23 coaches online • Server time: 08:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I recall that from the start of Dogma, (a fine film to watch for those who take the faith issue too much to heart) about judgement being reserved for god alone, "and that goes for you film critics too..."
I figure people have a lot of preconceptions about what they will find in 'The Book' (TM) and dont read it with a view to learning, but affirming whatever life views they already had, its supposed to be a guide and an explanation, not a piece of evidentiary support, hence my problem with "i can do this/this will happen, because the bible says so"
Hell, folks could do with having their beliefs challenged once in a while, help em figure out what they think.

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood" To quote my favourite Saint! (anyone who strips naked in front of the Bishop to prove a point is cool in my book!)

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

altus_bellator wrote:

At this point the receptionist gets this horrified and then sad look on her face.

Receptionist: So Evil Incarnate (She actually said my mother in-laws name) is your in-law.

At this point she actually gets up comes out of her glassed in office, hugs me and apologies.

So yeah...if you could send some of the patience this way I'd be very greatful.

I figure it's pretty cool if your inlaws get you some ass on the side (even if it's indirectly). Cool
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Torsoboy, that's horrible! (also made me laugh out loud, but that's beside the point) Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe christ your really in for it Sad not much to do about it though
warknight

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I live in Texas. I have grown up surrounded by religious fundamentalists so I have little patience or tolerance for them. Which brings me to an interesting conundrum. Their impatience and intolerance has made me impatient and intolerant (of them). Oy. Talk about a vicious cycle. Anyway, trying to talk to them in a civil manner is a waste. Although they are gone and you are free again, next time you need to lay down the law. This is my house, if you don't like it, there's a nice hotel for you somewhere. And BigMac, just for the record, please don't confuse the government with the people. There are many Americans that are trying their hardest to get rid of this attitude our government has. I personally would like to see Bush and company brought up on war crime trials and put away. There's too much of a "We can do it, but other countries can't" thing going on over here that makes me sick. We can't hold other countries to one set of rules and ourselves up to another. If we expect to criticize another country for something we can't then show ourselves to be just as bad or worse, simply because our government believes it is the "good guys". I want America to be seen as a nation that can have common values with other countries. I am doing what I can to make sure this country will turn away from the direction it is going.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, my cousin is a Sheriff in Texas! You know him? He's in some region near San Antonio.

(thanks for the encouragement on the wishes of your people, btw)

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the utmost respect for you, PurpleChest. Anyone that can put up with that over 10 days is a stronger person than I. I got riled just reading your post. As I always tend to look on the better side of things, at least it costs them a good amount to come visit. You could always ask if God was good enough to pay for their airfare. If they say no, then you could say something like 'Well why do you give him money every week if he's not gonna chip in five bucks to help pay for airfare?'.

Hrm. Yeah. Pass the bowl. That wasn't very funny.
BigMac

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

warknight wrote:
I live in Texas. I have grown up surrounded by religious fundamentalists so I have little patience or tolerance for them. Which brings me to an interesting conundrum. Their impatience and intolerance has made me impatient and intolerant (of them). Oy. Talk about a vicious cycle. Anyway, trying to talk to them in a civil manner is a waste. Although they are gone and you are free again, next time you need to lay down the law. This is my house, if you don't like it, there's a nice hotel for you somewhere. And BigMac, just for the record, please don't confuse the government with the people. There are many Americans that are trying their hardest to get rid of this attitude our government has. I personally would like to see Bush and company brought up on war crime trials and put away. There's too much of a "We can do it, but other countries can't" thing going on over here that makes me sick. We can't hold other countries to one set of rules and ourselves up to another. If we expect to criticize another country for something we can't then show ourselves to be just as bad or worse, simply because our government believes it is the "good guys". I want America to be seen as a nation that can have common values with other countries. I am doing what I can to make sure this country will turn away from the direction it is going.

Seriously glad to hear that mate; This religion thingy comes through when Bush is televised a lot. Pretty irritating.

I just felt like articulating my disbelief of whats going on these days. Wahtching the telly tonight just makes you wonder WTF? Can you imagine germany kidnapping and torturing an amreican citizen for terror prevention without informing the US authorities? WTF! right?
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, i'm gonna avoid the religious discussion for personal reasons, but i would like to point out a few things...

Psychological research was conducted to evaluate the power dynamics in a family. One of the tests included having a camera recording who was sitting in front of the TV, and who had the TV control. Basically they watched you as you watched TV. They found that in the family, the Father normally had the TV control, when he wasn't around the eldest child, then the 2nd child and so on (descending order) and last the Mother.

However, occassionally there were children with extremely strong personalities, who ended up dominating the the TV control and other power struggles in the house. The most frequent form of 'lording it over' was by channel hopping.

As a result, i would say that you father-in-law felt threatened in your house, because in HIS house, he has absolute control, however in your house you don't get involved with what your father-in-law thinks, and he can't dominate you. Therefore he started employing every tactic possible to dominate in your household, and he did so intentionally. Sitting at the computer was done because he knows u like playing on the computer. he most probably asked around to get your computer infected (lucky he didn't "accidentally" format your C: drive). When this tactic didn't pay off (because without the computer u most probably sat in front of the TV) he moved on to dominating the TV, the radio in the car etc.

now, though this may sound strange, i would say that every little bit he does to aggravate you is done intentionally, and by not losing your kewl and tolerating him, you are doing the 1 thing that pisses him off. you are ignoring him. so... its a battle of wills, he tries to piss you off, you don't take the bait, and he gets pissed off.

Now, if you can combine this with an element of "innocent" teasing, he will explode and go ballistic, while you keep your kewl and laugh... and after that you have won...

but in-laws often have the problem that they see their 'precious child' still as a precious child, and not as a mature adult. they are in denial, and try in every way to bring back the 'good old days when u were a well behaved child'... you get where i'm going, and don't forget that your wife is with you because she believes that you are the 1 person in the world who is strong enough to deal with her in-laws... don't forget she grew up with them...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
ruoste

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
.... BigMac is back ..... Please return to referring to me by my full name to avoid confusion.

SpamMac?
blizzt95

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well said, LordSnotball.
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers Smile

The best way to wind up a 'TV Control' freak is to remove the batteries in the morning b4 they get up, and force them to do it manually. Burns their dominating desires after 10 mins!

*cackle*

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Jackbedead

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
I know what your going through, I shared a flat with a guy with asperger syndrome (yes it kept the rent low) but my year in that flat was as miserable as ive ever spent.

What's that mean, I have Asperger syndrome. And yeah, so sometimes I hurt people's feelings, but that doesn't make me a mean person does it?
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

round myold student house to preserve TV remote 'control' we'd even go so far as to take the remote to teh bathroom with us, so as to prevent some sneaky usurper from stealing the tv Smile remote is power!

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
 Jump to: