59 coaches online • Server time: 21:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
celas

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2005 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the other point to make here, which hunter may have touched on, is that some teams are bad match ups for one another. Gnomes will do better against slow teams that need to bash to win (e.g., Nurglings) . With AV 8 and thick skull, there is little hope to outbash them. MV 5 and no ability to dodge with reliability will not allow you to out-manuever them. Regenerating from bombs or Orcslayers hits does you little good when the regenerated player is in the dugout and not stopping the slow onslaught of Gnomes, who can take forever to score. Could it be that Nurglings (which are one of the best long-term teams in stunty) actually have a team that is well-suited to play them.....?

As far as looking at gken1's games versus gnomes, we could ignore the first two matches since they were pre-change, although it appears as though one of the coaches was skilled and the other is a very poor player. In the last three matches gken1 played against coaches with as high or higher win % than him, so I would expect it to be a good game. The match report of the one azz-kicking gken1 took from gnomes indicates that he lost a beast and a star hire early in the first half, which may explain a lot. Not quite enough yet to make any strong conclusions.....also were these games played after Nurglings lost thick skull? Maybe that has played a small role in the team going 0/3/4 over the past two months whereas before the team was 8/3/3....

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2005 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

FA works fine against bombs.
Kommando

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2005 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

i can only renew my offer: everyone that thinks that gnomes are too strong can send me a pm and we'll have a best of 5 with me playing 5 different stunty teams of his choice against his gnomes. (i won't do that against more than three opps though) i fancy myself a fairly decent stunty player although in reality i pretty much suck by now i guess Smile
gken1

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not basing this just on my team, we're running a league with 8 coaches--3 gnome teams. Gnomes are in 3 of top 4 spots.

they are dominating the league. The bombers are too good without stunty.

And Hunter, I did the best I could with my dice rolls. You should've won the game the way it went, so please don't coach me on how to play.

I had Foul App and Tz's on your bombers but you never fumbled with your bombers...never even had to use pass.

Just shows that piekko doesn't see enough of the big picture to make changes to stunty.

Stunty did use to be fun.
hunter

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I'm not basing this just on my team, we're running a league with 8 coaches--3 gnome teams. Gnomes are in 3 of top 4 spots.
they are dominating the league.

You failed to mention that the teams did not have equal TR/TS values when the group was formed. My gnome team was the most developed of all in the group, and I believe the other 2 gnome teams were more developed than most of the other teams.

As for our match, I'm sure both of us made mistakes that led to the resulting tie. I don't remember my bombers performing as spectacularly as you do, but I do recall that my 1 niggler niggled, and 2/3 remaining Bommaz and 1/2 Cannonz were spotted by the ref at the end of the first half, so in the 2nd half I only had 1 Bomma and 1 Cannon. I doubt that my single Bomma was adequately able to stave off the Nurgling onslaught without help from his teammates for the entire half.

Regardless, my point is that you seem to be using specific examples to argue your position, and that there simply isn't enough data to take a firm stance. We need input from a variety of coaches, from a variety of games, against a variety of races, at a variety of TR/TS.

I think that's all I have to say about this for now, until we have more data.

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

all the teams started in the 150TR range. the teams were developed enough to compete with each other.

Your bombers did perform very well. and getting 3 outta 5 is just above average --- probably shoulda gotten 2 outta 5. but that's besides the point anyway.
Kommando

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

well, its 2 x 10+ and 3 x 8+. thats defenitely not an average roll lol.
gken1

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Do the math.........
41% chance to get a bomber. so 2 outta three is just over average.
rolling a 10+ on 2 chances is about a 1 in 3 chance. so getting one is not impossible.

lol!

Last edited by gken1 on %b %20, %2005 - %02:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a "I've got a bigger willie than you do" contest to me.
EvolveToAnarchism

Post 9 Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 05:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't believe this needs to be said again.

BadMrMojo wrote:
Nice to see the spirit of intelligent discussion is still alive and kicking.

Ms. Manners, over the span of several posts, wrote:
shut the hell up.
well you're an idiot then.

And they say that oration is a lost art.

(Perhaps, if you dropped some of the vitriol, people might actually bother reading the points you are making, some of which may actually be good ones.)

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

While I don't agree with gken1's choice of words, I will like to fortify some of what he has said. Our group has now engaged in 3 stunty tournaments. First tournament last summer had:
1 snotlings
1 strigoyan
1 goblin cheaters
1 fairies
1 chaos halfling team
1 nurglings
no gnomes.

second tourney was in fall and included:

2 fairie teams
2 snotlings
1 nurglings
1 cheaters
1 pygmy
no gnomes.

third tourney occurs this year after the gnome roster change. we now have

3 gnome teams
1 fairie team
1 chaos halfling
1 nurgling
1 pygmy
1 halfling

I think originally it was going to have 4 gnome teams, but somebody changed for variety sake. Anyway, the 3 gnome teams are currently ranked 1,2, and 4...none are suffering at all. I do not believe it's a coincidence that after the roster change, we went from no gnome teams to a unpresidented plurarity....this group is a competitive bunch...they know where the power is.

Furthermore, many coaches have come to the conclusion of boycotting games against gnomes. I think that alone is enough signalling to pull back on the team's power.

I suggest the following:

make the bomber and cannon star players for hire.
balance off with low cost RR

this will make gnomes strong points:
1) by far the most resilent team on the field and therefore will possess a numbers advantage as the game progresses, even against uber big guys
2) daredevils: most competent player in stunty. average movement, no negative traits, no illegal weapon roll, RR access, and starts with block, gen access,
3) high number of RR
4) useful star player hires

disadvantages:
very low movement (making sure feet and sprint widely chosen skills)
TTM only accessable via pay-per-game.

Kommando,
Sounds like a good plan, I'll be interested in the results. Thanks for volunteering.

everyone else,
how have gnomes faired in your recent tournaments?

Last edited by Arktoris on %b %20, %2005 - %16:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
celas

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2005 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

My Stunty Tourney featuring twelve team of different races playing against each other and starting at the same TR (and no G access for BGs unless you roll doubles) has shown that gnomes can be damaged and do not always win. Even when played by an experienced stunty coach.
Kommando

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2005 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

arktoris-
you forgot to add:

disadvantages:
almost no chances to win
almost no development perspectives
Jasonian

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2005 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

No love for da cheaters?
hunter

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2005 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

2) daredevils: most competent player in stunty. average movement, no negative traits, no illegal weapon roll, RR access, and starts with block, gen access, and 3 agility (and no stunty passing penalty)

Just a quick correction... Daredevilz start with 2 AG, so tougher to dodge and ballhandle with than the rest of the team.

~hunter