20 coaches online • Server time: 02:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Biscuits or Cake?
Biscuits
19%
 19%  [ 23 ]
Cake
29%
 29%  [ 36 ]
Cocaine... or raisins!
51%
 51%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 121

Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Hammerhiem is a curious round-about name.

Originally sourced from Middenheim, i used it as the surname for a couple of Warhammer roleplay charicters as Hammerheim.

It got changed to Hammerhiem when i miss-spelled it on my Everquest charicter and prefered it that way.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I labelled myself Jinxed since err. I tend to be Jinxed... Very Happy

(ALWAYS blame dice, never point at lacking tactical genius! Wink )

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Mine is similar to Mezir and Darkwolf. It was the first D&D character I can remember making. I think I took it from the star "Arcturus" which is a bright star in the constellation Bootes, the Bear Driver. Acturus is named after Arktouros, Greek for Bear Guard (or so I'm told). With my favorite band being KISS, I'd figure I'd use the 'spaceman' for the avatar.

The name has always stuck throughout the years as an alter ego. I guess.

Last edited by Arktoris on %b %19, %2005 - %18:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Blast! Double post.

Last edited by Jinxed on %b %20, %2005 - %20:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Fama

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok... This might be complicated. My real name is Samuli. Now, back in the lower grades at school, there was this commercial at TV, something about clothes saying "we are family" or something. Of course, they noticed (the other kids) that "Samuli" and "family" are a bit close to each other (trust me, they are, not a lot tho), so they started calling me (after some more name-morphing) Fama. Sometimes they call me Famas tho (I like the gun btw). Anyway, I'm not surprised if you don't understand what I just wrote.
PhoenixDark

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

If u've seen 'Mystery Men', u'll know where my nick is from.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:
Needed a player name for some silly game once and took the name RedPhish - referencing to the band Phish...

I thought you were just a Dr. Seuss fan Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Μy surname translated in English is Captain. When I made a hotmail account I needed a number to add to Captain.
The first number that crossed my mind was 1821 which is the year that the Greek revolution started, after 400 years of slavery.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Warning! Long winded story to follow! If you want the short version, look to bottom of post!

Long version:
My very first D&D character was a 1st edition ranger named Strider, for the LotR books I loved. (This was back before the movies, thank you very much.) For years, Strider was my name in everything I did which required a nickname. However, after I'd graduated from high school and was at college with my own computer, I started getting involved with online computer games, and the Zone (THE place to go at the time) already had Strider taken, as well as every variant I could think of. I had an appointment to play a classmate in 5 minutes, so I just grabbed the first random series of words to come to my head...aneaglescout, in reference to being a Boy Scout and earning the Eagle Scout rank (years earlier)--Eagle was already taken (obviously).

After a little bit, I came in contact with a group of gamers who were forming an online club revolving around the RTS game "Age of Kings", which was what I spent most of my time playing. I joined and shortened the nick back down to just Eagle (benefit of being one of the original founding members). After a bit, we gave our club the name "A Federation of Kings" (even longer story there, not relevant to this discussion), and from then on any club member who happened to visit the Zone would play using AFK_ to precede their name, to indicate membership in our club and advertise. (Federation of Kings is still active, alive and well, and always on the lookout for anybody who plays Age of Kings, Age of Mythology, Warcraft, etc.)

At this point I became AFK_Eagle on the Zone, and have used the nick for just about everything since, from fantasy football to fumbbl. I thought briefly of shortening to just "Eagle" once here, especially with the problems involved using underscores and automatic match reporting, but Eagle was already taken by the time I got here, so AFK_Eagle it has been. I guess if an admin were willing to help, I might switch back to my original nick of Strider, used for years of D&D, but there's no real rush. Everybody here on the forum and in the gaming chatrooms knows me as AFK_Eagle, and I'm sure there'd be a lot of confusion were I to suddenly change...

Short version:
Used some version of Eagle for years of online gaming, reference to my Boy Scout days. The AFK_ comes from another online gaming community I'm a member of, the Federation of Kings.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the stupidest, most ill though out nick here.

El guapo is the bad guy in the three Amigos, I dont speak Spanish and dont know what it means, thought it sounded cool.

So now Spanish people keep chatting spanish to me in IRC, plus if you know what it means i look pretty dam arrogant (loose translation is Beautiful One i think)

Oh yeh i spelt it wrong too

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Although my job for a small coroporation does tend to lean towards slavery at times, my nick acutally comes from a song by the same name (well, without the 3, which is me lucky number) by the Aussie group Snog, way back in '91. It was my favorite song in college.

One time playing a drinking game we all had to pick 'cool nicknames' for some reason ( I forget the game, probably because it was a drinking game...but you needed a nick for some reason) I took CorporateSlave and it kinda stuck with me since then in various on and offline capacities.

Funny thing being that two years ago, a bud of mine from college (who played that very drinking game with us the first time I used the nick) recognized the nickname on a paintball forum. He had since moved to Australia (coincidence? Or a conspiracy!) and I hadn't seen him in ages. I got a PM for him simply saying "is that you?"

A few weeks later I found Fumbbl and immediately told him about it (we had been in a tabletop league or two in college), to which he replied "OMG OMG OMG I am so there!" My nick allowing him to find his long lost buddy, who then allowed him to find his long lost game! Ah, the power of a nick to bridge the gap between the continents!

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

This could be cool for a GLN feature I think Smile
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought i get a name similar to EMPATHY so people would think im a nice guy...?
argh what the hell, i cant spell okay?!?!?!
Rimmer

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Red Dwarf

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Similar to plenty of others Shinan was my first Roleplaying character I made (for Drakar och Demoner). Since then Shinan has popped up in almost every roleplay I GM in one version or another (since I'm so sucky at names). A few years ago I made what I call the definite version of Shinan (the character) and I don't think he'll have very many incarnations after that one. But I always use the name online and as the first save game name in games...