23 coaches online • Server time: 07:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PeteW

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Amen to what Macavity and MrMojo said!

Jesus lived a life to show us how we should live (spending time with taxcollectors, prostitutes, sinners, and probably AIDS victims and muslims if he'd had the chance!!!) and he did this to show us that we couldn't live as perfectly as he did. The good news of the gospels is that Jesus then died for sinners (all of us) by bearing God's righteous anger at our bad stuff on the cross. Phew!

Sincere repentence and belief in Jesus are all that are needed to be joined with him (spiritually) to die to this life and be joined with him in his resurrection to be born into the new Christian life. Then we Christians slowly grow to be more like Jesus (still very imperfect - I get cross when my players fall over?! How dumb am I?) whilst waiting for him to return to make everything perfect.

From the sounds of things, your inlaws may well be blinded to these truths and not living with Jesus as Lord or Saviour. Poor people. They sound a bit like the biblical pharisees.

Don't be put off Jesus by them, Purple!!

Take care one and all!
PeteW
Jackbedead

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I grew up in Texas for 10 years. Now I live in Utah while I attend school. You want to know how insane "conservatives" can be? I've seen it all folks. Baptists and Mormons. I don't hate them, I just wish I would sit and think for a second.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Jackbedead wrote:
brownrob wrote:
I know what your going through, I shared a flat with a guy with asperger syndrome (yes it kept the rent low) but my year in that flat was as miserable as ive ever spent.

What's that mean, I have Asperger syndrome. And yeah, so sometimes I hurt people's feelings, but that doesn't make me a mean person does it?

heya jack,

it wasnt his problem, it was my problem. I didnt know how to communicate with someone with aspergers. I hadnt met him until the week he moved in!

He wasnt a bad chap, but he latched on to me and Im the kind of person who isnt decisive and wont tell people what I feel incase it hurts them, so the situation escalated and i was in effect, bullied!

But things he would do to me

Wake me up at 3 in the morning and tell me about different stamps
    Wake me up at 3 in the morning and tell me anout different cameras used in LOTR
    One time the phone was in use and my GF was talking to me via MSN, he would regularly sneak into my room and watch me hae a conversation on MSN. This I normally wouldnt mind but my GF was going trough a rough patch and he spoke and made a really derogarory coment about her (I didnt know he was there)
    His alarm went off from 6am-10pm every day (I never knew they lasted that long, obviosly they do)
    He used to go through my stuff without asking when i was out, i would come back and find my room a "bigger" mess
    He was rude to my friends! He could be really condesending
    One time one of my other flatmates got some folk round for dinner. We played an after dinner game with 4 prople one side of the table, 4 on the other. one side had to pass a 10p piece under the table and the other side had to guess who had the coin, and could get us to do 3 actions: 1) everyone slaps their hands down on he table, 2) put fists on table and slowly open hands 3)put put your fingers on the table and hold the coin high up in the air with your palm (a bit like those walkers in halflife 2). But anyway... we were playing this game, and we were trying to guess who had the coin (my flatmate) but the other guy game into the room and found out the game and said he would find out who it was.... so..... he pulled out his lighter and lit it under my flatmates hand. I cant believe there wasnt violence!
    Oh, and he was the loudest eater i have ever heard! (that bugs me with anyone! Laughing ) Just hate it when people eat with open mouths!

Most of that was unlikely to be aspergers, but im sorry if i came across wrong, I have a bad habit about that Rolling Eyes its just i was responding to PC, and no offence was intended, and i hope none was taken Embarassed

I just found it hard to tell him what I meant, he couldnt understand I wanted to sleep (not his fault)

Rob
Tinkywinky

Post 6 Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:

From the sounds of things, your inlaws may well be blinded to these truths and not living with Jesus as Lord or Saviour. Poor people. They sound a bit like the biblical pharisees.

Isn't it ironic...don't you think? Wink
ChangoLoco

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, this is a longish post already but I feel compelled to add my two cents worth. I, like God, am an American (quoting Bowie there, not meant literally.)
Your problem with your inlaws is not that they are American, nor is it that they are Christian fundamentalists. It's not even that they are morons, although that seems to be the case.

First - me. I live in Iowa, heartland of America. I am not Christian and I am not Republican. Please realise that Mr. Bush won his landslide election with just over 50% of the popular vote. Also please consider that only around 40% of registered voters actually turned up at the polls. That means that well over half of the people that took the time to register to vote didn't care for either of our choices. The majority of American citizens took a look at the political landscape and decided, f**k it, what's on TV? Most of us just don't care enough to do anything.

Your inlaws. I am married, I understand a bit. At least you don't get the issue of them popping in whenever they want. Day one of my honeymoon found my mother-in-law waking us up. This established a trend of never knowing when family may stop by. (This does put a kink in my ability to get high and play video games, by the way.) The best thing you've got going for you is that you don't have to deal with them often. Next time you do, I recommend finding something you can agree on and focusing on this. There has to be something. Hunting, cheesemaking, hiking, whatever it is, find it. And don't pay any attention to the rest of that drek. As I assume you love your wife, it's worth it.

On an international note: Someday we, as Americans, will stop presenting ourselves as puritanical self righteous bigoted morons who own the world and can play sherriff to everyone. Until that day arrives, please realise that the reason we do this is that most of us are heavily medicated and folks like your father-in-law are the only ones sober enough to handle any of the real work. Well, that and marketing executives, but I'm fairly certain they're not really human anyway.
Jackbedead

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Asperger's is just a disorder that gives you no sense of empathy. But your flatmate sounds like he's just a jerk. Just because you have trouble understanding how other people feel doesn't mean you don't understand what's just a mean or stupid thing to do.

It's kind of like this. That wouldn't upset me, so why would it upset you. I have to check that in my mind and rethink it every day. Just so I don't hurt feelings or offend anyone. But I think those things would have upset him too, so he really just sounds like a crappy guy. It's not a terrible permanent disorder, you just have to train your brain in a way that's far different from the way other people learned how to be sociable and fit in. As weird as that sounds.
tza

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

didn't but read the inital post - just had a question for you - Why the fuck don't you lay down the law or kick them out?
Brad

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

This post has seemed to slam everything - from America, Politics, Christianity; and then thrown around words such as 'intollerance', 'forcing of views', 'accepting different beliefs'.

Does anyone else see the hypocracy in this?

If 'Purple' had slammed some Asian, Muslim, Extremists - he would have been branded a xenophobe, intollerant, non-accepting person, not allowing for other's world views. Why is it seen as intollerant to slam anyone except Christians, or except Americans (I'm Australian BTW). And why do people continue to cite the worst people as examples of what they don't want to be - instead of looking for those who have changed the world for the better and trying to emulate that.

(Yes I am a Christian - and believe my worldview is entirely defensible - but that view is based upon research and history - not on my opinion of others and certainly not because its more popular or easier to live believing)

Brad

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Mocking minoritys is seen as wrong and unfair, mocking a nation that by its every action cries out for mocking seems justified. Similarly denouncing evolution and pushing for the portrayal of literal creation(ism?) theory as fact also begs to be the subject of a jape or two, granted theyre probably viscious slanderous and overstated stereotypes, but thats never stopped anyone before, and certainly doesnt make it any less funny.(to me anyhow)
Maybe im just an arse(just maybe) but I enjoy a good joke at other peoples expense now and then, and as long as i dont feel they are undeserving, or are recieving more than their fair share, I wont jump on my soap box about it.

ps. Isnt it somewhat legally necessary to have all the above in a modern day forum conversation spanning a page or more?
Mock America - Check
Mock Fumdamentalist Christianity - Check
Mock Bush himself - (i think weve had a) Check
Depend on Massive hypocrisy to underpin the main argument of said thread... - Damn, Check too...
Thats pretty much this thread covered.

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Purple didn't slam Christians, or Americans, or anyone other than two people who invaded his house. I think they were intolerant, forced their views and didn't accept other believes. I am a Christian. Brad....... Read the whole thread, MANY people cited examples of the better side, then go pray, then come back and edit your post. If there is a particular comment you found offensive, respond to it, don't accuse Purplechest of slamming any group because of what others have posted in this thread. If you want to discuss worldviews, look up a thread I started entitled, "Why do we think we know so much?"

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

My wife hasn't spoken to her family in about 20 years, and her parents have been dead for 25 years or so. What are inlaws anyway? Very Happy

For the next time they visit: Hunt up a second remote for the TV or whatever. A broken one. Then, during their visit, swap the good one for the broken one, wait for the FIL to pick it up, and then you can complain that he broke it.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Edit:: At MrMojo, no after-life judging Razz (see my first post) Wink

Nope. I just stated that if they believe in that, they have a nasty surprise coming up to them, my opinion only, according to the way I think Christians should act and live. I'm not condemning them to hell or anything, just that we all get what we deserve, in a way, even if we're born-again and get saved.

As in fumbbl as in life, you can play the game very differently have different outcomes, even if you win/lose.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 08:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Purple chest, don't you realise, they are Americans?

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL

I´ve just read the original post (not the other ones), and I can just laugh and pray for I never have to live with that.... Sorry Purplechest, and congrats for staying without killing anyone in those ten days...
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I know this is really off the original subject but do people in other countries (damn foreigners!) think that every American is a bible thumping, conservative, hick, xenophobe ? I can tell you this, I am no xenophobe. I like aliens, unless they have tentacles and are a lot stronger than me. Then I couldn't dodge. That wouldn't be cool.

I really should start a thread call "Ask an American" where you can ask one of us to answer a question honestly. Then again, way may be truth for me (I live in Maine, the NE section of the USA) may not be true for a Californian.