38 coaches online • Server time: 15:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

There's about a week to the next power rankings, but right now the rising stars are looking like Carolina and the Jetz, plus of course Seattle (their rise is old news by now) and Chicago and Indy, now that their coaching situations are worked out. Smeat was on his way up before he left: let's see how Elliott_The_Lame handles the squad. As of this moment, the last two Superbowl champs are falling, Green Ball possibly even out of the top ten.

As to where you stand, Licker... well, if I had to set up the rankings now, I'd set you (3-0-2) up exactly one spot higher than the Krakens (2-1-2), to build drama for the head-to-head in Week 6. So yeah, probably a little bump up. But the actual JRPRs will probably come out after that game, when one of you will be around #12 and one of you will be around #20. Or not....

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, I'm gonna do ten power rankings every season.
Post-Builders
Week 1
Week 3
Week 5
Week 7
Week 9
Week 11
Week 13
Postseason
Pre-Draft

Additionally, I'm going to do a special feature for Week 8. Stay tuned.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe...

I don't really care where I stand, the lower the better as far as I'm concerned. Smile

My goal for this season was still player development, wins are just a bonus, but NA lacks so many fundamentals to be a 'top team' that I hardly worry about the record.
oryx

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

That's basically where I am too... I play to win, because I barely know another way to play. But records hardly matter when you're still mostly rookies!
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Guys, I don't know where you're coming from.

Licker especially, you should know better, oh Season IX AFC Champ. Burgun came in with low expectations and looks like he won't meet them, and Bullroarer got off like a shot but he's a paper tiger. Yeah, there's Apojar, so your missing the playoffs wouldn't stun me, but I think your efforts to sandbag what's clearly an in-the-pack team are hilarious.

Oryx, you're carrying a big albatross in an inherited four losses. I'd be stunned if you made the playoffs from that division. But record most definitely matters. Last season, we didn't have an Expansion Draft (though the depth on the main draft was a little better), and the expansion teams did terribly. I managed to post 7-2-5, and I'm quite proud of that record considering the circumstances. Playoffs? Heh, I felt like I had a prayer, but that just breaking even or a little better would be a good statement. Your math is different (your team is stronger than mine was then, but you start four games in the hole), but your goal should be the same. Anything near .500 (I'd set a target like 18 victory points, 6 wins or 5 wins 3 ties) says you made chicken salad out of you-know-what, and if you make the playoffs or whatever that's gravy.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sand bagging, this isn't the NWFL Wink

I'm just saying my expectations for this season were low because I know what the team lacks to compete with the top teams in the league. Loosing Drew didn't help any either, though I think it was the right thing to do as I wasn't happy with the performance of that particular build on that particular bull.

Of course I'm trying to win my games, but I'm also trying to have a core of blockers to use for the future. So far so good, if I get some luck with skills for them then who knows, but for now, it's painfully difficult to play against developed teams as I lack the necessary pieces to reliably beat them. So, I play to undevelop them Wink
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I happen to agree with licker. JR's early preview of my team was accurate. Undeveloped pact generally doesn't have the tools to beat a developed anything. With this cycle, my opponents play the meat grinders before playing my team. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes my bigs just don't cooperate. At the beginning of the season I expected my wins and ties to equal my losses. I may luck out and break the 0.500 mark.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Back in my day, we didn't get no pansy tushed expansion draft. We lost our sole draftee within minutes, and we LIKED it.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

And that's kind of what I'm looking to avoid. I don't know what "sandbagging" is, but here's my perspective -

As a new team, this isn't my season to go for glory. If glory should find me along the way, well then I hope I'll be ready for it. But in the meantime, my goals are to preserve my draft picks, skill up to hit the basics - enough tackle, enough guard, a ball handler, a killer - and prepare for the following seasons.

Perhaps I simply don't understand the system very well. My perception is that, yes, record matters very much - it's ideal either to win em all, or lose em all for draft picks. Since I'm carrying 4 losses and I'm not comfortable with the team yet, it makes sense to lose em all - I just don't have it in me.

Then again, by winning I get spps, and ultimately winning consistently and scoring and maiming a lot is going to get me further than hanging back for better draft picks, so there's advantages to both.

Other than winning enough to make it to the playoffs, losing enough to get good draft picks, and building divisional and inter divisional rivalries, how does record matter?
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, there's more to it than that. Pride matters. In the NFL history, there are only two teams ever to have winless seasons, and it's a source of shame for both franchises. One of these teams, it was their expansion season, it was 40 years ago, and they've won a Superbowl since... but it is what it is and there's no ditching it.

You can't measure your success this season in wins or in draft position (though hint: better to draft 20th than 1st) this season. You measure your success in pride, in what you did with what you had. Sure, the playoffs and SB aren't your target, though I'm sure you'll make the run if the cards fall right. But coming out with an expansion team, you want to beat the expansion teams, you want to play most of the better squads close, and maybe beat a couple, and you want to go down swinging. That matters more than any draft pick ever could, and it's more plausible than any postseason pipe dream from 1-0-4.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2013 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well then we're in complete agreement =D For me, it isn't too much about pride - after all, pride cometh before a fall - but coming out swinging, ending up on top even as the underdog, and generally having a good old fashioned mashup is what it's all about!
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2013 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

My glory last season, for my floundering Buffalo squad was to beat the eventual AFC Champs during the regular season (granted I rather diced Duder's Texasaurus with early cas, but still Wink)

Team development happens... but winning is the thing you remember, cuz players die. Wins live on in history.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2013 - 02:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, wtf are you guys talking about. There's only one way to play this game: Just Win Baby

Don't drop the soap.
licker

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2013 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

No body is playing to lose.

Some of us are looking more forward than others though.

My expectations for this season were not to win a super bowl though I'll certainly be trying to do that. However, along the way I have other issues to take care of because I know what the draft usually has to offer for those who pick in the 20s or later. Not a lot of help for a team that has shitty linemen...
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2013 - 06:06 Reply with quote Back to top

hi Matt,

I'm having computer problems. I receive PMs but cannot reply.