50 coaches online • Server time: 18:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2015 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't get me wrong, I'm a human coach and love playing them but at the same time I know one lone ag3 player on his own that early in the match is not going to be any kind of worry or problem for an elf team to cover.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2015 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

"Critical"? "Decisive"? If it wasn't mis-communicated/mis-understood, then if he wasn't lying to you he was lying to himself.

The only real advantage that a (standing) player there might give is to push your stonewall defense back further than otherwise, back an extra square or two. As mentioned above, your response is to mark w/ an assist, blitz him (at worst to the sidelines, surf-potential next turn), and reform the defensive wall based on that as one end.

You were down to 9 players (1 out, 1 Stunned), so would have to decide which side to leave open, but he could only swing to that side before you'd swing in front of him and cover - and then even MA 8 would have a problem getting back clear to the first side again and turn that corner with only 3 Turns remaining.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2015 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I tend to think he could have made a pretty important difference if the drive had been played properly.

I am not saying it is a critical mistake but I would try to avoid it in the situation.

All the people saying you will just knock him down on a blitz is kind of confirming that he is in a key position and you only have 50% chance of knocking him down and you only have one blitz so you will not be pushing back his offense in the turn in question.

That being said he had a big chance of getting him in position with out gfi and the failed gfi was no where near the top of the reasons he didn't score on the drive. I would get tactical advice somewhere else. Smile
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2015 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Tripleskull wrote:
All the people saying you will just knock him down on a blitz is kind of confirming that he is in a key position...

Meh - it's confirming that he becomes the obvious blitz target.

Quote:
...so you will not be pushing back his offense in the turn in question.

Is that really a realistic yardstick, with 10 elves? I would think "stopping the score" is the measure of success here, the goal for the D, and that one player, while a solid toe-hold, is not "key" to the offense preventing that. (I think we agree it's a solid toe-hold, and a leverage point that would be better if prevented in the first place, just also far from a lock.)

pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2015 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

anyone who tells you in game that you have made "a critical mistake and if it hadn't failed it would have been decisive" is basically being a dick.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2015 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:
Tripleskull wrote:
All the people saying you will just knock him down on a blitz is kind of confirming that he is in a key position...

Meh - it's confirming that he becomes the obvious blitz target.

Quote:
...so you will not be pushing back his offense in the turn in question.

Is that really a realistic yardstick, with 10 elves? I would think "stopping the score" is the measure of success here, the goal for the D, and that one player, while a solid toe-hold, is not "key" to the offense preventing that. (I think we agree it's a solid toe-hold, and a leverage point that would be better if prevented in the first place, just also far from a lock.)

I think our disagreement is more or less semantical.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2015 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

More or less, sure.

The point I was emphasizing is that, when running a "stonewall" D, you don't want to place an assist for a Blitz out of position (esp not when you only have 9 players for the next Turn). So rather than have to choose which single offensive player to "push back" (often meaningless re how far the ball advances), the Offense has volunteered a target, and one that would have been in a very convenient location for the D (as far as maintaining that "double-deep" Defensive formation).

So the fact that he is the blitz target is less b/c he is in a "key position" (which is purely coincidental) - it's because he can be blitzed with no loss in maintaining defensive position, which is the sole priority.

If he had been a bit deeper, if the D had to choose between dropping an assist deep to blitz him OR maintaining their double-deep line, ~then~ his position would have been far more problematic.

Last edited by Smeat on %b %30, %2015 - %20:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2015 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Tripleskull wrote:
All the people saying you will just knock him down on a blitz is kind of confirming that he is in a key position and you only have 50% chance of knocking him down and you only have one blitz so you will not be pushing back his offense in the turn in question.

I said that.

My understanding was that the 'mistake' was that a) the blitzer was allowed to go there in the first place, meaning the elfish team didn't screen the entire pitch.

The mistake wasn't game decisive because b) the blitzer fell on the ground.

I was referring to that notion in the context of the statement:
IF you believe the blitzer poses such a threat standing, THEN you are ignoring that your opponent can still knock him down.

Then I continued and said: It is fine to utterly ignore a lone blitzer downfield mid game. Hence, that he isn't in a game deciding position at all. If you play it through the worst he can do on his own is to score next turn. Which then means the elfish ones have offense again and they end up having a 3 turn offense, the easiest to play for an elfish team.

The most appealing reason to blitz him there for me would probably be that he is isolated and could be pushed against the wall. Strategically I would ignore even a standing lone reciever mid game if I needed players for something else.

EDIT: Finally, guess have to do all the thinking, if you do dedicate two players on him and do not knock him down, it does not matter either. What is a crappy human blitzer gonna do next to the wall with 2 zones on him that a prone blitzer couldn't do?
licker

Post   Posted: May 01, 2015 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Dumbest thread ever. Not the fault of the OP, this is the fault of the responses.

Even Jimmys response is unsatisfactory, it lacks emotion.
 Jump to: