51 coaches online • Server time: 18:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post One turn score list
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
polemarch

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all. Just reading posts and agree with Tomay. mostly. Smile

Probably why I needed a break too!

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 04:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not feeling it lately to be honest, I honestly don't enjoy the long running league format and prefer short (1 to 3 seasons) reset with mostly unskilled players developing into a mostly competent team.

I'll most probably retire at the end of this season until something changes with the game, or just sign up for fumbbl tourneys that start with low value limits.

Go the Count!
Rennigeb

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 04:44 Reply with quote Back to top

That was a painful game, even if I succeeded in getting a draw out of it. Unfortunately at that time I had lost interest in playing too, with my mind on real life issues. We had learnt in the pregnancy scan that my son have a heart defect, and when I didn't really care about the damage to the team, I knew it was time to leave.

I did return and tried to restore the glory with the "Adelaide Anvils TNG", but circumstances resulted my team being axed. Long story... all history now. For those that knew me back then, my son is going well, he had his third and hopefully last open heart surgery two months after I left back in 2009, and has improved greatly since then.

As for returning, time will tell.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Great news. All the best for the little fella.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 05:39 Reply with quote Back to top

BeefyGoodness wrote:
I'm not feeling it lately to be honest, I honestly don't enjoy the long running league format and prefer short (1 to 3 seasons) reset with mostly unskilled players developing into a mostly competent team.

I'll most probably retire at the end of this season until something changes with the game, or just sign up for fumbbl tourneys that start with low value limits.

It will be sad to see you leave. Maybe we can talk about a side league idea or you could keep your eyes out for the CBBA, it would be right up your alley with the player season cap.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay wrote:
much complaining about some coaches being uber competitive to the point of unsportsmanship

While I agree with a lot of what Tomay has said in his post about trying to keep the game enjoyable in game and not destroy other teams I think the key thing missing from most current teams is ongoing fluff between teams.

I am not saying that the current crop of coaches don't have sweet team bios, team logos and spend a lot of time making their own teams look good.

I am saying that this seems to have resulted in a lot of coaches being solely devoted to the progress of their own team over and above the league (I am aware I am being hypocritical on this as I have rarely posted in channel BB nor have I written any sweet match reports).

The one thing that I think I really miss in ongoing SWL competiion fluff are the old match reports and 3-2-1 twahnlows over the stat based end of season awards.

Any computer program can count the number of (insert random stat) here. Only a human can decide that that last turn TTM from Glart the giant Troll and that double GFI from Slippery Joe goblin was worth more to that game than Bob the CPOMB chaos warrior destroying a whole team.

Step one bring back some sort of coach awarded season MVP award and get coaches invested in the awards instead of just piling up the most fouls.

The second thing that actually gets me is what caused my little tantrum towards the end of last season in reggies.

It just isn't that much fun playing up with $750,000 of inducements every game in reggies (especially given that that reggies is meant to be for developing a team to compete in conferences).

I would hazard a guess that it just isn't that much fun doing the same thing in conferences (if you make it to prem and are still facing those same issues then you are an amazing coach and obviously know how to use those inducements).

For my own probably offensive opinion if you are starting a reggies season higher than 1500TV you really should have a look at yourself and why your team is still in reggies picking on the kindergarten kids. When it should be in high scholl getting beat up by a bigger bully.

For my mind bringing in a start of season team rating limit for reggies (and possibly conference) would go a long way to making reggies a bit more fun. I am not talking about anything too excessive but surely a reggies starting season cap of 1500TV would be pretty easy to stick to and not too onerous.

If you're interested join the Fringe
almic85

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

p.s. the above comment is not meant to be having a go at anyone in particular nor is it a swipe at the admins. Everyone I have played in the SWL has been fun to play against and the admins do a great job of keeping the SWL running in an often thankless task.

p.p.s. Because I have been involved in a real life sports club and league management and know how little thanks the admins actually get, thank you to all the admins for running a great league that we all take part in. You (along with everyone else involved in the SWL) are all f!@#ing awesome. Keep up the great work.

If you're interested join the Fringe
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 07:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Smile love you guys
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 08:33 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
Faulcon (season 1) and JoeKano (season 3) are the earliest serving coaches currently playing. Toonie (season 5) left us just recently, BeefyGoodness and Smegish (season 6), and Longshanks and eganra (season 7) make up the remaining coaches that played in the first 10 seasons.

Perhaps to add Rennigeb (season 1), who's finally forgotten the pain of that -ag on his passing dorf runner superstar, in a rather rough 3rd (and last, for the Anvils) game of the Season 9 Southern Conference.

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=733258

Compare Toonie's final straw, against The Colour of Money.

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3768188

It's a tough game, kids. Some days the stat breaks take an extra toll on the league.

Huh.....Season 3 wow. Now that's a long time and I am still crap haha.
I think I missed one season for the 2011 BloodBowl World Cup and European Tour. Hats off to Faulcs for his longlasting resilience.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

almic, it seems the trick is to take Morg, let Morg do everything, and you'll win your reggie easy. Still won't have much of a team left after, of course.

Anyway, value limits were in for the early years, and they are not good, because you can't grow fast enough to bridge the gap to the next level, so everyone just bounced up and down all the time. Not to mention, a bad run of luck and you've suddenly got to sack all your nice players, and then fail to bridge back up well like everyone else.

We could've just about had a 4th conference and just 1 reggie, but that would've put more middling teams up with the big boys, and there'd still be giants in reggies. Someone's always going to get a rough set of matches, and you've had more than your share.

Top work for sticking with those underworld despite all the injuries, consolations from a fellow wooden spoon winner. I've got the other problem, Goblins too big and have to buy my own bribes, still can't win anything. Except against the other goblins, naturally. Pitch cleared today, the ignominy of it. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

danielcollins wrote:
Smile love you guys

I miss DC Wink

Go the Count!
Irgy

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

almic85 wrote:
For my own probably offensive opinion if you are starting a reggies season higher than 1500TV you really should have a look at yourself and why your team is still in reggies picking on the kindergarten kids. When it should be in high scholl getting beat up by a bigger bully.

For my mind bringing in a start of season team rating limit for reggies (and possibly conference) would go a long way to making reggies a bit more fun. I am not talking about anything too excessive but surely a reggies starting season cap of 1500TV would be pretty easy to stick to and not too onerous.

A premptive disclaimer, I'm not personally offended by this, I don't see it as directed at me in any way and I wouldn't care if it was. But I do completely disagree with it, and I do think I'm in a good position to speak for high TV regional coaches.

My own story, to get it out of the way: I suck at Nurgle, and my team is taking forever to develop. I'm now the highest TV team in regionals at 1970TV but thanks to some greedy skill picks still lack a lot of key skills (8/14 players without block/wrestle, 11/14 without guard, 14/14 without tackle and 13/14 haven't taken any of the kill skills). Also note that as high as my TV is now I was the TV underdog in literally every game last season - not trying to complain about that or blame it, I couldn't care less, but it shows TV is a fluid thing.

I can see the appeal of a TV cap from the perspective of coaches with new teams and beat-up teams, and I'm not arguing it wouldn't benefit them. But you have to look at it from both perspectives, and for the teams actually affected by the cap, it sucks. From my experience, if I'd had to trim to 1500TW I'd honestly have redrafted instead.

You ask what high TV teams are doing in regionals, well firstly someone has to come 7th and 8th and there isn't always a better candidate. But basically there's three reasons: The team sucks, the coach sucks, or the last season of dice sucked (and it's usually a mix). And all three of them are terrible reasons to have to trim.

If the team sucks, well the last thing a team that sucks already needs is to have to trim as well (obviously most teams that suck are under 1500 already but I'm only talking about the teams the cap will impact here in the first place).

If the coach sucks, well why do we want a system that specifically picks out and punishes the bad coaches?

And if it's just a run of bad luck, well it's bad enough being stuck in regionals in the first place without the system kicking us while we're down as well. And this is not a game that needs more variance added!

The only time I'd say anyone deserves a trim is if someone's deliberately throwing games, but if that's the case there's better ways to deal with it.

There's two things that are different about LRB6 compared to the old system where we did have caps. Firstly there's inducements, and while I'd always rather be the higher TV team I've never gone into a game thinking I didn't have a decent chance at winning. But the second is that what with ageing and each skill adding more TV than the previous (because it was SPP based), in LRB4 a bit of trimming actually did a lot of teams good in the long run. So even when people didn't like it it was often (though I'm sure not always) for their own good. That's not the case any more, and so other than for abusing a TV-based matchmaking system, trimming generally just hurts.

If this is really a problem that needs solving my suggestion is bring the new teams up rather than pull the old teams down. Separate the new or badly beaten teams into a different pool. Or extend the trial of blood. I'm not a fan of adding more free-matched games in for other reasons, but you could have a whole extra tournament between the trial and regionals for instance (which ends up very similar to my other suggestion). Or plenty of other options.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting how long I played fumbbl before discovering swl

Yeah DC hope you come back to us one day

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
suttbutt

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy wrote:
almic85 wrote:

I can see the appeal of a TV cap from the perspective of coaches with new teams and beat-up teams, and I'm not arguing it wouldn't benefit them. But you have to look at it from both perspectives, and for the teams actually affected by the cap, it sucks. From my experience, if I'd had to trim to 1500TW I'd honestly have redrafted instead.

You ask what high TV teams are doing in regionals, well firstly someone has to come 7th and 8th and there isn't always a better candidate. But basically there's three reasons: The team sucks, the coach sucks, or the last season of dice sucked (and it's usually a mix). And all three of them are terrible reasons to have to trim.

If the team sucks, well the last thing a team that sucks already needs is to have to trim as well (obviously most teams that suck are under 1500 already but I'm only talking about the teams the cap will impact here in the first place).

If the coach sucks, well why do we want a system that specifically picks out and punishes the bad coaches?

And if it's just a run of bad luck, well it's bad enough being stuck in regionals in the first place without the system kicking us while we're down as well. And this is not a game that needs more variance added!

The only time I'd say anyone deserves a trim is if someone's deliberately throwing games, but if that's the case there's better ways to deal with it.

I resemble all of these remarks! Shocked

To be honest though, I've had 3 or 4 seasons of really bad luck / learning to not be such a shit coach. this season I've just failed to fire the way I'd like to have.

THAT ALL BEING SAID, yes I do want to go into conferences, i'd have liked to have been there this season, but I came 8th or 9th, I was literally the cut off point, 2nd highest TV in reggies (maybe highest now) and I'm still not dominating the conference?

ok so I'm a terrible coach, I get it Sad

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

The earliest, still recorded, PM I have here was from Tomay in 2010 trying to recruit me for SWL - followed by a lot of "Up for a game?", because that's how it was done, and multiple "Support Ticket Resolved" because I'm an idiot (11 not including IRC chat after temporarily being locked out of FUMBBL account). I put it off for 2 years though, and I only started playing SWL in season 46. To those who have played on from way before that and still have the fire, I have so much respect for you.

Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe you're addicted to beating Tomay, maybe it is, in fact, Maybelline. But to continue to remain focused and play on for such a long time (in 2+ hour blocks sometimes) is pretty cool in my book. Touching on an earlier discussion point, personally being burned out was not the player spirit, but the actual game. Let's keep it that way in SWL, even if Luo smells funny.

In regards to reggie TV, it has been in a weird state for a few seasons now as there have been a couple of big teams floating in and out. I think part of it is purely because of increased numbers of coaches/teams creating odd situations. There are a lot of names on the list now that I have never played in 104 appearances (not that I was ever comprehensive - I never played DC for example). It's not good to chop and change too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 4 conferences and a situation where SWL reverts to the old 4 up, 4 down into Prem (only now all 4 going up were outright Conference winners). Assuming of course, we don't see a further massive draft surge (which appears to have happened 1-2 seasons ago).

The annoying thing about having so many people in reggies is that it appears harder to get out of there without being a grandfather team (in terms of your fellow reggie peers) beating up newer teams or if there's a mass redraft/leaving from Conf/Prem. At least in conf, while the same problem might still occur, you're not also having completely fresh teams pumped at you and disparity shouldn't be too excessive (though they're not so fresh these days with more extensive ToBs). It's a place for building a team at an appropriate pace, but it shouldn't be a bottleneck.

I'm sure it's stuff that's been thought about, but important to remember. Or maybe this is just a long essay in an effort to get Prem back to 4 up/4 down but via 4 Confs Razz

EDIT: Anyone find it cute Rennigeb and Faulcon have the same join date? How sweet! Mr. Green