19 coaches online • Server time: 07:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wraith

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
Maybe you should view the replay again and open your eyes this time? Every single thing you 'observed' is plain wrong, I 3d blitzed one of the (2!) goblins whenever possible, downed them quite a few times as well, but they simply didn't want to leave the field.

But that's beside the point, this is not about a single match decided by sheer luck.

Every single time I met Ogres in the box it was no fun at all, because as CL so eloquently explained, playing Ogres is not about skill. The single deciding factor in an Ogre match is the Ogre player's luck - everything else pales in comparison.

And the last paragraph of runreallyfast's post sums up nicely why I have a problem with ANYONE being forced to play them due to being beat up already.

I also watched the replay. Is it your contention that you played smart or skillfully in that game?

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:
i got 2 nice bottles of south african grand classique 2005 merlot from a business partner tonight for christmas Smile
i might not be able to resist opening them just now, only thing that keeps me from doing that is the wine-
scandal that's been on the media a few weeks ago which concerned wineyards from australia as well as south africa Confused

wine>whine Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

just read up on that wine-issue - here it says, that last incident was only sauvignon blanc while mine is a sauvignon / merlot rouge.
on the bottle it also reads "the handcrafted wines of David Finlayson. Two years maturation in new and second-fill French oak barriques followed by minimal fining and filtration has produced a great wine with excellent potential for maturation" - i can only confirm that after opening the first bottle, though i'm positive, that it'll be even better after it's been opened for a day Very Happy

EDIT: since it's a 2005 filling +2 years in those barriques gave it a little over another 2 years for maturation, now - that should be just right, don't you think?
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
[...] Since the race is only played by sociopath coaches [...]

Incidentally, I have to thank you, as I was looking for a decent ogre team name (which you here provided) for quite some time. Smile
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Pantaloon Pantaloon Pantaloon. Tin Tin Pantaloon.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
Fela

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Wraith wrote:
Fela wrote:
Maybe you should view the replay again and open your eyes this time? Every single thing you 'observed' is plain wrong, I 3d blitzed one of the (2!) goblins whenever possible, downed them quite a few times as well, but they simply didn't want to leave the field.

But that's beside the point, this is not about a single match decided by sheer luck.

Every single time I met Ogres in the box it was no fun at all, because as CL so eloquently explained, playing Ogres is not about skill. The single deciding factor in an Ogre match is the Ogre player's luck - everything else pales in comparison.

And the last paragraph of runreallyfast's post sums up nicely why I have a problem with ANYONE being forced to play them due to being beat up already.

I also watched the replay. Is it your contention that you played smart or skillfully in that game?

I'd say i played ok up to the point where i had 'my dice' again and lost hope. My habit of forgetting the existance of DT from one turn to the next probably didn't help much either.

However, my point was that i did not ignore the goblins, nor fielded 12 players. Somehow i can't see being allowed to set up 10 when 2 are still in the dugout.

Last edited by Fela on %b %24, %2009 - %00:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Fela

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
Fela wrote:
[...] Since the race is only played by sociopath coaches [...]

Incidentally, I have to thank you, as I was looking for a decent ogre team name (which you here provided) for quite some time. Smile

My pleasure Wink
Wraith

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
I'd say i played ok up to the point where i had 'my dice' again and lost hope. My habit of forgetting the existance of DT from one turn to the next probably didn't help much either.

However, my point was that i did not ignore the goblins, nor fielded 12 players. Somehow i can't see being allowed to set up 10 when 2 are still in the dugout.

Well, I just find it hypocritical that you're going to comment on the skill level needed to successfully play an ogre team, when in the game you're complaining about was not lost solely due to luck... there were plenty of tactical mistakes that you made in that game, which ultimately led to the loss... it wasn't because your opponent rolled all pows and broke AV at a ridiculous rate or because he made 2dbs against and then picked up the ball in 3 TZs and made a long bomb pass to win the game.

I keep hearing how ogres rely only on luck and not skill... but no one has given examples of it that is specific to only ogres. Most games are decided by which coach is luckier... this is a strategy game that's main ingredient is pretty much, total randomness, after all.

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... I play Ogres and Wood Elves in the box... so I guess I'm a bit of a sociopath too (except I apparently like seeing both my own players AND those of the opponent die - just at different games). Wink

And so far I have only three Ogre games, so I can't really claim to be an expert on anything Ogrish, but those three games have been hard-fought affairs - and also close calls when it comes to the TDs.

But I think the comment about "watching them grow" was a good one. Sure, 'flings, gobbos and Vampires can play ball and get smashed up just as well, but these ST5, AV9 brutes are probably going to survive a lot of matches... and since the Box favours AV9 teams, I'd think that was the major reason that there are more of them around than the other three. After all, it's fun watching your players get injured and killed... but it's also nice to see some live long and prosper (while incidentally getting to hear the crunch of bones once in a while too) Wink

Claus
Who may be hypocritical too because he also plays Wood Elves, but isn't quite sure Wink
Plorg

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Sionis wrote:
Last I heard, the "no longer present for a year" sociopath(s) played Khemri.

<yawn blink blink>
Oh hey what's up guys. I was having this excellent dream but something just woke me up...
fly

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

it's fun to see how this is boiling down to skill measuring. i think in the end we have to cope with ogres accidentally retiring teams, as other races do too.

Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I repeat:

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
treborius

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
I repeat:

hmmmmm, that must be somethin about tin-pants...
...though i'm still not sure it's english

btw, i woke up without any headache this morning, despite drinking half the bottle last night, which is a pretty good sign, that there are no additives in that one - no tin either Cool
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
I repeat:

Repeat it! Repeat! Re!

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2009 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm.. lets bring the ogre idea to its extreme, by making a modified space marine roster:

0-16 Terminators 5 7 2 10 AS Really Stupid, Thick Skull, Claw, MB 180k
0-8 Scouting Drones 7 1 3 7 A Bonehead (so they can`t assist other players rolls), dodge, stunty 20k
RR: 100k
Apo: Yes
Wiz: Normal
 Jump to: