40 coaches online • Server time: 12:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Activation oncoming at 21:30.
Edit: Activated.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

One added wrinkle and one I need some help with thematically - 'Face' and 'Heel' points. These are going to be a group effort and something that accumulate based on which team you win with. This is just for fun and to see who activates what.

Every time you win with 'Good Races' (as we will define here) while holding the belt, 'Face' gets a point. Every time you win with 'Evil Races' while holding the belt, 'Heel' gets a point. Total will be tallied at the end of the month and you can plan accordingly if that aspect appeals to you.

Face Race:

Humans, Norse, Amazons, Slann, Lizardmen
High Elves, Pro Elves, Wood Elves
Khemri, Dwarves
Halfling, Ogres

Heel Race:
Vampires, Underworld, Necromantic, Undead
Skaven, Dark Elves
Chaos, Nurgle, Chaos Dwarves, Chaos Pact, Orcs
Goblins

Edit:

I know, I know, Khemri a 'Face'? I'm trying to provide some balance here.

Last edited by mrt1212 on %b %12, %2015 - %23:%May; edited 3 times in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
Activation oncoming at 21:30.
Edit: Activated.

I'll be in on the next one. Grabbing some lunch.
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

21.30 failed. Come back at 21.45. That will be the last activation on my side today.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Game on against Endzone.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone snatches the belt in a hamfisted and gratuitous manner!

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?op=view&id=3682843
Rabe

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Khemri seem alright as Face, they are not really "evil" fluff-wise, IIRC. Ogres seem to be on the wrong side though, as well as Norse, since most of them are chaos barbarians really (with only very few exceptions).

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
Khemri seem alright as Face, they are not really "evil" fluff-wise, IIRC. Ogres seem to be on the wrong side though, as well as Norse, since most of them are chaos barbarians really (with only very few exceptions).

But the wittle snots are so darling and any team that can trot out Bertha can't be all that bad. Norse on the other hand...maybe I'll put them on the Heel side. I still remember that master of cold death, DukeTyrion completely freezing my face off 4-0 with a ton of CAS in one of my first games on the site.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 13, 2015 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm thinking about changing the way that I select the belt starter each month. I do not really think the turnover of CR is big enough at the highest levels to make this as interesting as it could be.

How about going to Sprints to determine it? Sprints run in 2 month couplets but I want to stay on a monthly schedule. I'll take the previous couplet's Overall Sprint winner and the HLP Sprint winner (Or a D24 determined Race Sprint.)

In the case of Feb/March the winners were PacoSillas Overall and Happygrue in HPL and Bujke on a D24 that rolled 15 which is Norse where O=15th letter of English Alphabet. So in April, PacoSillas would start with the belt and in May either Happygrue or Bujke would start with the belt. This also helps towards ensuring that the belt starter will vary a bit month to month and activity is rewarded.

Since we've already got the ball rolling now we'll see how it goes but think about the alternate method. We have all a little under 3 weeks so no rush.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 13, 2015 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
I'm thinking about changing the way that I select the belt starter each month. I do not really think the turnover of CR is big enough at the highest levels to make this as interesting as it could be.

How about going to Sprints to determine it? Sprints run in 2 month couplets but I want to stay on a monthly schedule. I'll take the previous couplet's Overall Sprint winner and the HLP Sprint winner (Or a D24 determined Race Sprint.)

In the case of Feb/March the winners were PacoSillas Overall and Happygrue in HPL and Bujke on a D24 that rolled 15 which is Norse where O=15th letter of English Alphabet. So in April, PacoSillas would start with the belt and in May either Happygrue or Bujke would start with the belt. This also helps towards ensuring that the belt starter will vary a bit month to month and activity is rewarded.

Since we've already got the ball rolling now we'll see how it goes but think about the alternate method. We have all a little under 3 weeks so no rush.

I don't like selecting a Champion. I'd say that let the Champ hold the belt into the next month.

If the Champ does not defend the title within n days strip him of the belt.

Award the belt to the winner of the next match that features two legends.

That can be done automatically so no need for manual intervention.

If someone wins the belt at the end of the month it would be harsh to just take it away from them without them even getting a chance to defend it.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2015 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Automation is nifty, and the engine that drives a successful meta group that wants to stick around for any length of time.

Join the Human League Premiership!
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 13, 2015 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

This idea has mostly been about the journey of the belt from person to person and the intrigue of tracking it.

One aspect of monthly belts that is very intriguing is the possibility of unifying belts.

Scenario:

Endzone holds the belt for the rest of the month. bigGuy wins the Apr/May sprint and thusly holds the June belt. Let's say I beat Endzone (it could happen!) on June 2nd. Ho ho, now I have a fine belt. June 3rd I draw a game against bigGuy and win (and kill off his infernally destructive Blitz-Ras once and for all). Now I have 'unified' the belts and only have to track one, plus that match would have more meaning if both coaches cared about it.

But it'd be kind of boring (to me at least) if someone unified the belts and that was that. The introduction of fresh blood (and not just top coach blood, no matter how much BB skill it might imbue you with) into the competition is essential in my estimation. It'd be kinda boring if a cadre of great coaches like Endzone (or whoever, the belt that hoists pants hangs heavy) were the only ones swapping the belt amongst each other.

So we could go a few ways on this:

Option A (1 Perpetual Belt)
Option B (1-2 Belts)
Option C (N+1 Belts)

Option A is as you describe Koadah.

Option B would have a few ways to do it.

B1:
We could have the CR Belt and the Sprint Belt.
CR Belt is perpetual and given to highest CR in Box if current coach retires.
Sprint Belt is renewed monthly/when unified with CR Belt/when a coach retires.

B2:
We could have monthly belts where each month is almost completely self contained but...only the current belt holder can unify past monthly belts. So even if you beat Endzone (assuming he holds the May belt till June) in June, you wouldn't take his belt unless you had the June belt on your person at the time of playing him. This reduces the amount of intrigue I track.

Option C

C1: As many belts as there are months in the future and you can unify or lose them any time. Would be harder to keep track of.

C2: As many belts as there are months in the future and you can only unify or lose them outside of the respective month if you're heads up against another belt holder.

I'm leaning towards either B option not only because I want to protect my sanity but also because I am interested in the road the belt takes from person to person. and I think spreading a belt around activation circles would be more fun. It'd be a letdown if only European coaches were really participating because of what time they activate. With an additional belt the work isn't increased too terribly, especially with the stipulations of a sunset on a belt being up for grabs, month by month.

Overall, this project is never really ever going to be about finding a 'pecking order' so to speak, it's going to be about following the journey of the belt and carving out personal achievements from it. I want to make this game as self contained and self referential to current apparatus in place as possible.

Dunenzed, yes, automation keeps the ball rolling but it takes some good old fashioned human gumption to get it started.
Endzone

Post   Posted: May 15, 2015 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The Blackbox Belt will be defended at 22:00 server time.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 15, 2015 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Woohoo! I'll be in a meeting for an hour so I'll probably catch from Turn 6 of the 1st half and beyond Wink
Endzone

Post   Posted: May 15, 2015 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

lol, you know me too well.
 Jump to: