title
- Change LRB5 to LRB5/6 Rules (or Discussion)

And be very vigilant to make people not use LRB5 or this forum for bug reports. The last thing you want are bugs scattered everywhere you look. Put them in one place to tackle when you have the time and energy.

Great Work!
Calthor

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to add my support: It's a great client. We're all just very enthusiastic!
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
I think it looks worse than it is, and some of this is forum confusion imo. I would suggest:
- changing this forum to "FFB Client Beta Discussion"
- leave the FFB Client Bugs title
- Change LRB5 to LRB5/6 Rules (or Discussion)

And be very vigilant to make people not use LRB5 or this forum for bug reports. The last thing you want are bugs scattered everywhere you look. Put them in one place to tackle when you have the time and energy.

Great Work!

Would just like to add that this forum have always been where players reported bugs. The other forum is locked, and it is only for the bugs that have already been identified and fixed.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, my mistake. Embarassed
Ballcrusher

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just tried the new client once and I love it! Of course there will be some differences from skijunkies clients that you have to get used to and learn, but just after that one game I can see huge improvements in your client compared to the old one. Just to name a few examples:

The "stand up and end turn" action - saves a lot of clicks and time
The automove-function - a lot of players you move from A to B without dodges and now you can move 8 squares with one click in stead of moving one square at a time... great!
All the stats and mouse-over-info on CAS'ed players - love it
The live-replay function - fantastic for spectators
The odds-calculator for dodges - great for new and inexperienced players to learn the rules
The server that hosts the games - never again all those reload-troubles...
And of course as already mentioned: the flying ball... good stuff

Just to name a few things that caught my eye after one game.

Keep up the good work Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm well impressed mate, keep up the good work.

When it's complete, we'll have <i>the</i> way to play BB online. Sod that pretty pretender.

Edit: Have I missed the bit where you can put your on icons in, or is that yet to come?

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %21, %2010 - %19:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
benjysmyth

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanted to add my thanks and support.

Have played four games today, and the client feels like second nature already. Things I love:

Automove - was wary when I heard about this, but it saves so much time.
Animations on pass and kick-off - simply a great touch!
Stats - as everyone else has mentioned, the level of detail is quite staggering.
Stability of server - had a couple of proxy crashes and straight back in the game in seconds. Very user friendly, especially for newcomers to the site.

I could go on, but i'd just be repeating what everyone else has already said. In any case, I'll be doing as much playtesting as possible as I'm hooked!
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar, I specced a game last night and I am soo impressed!

You as one man have made a better game than some frenchies ever could!
 Jump to: