29 coaches online • Server time: 10:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

To me the most likely explanation would be a software or connection error. You said you took care of making sure everything was properly ins.... oh I almost forgot...

don't install any 64 bit java versions on your computer.. they are messy.. just use the 32 bit version... you also didnt mention your OS

now if china were to block the server completely that could be an explanation but... just needs a proxy server to get around that... you'd think everyone in china uses that :p personally I don't think it's china..

I'll have to think about this a bit more.
Sr_Nadie

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 06:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh sorry, I missed that one. I use Windows XP. Uninstalled the 64 bit version and will talk to a friend about the proxy server thing. Never used it because it is said to make the internet slower (even slower, if you can belibe that) but it is worth a try.
Thanks for all your help and hope I helped myself in any way too. If you need anything else, just ask.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 06:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I have ponderd over it a little.

The best explanation is really an issue with Java or FFB, just as the original poster suspected with his system.

Just make sure you really have everything pertaining to java completely uninstalled, make sure to have a nice clean 32 up to date patched version of java on your system. Then take your AVG off for a moment and try for it to work...

unfortunatly thats all I can suggest for now. I'll check in in a couple of hours. In any case, best of luck.
Sr_Nadie

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow that was a fast pondering. Just for thoroughness (I am pretty sure that is misspelt Very Happy )I redid all the steps mentioned before with the AVG uninstalled. the steps I took where the following:

1.- Deleted all the old files.

2.- Deleted actual Java version.

3.- Cleared cache.

4.- Installed Java version 7.51.

5.- Tried loading a new match, an old match to review and an ongoing match. At this point I got exactly the same mistake again.

6.- Opened a Java based game from another site to make sure Java was actually working. (it did work)

This makes me mostly certain that it was not an AVG related issue but canĀ“t say much more of it. For now I am leaving, but if you want me to try something else, just post it here, and I will try it when I am back.
Roland

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I could spec on friday, but not start game at night bbtime (~22).
I have mcafee. Will try on avg computer tonight.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh Jees McAfee and avg on each computer. I urge you to uninstall both bits of malware fully. The install MSE . You must really hate your computer to use avg or McAfee. Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Mcaffee is on work computer though Wink nothing i can do about that.
Avg will be replaced anyway...
Roland

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, and im not in china Wink
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

@Roland, could you post what error message you precisely recieve?

@Sr.Nadie, the best way to exclude China as possibility would be to try it from another computer.

There is no garantee you two have the same issue.

Ok, right lets look in the XP issue and the dropped support.

Roland, do you use XP too? From what I read, XP will not be working with Java 8, but should be working with Java 7.
Roland

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I get no message at all...
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
I get no message at all...

Ok, this is definatly something very different.

McAffee can be hardly the reason, that is actually supported by Java.

The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't show a message is if it is just started empty and doesn't even run the client.
That was pretty much your first thought too, right?

Please make sure that you have followed all the steps I mentioned in my first post.

...ok...
1. delete all you java.jnlp files.
2. Then follow the instructions in my first post.
3. There should be only one ffb.jnlp file in your folder now.
4. Right click on it, select open with:
5. Ignore the default options and any javaws.exe mentioned there. Click on browse instead.
6. Browse through your folders. Find your up to date 32 bit 7.51 java folder.
8. Select the javaws.exe file from that folder to start the client.
Yay, it works!

@Sr. Nadie, I'm gunno assume it's china for ya man, sry Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Make sure you don't have any old versions of java on the computer too. McAfee is just work computer I believe wreckage, which hasn't been tried yet. The only one he tested on is avg computer.

I had this problem when I recently played a game while at my parents. The exact same thing happened I fixed it by updating my java.I wouldn't be suprised if you had multiple versions of java installed at one time which would cause the problems you are describing.

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

McAfee is just work computer I believe wreckage, which hasn't been tried yet. The only one he tested on is avg computer.

I think he said the opposite. Anyways, an AVG problem would pertain to the download of the client. It would produce an error message or more likely just get stuck on the download process.
If that happens after he has fixed the actual problem, we can still focus on that :p.

Garion wrote:

I wouldn't be suprised if you had multiple versions of java installed at one time which would cause the problems you are describing.

Thats what I was thinking too. If he is selecting the javaws.exe from the default menu, it will 'appear' to be the right file, while it might be actually an outdated version or even a version that isn't on his computer anymore.
Also, if he can't neither connect from home nor from work, that would be a possible answer, due to him messing with both systems Razz.. so I'm pretty confident about this solution...

There is also the possibility that the work computer has been blocked on purpose. However, why would that result in Javaws.exe start without error message?
Sr_Nadie

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

And as expected, it got solved on its own... one can only wonder if the chinese internet officials have nonthing better to do. Then again, it probably is nothing but a bad internet connection and a paranoid foreigner (aka ME). Sorry for the inconvinience and thanks for all the support. Really would have liked to help more. Good luck with your problem Roland.
Roland

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope, didnt work.
Going to try to reinstall and make sure its 32 bit.
(Right now i have the recommended which i assume is 64)
 Jump to: