23 coaches online • Server time: 13:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Crisss

Post 3 Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 03:30 Reply with quote Back to top

i all,
a modest proposal:
why not add a tab in the profile of the customer to know the total number of dice rolled in the total number of matches and single match. in this way we know our "luck" Idea
total of 1,2,3,4,5,6 and pow,skull,push,etc...
what do you think
accept suggestions

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

It would just make more people complain about dice. Like when there was a Luck-O-Meter.
Nagi21

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 04:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it... gives proof when someone says they have bad dice...
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

next time you use full caps for a topic of a thread, you will get banned from the forums for a week... I hate that soooooo much...

Besides that, I like it. We even had this with the old client.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this is a smarter way to show luck. show the dice tallies, just like the old replay client did.

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

i thought it was a joke when you wrote "modest" in FULL CAPS

but yeah. i think the community would benefit form this
happygrue

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 05:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but I think it's more complicated than just tallying dice.

The problem with just keeping track of dice rolled is that it doesn't take into account how much risk was in the actions. For example, which is luckier:

1) Three 2D blocks, resulting in: Pow/Pow, Pow/Pow, Skull/Skull.

2) Two 2D blocks, resulting in Pow/Skull, Pow/Skull, then a 2D defender choice block resulting int Pow/Pow.

Both cases total 4 Pows and 2 Skulls, but one is far 'luckier' than the other - and the 'bad play' has a much better outcome than the good. We could list cases all day, but my point is that keeping track of dice without also measuring expected value doesn't really say that much. And keeping track of EV in a sensible manner is also complicated.

That said, it would be great to have more statistics! Better to have the tallies than not, but I suspect that the reason it's not in the game already is that it's hard to decide exactly how to do it in an effective and meaningful manner.

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
I'm not saying it's a bad idea but I think it's more complicated than just tallying dice.

The problem with just keeping track of dice rolled is that it doesn't take into account how much risk was in the actions.

That was exactly the problem with the old luck-o-meter.

If you go down that route, you also have to calculate something far more important - the impact a failed roll will have on the game at that point. Which of course is impossible.

Let's keep it simple. Just a straight forward dice roll spread.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Wallace

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 05:49 Reply with quote Back to top

For those who weren't around, there was a luck-o-meter in the old LRB4 client. It was introduced because people were ROBBED by the dice an needed to be able to prove it to the world or they would DIE!!

So the luck-o-meter was introduced, then forever more 3 times a week someone would start a thread about how the it was BROKEN and so not only were they ROBBED by the dice, the world was LIED to about the luck!

It's kind of like [B], everyone moaned about cherry picking and demanded a scheduler, then as soon as that was provided the moaning about how TV/TS matching is not how BB is 'supposed' to be played was even louder than the anti-cherry picking rants!

Trust me, people will whine about their luck with or without a luck-o-meter!
Elyoukey

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 08:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Wallace wrote:

Trust me, people will whine about their luck with or without a luck-o-meter!

I agree, and i would say that they would probably whine more if they have a way to "see" it.

also agree with happygrue, the EV is as important as the probability.
and so is the situation, a 5+ dodge to avoid assists on turn 1 is not a good move, a 5+ dodge to blitz the ball carrier on turn 7 may be the best option.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
happygrue wrote:
The problem with just keeping track of dice rolled is that it doesn't take into account how much risk was in the actions.

That was exactly the problem with the old luck-o-meter.

If you go down that route, you also have to calculate something far more important - the impact a failed roll will have on the game at that point. Which of course is impossible.

So, it's actually the reward of the risk taken that can't be measured. The risk itself was calculated correctly (except in two cases, one of those was regularly occurring in a match, making the old luckmeter very flawed).
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2011 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Nagi21 wrote:
I like it... gives proof when someone says they have bad dice...

more likely, proof that they dod not

LAMMER DICE!!!
Crisss

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2011 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

this is only a proposal, the number of dice roll. next we can decide to improve the Luck Factor for exemple if u need a 2+ or 3+ roll we can compare the roll in purcentage
Roll 2+ need, 83,33% normal, u have 92,50% more
Roll 3+ need, 66,66% normal, u have 59,98% less
etc...

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2011 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

What about the pass ? you need a 5 to succedd, but a 3 is enough to not fumbbl and get the ball away from your opponent .
What about the blocks ? you need a pow to free the way, but a push make you just do a 2+ dodge with reroll, only the skull ruin your day.
What about the dodge, when i did position everybody right and i don't even need to succedd the dodge because i just want to take the square, all i want is the player in the square to roadblock you, so only an armor passed and a 8+injury will mess up, how the algorythm could be aware of that ?
what about this about-to-be-surfed-player that throw a 1 die block and get a skull keeping him on the pitch when a push would have let him in positino to get surfed by the witch for free ?

i think luck mesure in bloodbowl is not implementable. it is just a gut feeling.