51 coaches online • Server time: 17:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Faulcon

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I would think the main reason teams can't come back into conference after a break (or more than a single season) is racial balancing. You don't get to tie up a spot for that long without playing the team and if that race is already full, well tough luck.*

* I am not an admin, this is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect official SWL policy
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 08:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy wrote:

I've never been under the impression that playing non-competitively was acceptable anywhere on the site let alone in this league (give or take the fact that obvoiusly there's a lot of grey area). If they added a clause about it after a certain game it sounds more like a clarification than a change to me.

coombz wrote:

However I'm still 99% certain that when I joined up in 2012 I was told that they all had to be 'real' games, even if they were against soft teams

Absolutely correct.

Lets say this: when it was added to the guide as a specific 'rule', it was to clarify an existing ruling that had never needed to be actually written down prior to that point.

Semitence wrote:
What the Fun Police did wasn't against the rules. It was all put into place retrospectively

Not quite. As I mentioned above, this was not a retrospective rule, but one that had to be explicitly written down after the fact, in much the same way that there are labels on hairdryers stating "do not use in shower".

Semitence wrote:

Whilst I'm making hay, could we please have some admin clarifcation on the reasons behind teams not being able to come back into the conferences after taking a break.

I don't know what this is about.

The only reason a parked team can't come back would be because they parked aeons ago, or because the coach has done something to warrant the call by the admins to force a redraft as opposed to an unpark.

Oh, a team may also not be able to unpark to conferences if they parked in reggies...

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

So a hypothetical question...

Bearing in mind that I would have done the same thing if I was playing Slann... Would the problem still be there if instead of Chaos Warriors, it were Slann Blitzers (with block, mighty blow & piling on)?

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Storm in a molehill all this.

Let's summarise the ToB issues & some of the arguments:

1. Too many games in ToB
- possibly an advantage to some drafters?
- skews the reggies?
- more advantageous to some races than others?
- devalues the Bloody Cauldron if it's only contestable for those with enough spare time?

2. Trying to lose, to avoid FF
- Against the spirit of SWL?
- perfectly fine, because the ToB is only for preparing a team anyway.

3. 'farming' SPP by the opponent not playing competitively.
- perfectly fine, because the ToB is only for preparing a team anyway.

4. Cherry picking opponents.
- perfectly fine? because the ToB is only for preparing a team anyway.
- not practical to make rules that stop it
- doesn't matter if the games are competitive anyway?

5. Conceding games
- perfectly fine, because the ToB is only for preparing a team anyway?

Does that sum it all up?

Bio template here.
Relezite

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

After reading all the points and counterpoints I find myself with only two opinions.

Minmaxing is a waste of the coach's own time.

Conceding is a chump move and should not be weilded 'strategically.'
Tomay

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Much ado about nothing really. All we're doing is making a bad first impression for all the new guys as this doesn't really reflect the usual spirit of the league.

It will all balance out in the wash. Those who have to face a few CLAWPOMBERS will be tougher for it in the long run and coaching ability will still determine who wins Premierships. Bring on reggies, they're going to be great this season! Rest assured the admin team have been discussing these issues since before they were raised in the forum and will make adjustments if necessary before the next ToB after lengthy debate.

Grod is parking next season and not backing up his title... I just hope he returns so he can represent us in the URN.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Chavo wrote:
So a hypothetical question...

Bearing in mind that I would have done the same thing if I was playing Slann... Would the problem still be there if instead of Chaos Warriors, it were Slann Blitzers (with block, mighty blow & piling on)?

I think that Irgy's feelings about the optimal approach only being available to a privileged few (in terms of availability to play a lot of games) would still hold water.

I don't think that there would be quite so much naked fear about facing your team in the reggies if they were green long legged dudes though Smile

You'd probably still have gotten some flak for conceding too ;---)

That's Trailer Park Life.
BeefyGoodness

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, this isn't a good look for the league. If people keep making a huge fuss, starting back at 0 games teams is still a valid option. It just means teams would be highly unlikely of being competitive if they make the rookie, conference, prem jumps in a row.

Go the Count!
RedMaul

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

As somebody who has a very tight window of availability to play games each week, I'll go on the record as saying if you can play 14 games for the TOB then that's great and good for you. Who gives a unicorn? Not me.

Without good coaching that same player is still going to get crunched in Confs or Prem, so why do you really care? How about you dig all that sand out of your underpants and worry less about what others are doing and why it's so unfair on you. Because it isn't. Not really.

As long as all the games were competitive and in the spirit of the SWL in general then.. *shrugs*

As for the parking thing. I've been bitten by that and have no comment re obvious admin bias. That Danielcollins is a massive crybaby.
Fortis

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I agree, this isn't a good look for the league. If people keep making a huge fuss, starting back at 0 games teams is still a valid option. It just means teams would be highly unlikely of being competitive if they make the rookie, conference, prem jumps in a row.

So if the new blood want to discuss something that there is a perception that has gone wrong then threatening to change the rules to ensure they aren't able to compete will help solve that?

I think it's a far worse look and even worse for the retention of rookies to allow teams to cpomb their way around the rookie division.

Guess we'd all better shut up or the big bad admins will make sure we can't compete for their precious cup.
coombz

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

plz no clawpomb debate Sad

abandon thread \o/

That's Trailer Park Life.
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd just like to point out that if the big bad admin team was concerned by this sort of chatter, they would have locked it down about... 18 pages ago?

I think the sentiment was more - there's a fair bit of the whinge going on, lets keep it constructive. I can certainly say that every one of the admin team has been following this conversation, and it has added to the conversation we are ourselves having about the ToB.

As I mentioned about 4 or 5 (?) pages ago, we are DEFINITELY reviewing the ToB.

So, keep chatting. Just try to aim for constructive and thought out responses, not knee-jerk bitching because you thought he said she said something blah blah.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

We should do some sort of ANZAC thing leading up to the day with all these Kiwis on board now.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Fortis,

I'm not threatening anything, or trying to move anyone's cheese.

By all means criticise as it validates what is there or motivates change.

I'm a long time sufferer in the league playing wood elves and frogs of bash teams. FYI I'm quite new to the cheese dwarfs as a break from this.

Go the Count!
Karnov

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay wrote:
We should do some sort of ANZAC thing leading up to the day with all these Kiwis on board now.

I can't help but think all of the above commotion is a Kiwi-hatched plot to destabilise the SWL...Aussie coaches unite against the common enemy \0/
 Jump to: