50 coaches online • Server time: 13:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should Stunty Big Guys have General Access
Yes - It is the basis of current stunty, I like it, I like Big guys being killing machines.
35%
 35%  [ 23 ]
No - Stunty would be more fun and tactical without BG Gen access, remove it or start an alternative league.
64%
 64%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 65

DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

There is a thread open to discuss General access on Big Guys.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4483

Since some are not happy with the poll options, albeit it was only created to open up a discussion, I have created a new poll with only 2 options.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I played in an U league without G acces and therefore keep it!!!
hunter

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Your options are slanted. I'm going to vote "Yes" because "I like Big Guys being killing machines" (that is, I like to develop my Big Guys, and the best way to do so is via casualties), but I do not agree that they are the "basis of current stunty" (I like all of my players to develop). A better way to make such a poll is to have very simple choices: Yes, No, Maybe, I Don't Care. That way, you can eliminate problems like I just stated, similar to your previous poll in which the results were confusing and subject to misconstrual.

It doesn't matter, though: too many people like it as it is, and too many others do not. There will never be enough of a consensus either way to warrant such a change. My opinion is that the best solution (if one is needed) is to have more team options available, such that there would be more of a continuum of "bashiness" amongst the teams.

~hunter

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, my initial thread was to try and open up the debate after initial selling of dust from the LRB change in Ranked.

The options there were just off the top of my head, but as I kind of expected suggested there was no one prevelant line of thought.

As the poll options were contested a little, I made the 2 option post, worded as is, rightly or wrongly, I do not think the wording will change anyones vote. If I had just put Yes / No, no doubt someone would have suggested I should expand on the options.

I think you are right though, many like it, many do not, but is there not an option to suit both camps, perhaps with a second stunty league with non BG Access running alongside the main one, or perhaps, as I think you might be suggesting, have some teams within Stunty where the Big Guys do not have General access, they can then choose to only play other non-BG Gen teams, such as perhaps Skinks, or from time to time play against the current mainstream Stunty teams.

These threads were intended to open up fair debate, and if that has happened then they have achieved their goal.
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The apathy vote is abstention.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a Yes or No matter. If you don't care you don't need to vote Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2005 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
have some teams within Stunty where the Big Guys do not have General access, they can then choose to only play other non-BG Gen teams

If theres about half who dont like gen access on BGs, howcome no one havent just decided not to take general skills on their BGs and looking for game vs similiar coaches/teams. Its easy to state that fact on #fumbblstunty and maybe add some little "say no to gen" -logo to team page.
This way everybody gets what they wants and one coach can play even with teams with general access and some without. Only problem there might be doubles rolled, but aint that kinda lame to take general to non-general team even with doubles as its that powerfull?
pbateman

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2005 - 08:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been playing BB for two years IRL and 3 months on Fumbbl and I have to day the way that people play here(in comparison to real life) is sometimes appaulingly dull. Block-cas, block-cas, block-cas, all day long and even the weekest elves put the boot in! It's SO BLOODY BORING!! And doesn't require any thought or tactics, just more MB,B,T,RSC etc. than the opponent. Or if you'r a really bad coach you could always hide behind 4 mummies and go Khemri. I tried to escape all of this by playing stunty leeg but there it's even worse! Gen access to big guys! In Stunty! What were they thinking! Stunty had so much appeal as a fun league that sought to return to the madcap unpredictable roots of BB that we veterans miss. Instead it's just more of the same: block-cas, block-cas all day long. I dont understand the mentality of coaches who think that is entertaining. Wouldn't they enjoy a nice wargame instead? Moreover it's spoiling it for those of us who specificaly play BB because it's not a wargame and you can try to play ball a bit. I would give my support to a non-BGgenaccess league and would like to help set it up if needs be. As for the idea that we sportsmen could co-exist in a killing league whilst neutering our big guys, well I just hope you were kidding.
peikko

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2005 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

pbateman wrote:
As for the idea that we sportsmen could co-exist in a killing league whilst neutering our big guys, well I just hope you were kidding.

How can you sportsmen exist in ranked where there is players who foul or play to maim? What is it away from you when you can decide who to play and who not to?
pbateman

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2005 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
How can you sportsmen exist in ranked where there is players who foul or play to maim?

Because we have to if we ever want to play a game!
Quote:
What is it away from you when you can decide who to play and who not to?

Sorry mate I don't like to critisise people's English but in this instance I simply don't know what you mean.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2005 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

peikko wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:
have some teams within Stunty where the Big Guys do not have General access, they can then choose to only play other non-BG Gen teams

If theres about half who dont like gen access on BGs, howcome no one havent just decided not to take general skills on their BGs and looking for game vs similiar coaches/teams. Its easy to state that fact on #fumbblstunty and maybe add some little "say no to gen" -logo to team page.
This way everybody gets what they wants and one coach can play even with teams with general access and some without. Only problem there might be doubles rolled, but aint that kinda lame to take general to non-general team even with doubles as its that powerfull?

It might be an option, I may even start a non-BG Gen Stunty tournament, and see what the interest is like.

As for General access on Doubles, There is a difference between having 3 Trolls all with Block, Tackle etc ... and 1 Troll with Block, and 2 others without General skills.

I have been playing a Goblin Team in ranked more recently (as I do not agree with the Stunty rules as are), and or my 2 Trolls, if given doubles on both I would probably give the main line Troll Block (as with a double he earn't it), and the Agility one a Throwing skill.
paradocks

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2005 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree wholeheartedly with pbateman's comments and the very thought of a stunty leeg without the BG killing machines really excites me. If this step was to be taken I think it would do a great job of neutralizing the negative anti-social coaches that have come to stunty attracted by the possibilities of building up the most bashy nurg/snot/whatever team they can and getting loads of cheap unfair wins against teams that clearly are underpowered and most likely unable to survive the onslaught of 16 turns of every single block/foul the anti-social coach can manage.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2005 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with pbateman's comments and the very thought of a stunty leeg without the BG killing machines really excites me. If this step was to be taken I think it would do a great job of neutralizing the negative anti-social coaches that have come to stunty attracted by the possibilities of building up the most bashy nurg/snot/whatever team they can and getting loads of cheap unfair wins against teams that clearly are underpowered and most likely unable to survive the onslaught of 16 turns of every single block/foul the anti-social coach can manage.

A group has now been setup within Stunty here;

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=2237

The set-up, upkeep and aims (if any, apart from just game) can be discussed here;

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4504
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2005 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

While I'm one who believes no gen access for big guys would make stunty div more appealing, I think one important issue hasn't been discussed.

How to smoothly convert divS into a non gen BG division.

Grandfathering all those uber-BGs would give one hec of an advantage over newer teams. therefore it's probably best to keep it as it is.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2005 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

i like stunty as it is....

plus if it does get changed to no gen access on big guys....the issue of balancing will come into play for many of the teams again

ie

gnomes who have been improved and are now over powered....would be even stronger owing to the daredevils gen access

this is just one example of a host of unforseen balancing issues that would arise, not to mention the grandfathering issues.
 Jump to: