30 coaches online • Server time: 01:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2014 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Should we consider a name change? With the Cleveland Men and Cleveland Women gone, the pun loses some of its punch. Maybe we'll wait until after the season to leave Cleveland in the middle of the night for a larger venue, just like any good Cleveland football team.

Hmmm… larger venue. U.N. Der World?

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2014 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

So when are we moving on to the final ass kicking for White Rock?

I want to see how far I can fall with my crappy tie breakers after zigs gets through thrashing us.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2014 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Better you than me! And I came very close to being where you are.

Of course, my "prize" is playing the Shard Warriors - bonus. I'm so relieved. Rolling Eyes

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Ziggyny

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2014 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering if the Cleveland Children was an homage to the Men and Women. I like it! My poor Women kept dying so I gave up on them. 8(
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2014 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

This show… when it goes on road? We want our final preseason victim!

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2014 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The last week of the Preseason is almost over, but it has not been without cost for some. Even without counting journeymen, there were five perms and a whopping nine RIPs dished out so far in Week 4 of the Preseason, with three matches yet to play. (And by "yet to play", I hopefully mean "being played tonight.") Notably:

- Star blitzer Jimmy Joe II of the Shadowland Golds retired after his neck was broken by a warrior from the Vancouver Rot-Nucks. The Golds have already replaced him with Jimmy Joe III, but the loss of a rookie catcher in the same game puts them behind on positionals.

- The Joplin Disasters lost yet another dark elf - not a significant SPP loss, since he was only two games in, but it forces them to start from scratch yet again on that position.

- The Buenos Aires Titans lost Mister Moto, a Guard/Block catcher and their top SPP player to date.

- The New York Rats took a -MA injury to the +MA gutter runner Freerat McNeil, although word has not yet come in if that will be a retirement injury. New York did roll +ST on another gutter after the game, though, making the injury easier to bear.

- Super Star werewolf Metcalf of the St. Luna Cardiac Cardinals took a -AG perm by the chainsaw of Hack Enslash. Metcalf now has the unusual stat-line of 7428, and his future with the franchise is unclear.

- The Necropolis Priest Kings had a very bad day, taking three CAS, all RIPs, and failing all three Regeneration rolls. The loss of a rookie skeleton to a failed dodge was relatively minor. Block tomb guardian Heru-Ras lost a fight with a mummy, though, and Super Star blitzer Ilketh was torn apart after being pushed into the crowd. Added to the loss of Super Star thro-ra Askor in the first week of the Preseason, Necropolis will be a long time rebuilding.
Kalessin

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2014 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Watching yesterday's Priest Kings' losses was harsh. Amazing streak of bad luck with regen there.
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2014 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm tempted to not hire anyone for the first game so I can start the season with 4 loners.
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2014 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

4 loners is one too many.

I'd rehire the elf and just see how the season goes with 3 loners.
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2014 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I'm sure I'll rehire the dark elf... again. Probably won't bother with a mino until I get some players and cash saved up.
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2014 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The divisions have been set, and the Regular Season is a go. As always, the Preseason has not sorted the teams out perfectly, with some divisions looking more dangerous than others. Here is my views on how the AWC divisions are likely to play out. Look for NWC to follow.

AWC East

The Winchester Wicked Wrongdoers are a juggernaut at the moment, having followed up last season's Superior Bowl win with domination of the Preseason. It is worth noting that they were a coin-flip away from exiting the playoffs in the first round, and their second playoff game also went to a shootout, so they aren't invincible. The Argentinian Caudillos will get a chance to prove that soon - they won the AWC last season, and are spoiling for a fight. North West will need to get on the bounce fast to keep up with those two, while Stone City is likely not developed enough to be a contender.

Prediction: Argentina takes the heads-up series against Winchester, but the Wrongdoers edge them out to win the division. Argentina snags a wild-card slot.

AWC North

A very interesting division, with all of the teams having both good and bad aspects. The Buenos Aires Titans are still young, but have put together an impressive record in their first ten games. Joplin has taken a massive amount of permanent damage over their last several games, leaving them short on multiple positionals, but also have a number of highly skilled players. Los Angeles is also just starting out, but even rookie Chaos Dwarfs are dangerous. Vancouver has a very impressive set of big guys, but has had problems turning those into TDs.

Prediction: Very close here. I'm going to go with Joplin, predicting that they manage to build to the second half of the season and put together an impressive run in the back seven games. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these teams at the top of the division standings after Week 14, though.

AWC South

Nocturne Falls is looking hungry, with a +ST POMBer wight on the edge of Legendhood, a stat-freak ball-carrier, and good support from the rest of the team. The Argentine Noldorins might take a run at them, but have taken a lot of damage recently. Detroit has plenty of punch, but also perms on their few players who can reliably score. Colorado has not developed enough yet to be a major threat.

Prediction: After fluking out of the playoffs two seasons ago, then fluking in last season, Nocturne Falls settles down and cruises to the division title.

AWC West

Alethkar is plenty positive on both TDs and CAS, with a very flexible squad. Slann Frogcisco has had ongoing injury woes, and has only just filled up to 11 permanent players. Surrey has lost the skinks they used to lean on to make plays, but retain an impressive set of sauri, and have new hero skinks in the pipeline, should they live that long. Essen has a great team on paper, but suffer from the standard vampire inconsistencies.

Prediction: Alethkar homes in on the weak points of the rest of the division and comes out on top. Surrey and Essen battle it out for the second wild-card slot, with... (flips coin...) Surrey squeaking in.

As a side note, two seasons ago, the AWC West managed to swoop both of the wild-card slots to put three of their four members into the playoffs. I think the Argentinian Caudillos out of the East will stop that from happening this season... but if any division in the AWC has a chance of stealing both wild-card slots, it's the West.

DW1: Winchester Wicked Wrongdoers
DW2: Alethkar Shard Warriors
DW3: Nocturne Falls Honey Badgers
DW4: Joplin Disasters
WC1: Argentinian Caudillos
WC2: Surrey Serpents
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2014 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I did my annual tackle check.

Not as good as last year Sad

Still only 3 of 7 teams have it, and only 2 of those have more than 1, and one of those is CD who don't have it anywhere other than blockers.

I expect that will change as the season progresses, but if you're a blodger in the AWCN/NWCS pairing there's only a couple dangerous teams. And there's not a ton of MB/Tackle either Smile
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2014 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have more if my guys didn't keep dying. I'll see what I can do with my single one, though, just for you.
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2014 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

As promised, my NWC predictions. Here we go!

NWC East

Lindisfarne has few weak points aside from the standard Norse armour. Necropolis lost two Super Stars and a Star during the Preseason, and will be a long time recovering. Kansas has managed to win their first two games, but with no skills on sauri will be hard-pressed to contine that success throughout the season. B.Aires has yet to find their groove.

Prediction: Lindisfarne strolls to victory.

NWC North

Nehekhara had a very successful rookie season, making it to the Superior Bowl before falling to Winchester, and have brought the squad back for another try. Har Ganeth is a perpetual contender for the playoffs, but also injury-prone, and are short on Mighty Blow compared to their norm. Butte is looking good, lacking only some Tackle to deal with shifty Dodgers. Copper Island is still building.

Prediction: Har Ganeth elfs their way to the top, chased by both Nehekhara and Butte.

NWC South

White Rock is short one of their heroes, but still has a large amount of +stats and a well-developed core. St. Luna's top player was also just hurt, this time for a -AG perm, and the rest of the team is solid but not exceptional. New York is still training up, and while rookie skaven can be dangerous, they will probably not be a serious threat this season. Cleveland is also building, but have already acquired a ClawPOMBer, and will be playing spoiler if nothing else.

Prediction: White Rock lands on top. St. Luna chases a wild-card slot but falls short.

NWC West

Green Back maintains a solid core, with plenty of Guard and a couple stats. R'lyeh is still building, but has gotten Block on a number of players and a couple +AGs. Hollywood is further behind on development, and has no catchers as of yet. Shadowland has lost some skilled players recently, but still has a pair of Super Stars to build around.

Prediction: Shadowland regains the form that saw them win the AWC last year and takes the division, with Green Back in hot pursuit.

DW1: Lindisfarne Midnight Sons
DW2: Har Ganeth Korsairs
DW3: Shadowland Golds
DW4: White Rock Midnight
WC1: Nehekhara Guardians
WC2: Green Back Smackers

Tell me why I'm wrong!
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2014 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the first installment of NWFL recaps! For those of you who are new to the league, I endeavour to recap every single regular season game, so that you can keep up with what is going on in the rest of the league without having to watch every single game. Recaps are usually posted twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays. Subscribe to the thread if you haven't already by clicking on the clock icon near the top right of this forum page. Enjoy!

Week 1
AWC South vs. NWC North

Har Ganeth Korsairs 2 - Colorado Chipmunks 1

Colorado went for a damage packet of inducements, grabbing Glart Smashrip Jr., a chainsaw, and a bribe to go with their Babe. This worked for a little while, the dark elf apo being needed to save a three-skill lino from death, but Har Ganeth gave as good as they got, and managed a 1d Leap blitz on the ball-carrier to knock the ball free. The teams traded possession for a few turns before the ball was sent into the crowd, ending up near midfield. The Korsairs got to it first, keeping the Chipmunks away, but a misclicked GFI on turn 8 cost Har Ganeth their chance to score that half. Fouls and beats flowed in the second half, but Colorado was not able to get to the ball, and a Korsair received a pass on turn 5 to score. Colorado came back with a two-turn touchdown. Har Ganeth took advantage of a Quick Snap to move almost their entire team into the offensive zone, and a successful 1d blitz got them a two-turn TD of their own. Colorado went for Throw Team-Mate on the final turn of the game, but failed the Right Stuff roll.

AWC North vs. NWC South

White Rock Midnight 1 - Buenos Aires Titans 0

Buenos Aires got a Blitz to start the game, but snaked a dodge before they could get near the ball. The same catcher marked the ball-carrier the next turn, only to be killed through apo on the return hit. White Rock laid the beats on, inflicting three other CAS as well over a couple turns. Buenos Aires called in a lightning bolt to spring the ball, but their pass was dropped on their third snake of the game. The Midnight got it back and headed downfield. A snake from White Rock gave the Titans a shot at the ball, but they could not find a Pow. White Rock reversed the other way, but their pass was dropped. Buenos Aires marked the ball. A Skulled block ate White Rock's last reroll on turn 8, and a failed handoff ended the first half with no score, but with White Rock up 10-7 on bodies. Another Blitz gave the Midnight the ball in the second half. The Titans popped it once, but White Rock recovered, and Buenos Aires could not find Pows on later turns. The Midnight ran it back and forth along the goal line before taking the turn 8 win.

Los Angeles Reapers 2 - Joplin Disasters 1

Joplin started on offence. A failed journeyman block on turn 2 gave Los Angeles a shot at the ball-carrier, but their bull centaur snaked the GFI, and Joplin moved forward. LA called in their wizard, who only went 1-for-3, but Badly Hurt the dark elf ball-carrier, drawing the apo to keep him in the game. A Reaper stole the ball. Joplin's troll, after two turns of confusion, finally acted, but Skulled a block and failed Loner, and Los Angeles got clear for the eventual first score. Joplin contained the Reapers in the second half, but had problems getting the ball off LA's Blodge bull centaur. They finally surfed him, but a bad throw-in and a failed GFI let a Reaper reclaim it for 2-0. Joplin went on offence with three turns left, and got the rolls they needed to score on turn 8.

AWC West vs. NWC East

Kansas Raptors 1 - Necropolis Priest Kings 0

The Priest Kings rushed the line on Perfect Defence, and the brawl was on. A Raptor broke through the middle with the ball, but was marked by Legend thro-ra Valdeth. Kansas tried blitzing him off, but his +ST gave them only a 1d, and Both Down into Both Down failed that roll, letting Necropolis down the ball-carrier and steal the ball. Kansas fell back in time to blitz the ball-carrier down, though, sending the game to half with no score. Both sides started the second half down bodies, but Kansas's induced stars gave them a bit of a buffer. The Raptors got a Blitz to start the second half, and quickly tied up the Priest Kings. Necropolis swung around the side, and almost got out of range, but a blitzing chainsaw broke armour to stun their ball-carrier. Kansas collected the ball and ran it downfield. Necropolis marked the ball-carrier, but Helmut Wulf again came through for the stun, and Kansas took the turn 8 score for the win.

AWC East vs. NWC West

Winchester Wicked Wrongdoers 2 - R'lyeh Regulars 0

R'lyeh got a Blitz to start, with a long kick placing the ball in the end zone. They punched in, then called for a turn 0 fireball on four Wrongdoers, KOing one and stunning two. The ball bounced out, though, and Winchester handed it to a bull for safekeeping. The teams brawled in the center of the field, with Winchester finally breaking out on turn 6. R'lyeh trapped the ball-carrier on the sidelines, but he used a blitz and Break Tackle to get free and score. The Regulars couldn't score in two turns. Winchester got the Blitz for the second half, but rerolled a block into Skulls to waste the opportunity. R'lyeh returned the favour by hitting Both Down/Skull with their minotaur, who made Loner but just hit Both Down/Skull again. R'lyeh got the ball to midfield but couldn't protect it, and a Break Tackle blitz let a Wrongdoer score again. R'lyeh's passing game continued to underperform, and Winchester got the ball again. The Regulars managed to stop the third score, but could not score themselves.

Argentinian Caudillos 2 - Shadowland Golds 2

The teams skirmished for a few turns before Argentina took advantage of Nerves of Steel to move the ball in for a touchdown. Shadowland went deep off the kickoff for a two-turn score. The Caudillos hooked in, and Shadowland used their wizard to bolt a marker, clearing a path to 2d blitz the ball-carrier. They stole the ball, but could not stop a return 2d blitz, and when the ball scattered clear Argentina reclaimed it to go up 2-1. Shadowland came in fast in the second half, but a Leap blitz sprang the ball, and they were forced to take some time to make the ball safe again. They moved in again, but could not find a Pow to clear a Diving Tackle blitzer out of the way of their ball-carrier. Argentina used the delay to again 1d blitz the ball free, but could not pick it up out of two tackle zones. Shadowland got it back, but it was late enough in the half that they began stalling instead of scoring. Argentina blitzed it free yet again on turn 7, but failed a dodge when moving their DT blitzer in to mark, and a Gold was able to dodge free and grab the ball to tie the game.

Hollywood Roundup Gang 2 - Stone City SkullCrushers 1

Stone City failed a 1d blitz on their first turn. The Roundup Gang charged the backfield, but a SkullCrusher was able to dodge free to grab the ball, then dodge again on the next turn to run it forward. He left his screen behind, though, and Gangers caught up with him to steal the ball, scoring the next turn. Stone City restarted their attack, smashing several Gangers out of the game, but a 1d blitz knocked the ball free. A SkullCrusher reclaimed it but failed a GFI. Hollywood snagged the ball, but their attempted handoff was dropped, and the ball bounced back to the same Roundup Ganger who was trying to hand it over. Stone City knocked him down, then made rolls to grab the ball and pass it in for a turn 8 TD. Stone City Blitzed to lead off the second half, but Hollywood weathered that, scoring in two turns. Stone City started another drive, but Hollywood continued to hit the ball, knocking it free on another 1d. Stone City reclaimed it, and while they could not protect it, the bounce was caught by another SkullCrusher. He got free, and an attempt at pursuing saw a Ganger MNG herself on a failed dodge. Stone City got the ball forward, but a wardancer again knocked the ball free on a 1d, and this time Stone City failed the pickup. The Gang moved it back but could not keep it safe, but managed Leap/pickup/pass/catch on their last turn to move it back across the line of scrimmage. Stone City could not find Pows to get it free, and Hollywood kept their lead as time expired.
 Jump to: