66 coaches online • Server time: 20:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2013 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember a post some months ago looking for suggestions on the coaching stats page, and I had a vague idea that now makes a lot more sense. I think that a few concise, concrete changes to the coaching stats page layout would have a huge impact in showing coaches what they and others do, and might have a significant effect on the game, without reinventing the wheel.

Here's what I'm looking at. I think that a bit of a header, a couple extra columns (against per game and for/vs as a ratio), and if you like a couple extra rows, could be pretty useful. But moreover, I think the real solution is in adding more filter menus beyond simply division.

Filters: instead of one button for division, it would be awesome if we had more. Definitely, a racial filter and a filter for wins, ties, and losses: more than that would be awesome, like one for opposing race, one for TV (250k brackets?), one for TV differential (±0-4, +5-9, +10-14, +15-29, +30 or more, ditto for -TV) for how recent the match was (last 10, last 30, last 100, last 6 months), whatever you like. I'd also like to submit that the division menu should include a line-item for all "competitive" (R+B) play.

Header (all stats after filters):
Number Games Played
CR (filtered for Competitive, R, or B only: default is N/A)
Record (W-T-L (Wpct) in filtered games)
Form (record and Wpct last 30 games)
Favorite Races (top 3, percent)

Columns: add two columns, against per game, and ratio.

Statistics: I think tracking GFIs and AG rolls would be a good thing. Ditto player-turns:team-turns, that could be a powerful stat. I think most of the key stuff is there.

That's basically my idea. More filter menus, two more columns on the stats page, include CR and record in a way that lets them be applied after filters, and maybe add a couple new statistics while at it. The filters and columns are the key parts.

What do y'all (especially those in power and/or knowledgeable in the ways of programming) think?

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2013 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

no

Razz

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2013 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to filter records so it only shows last 50/100 games or whatever. My overall win% will always suck cos I was so bad when I started and it would be cool to get stats for just my recent games.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2013 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The last thing in the world I want is more menus, I have enough as it is....
LoxleyAndy

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2013 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Love most of the suggestions - particualarly adding more filters, but also, the header, and extra columns.

Not a huge fan of the suggestions for extra rows - doubt GFIs is important enough to most people, and player turns:team turns doesn't sound like that powerful a stat to me...
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

EFP (Edited for Pythrr)

(Player Turns: Team Turns) speaks to removal. I agree that it's probably a better stat for tracking individual matches, but it would be beyond interesting (useful, even) to know how these stats change once you filter for outcome, race, and division.

Total # d6 rolls is important. Re: Go-For-It vs AG roll, hard to say. Maybe # d6 rolls with knockdown on the line? Something like that. But that's the least important part, TBH. Mostly the filters.

@Harv: I don't think optional filters, like those filtering for division and race on the game/CR/record stats by coach pages, would add any complexity for folks like you, who are happy to feel your way through: you'd just never use those filters (or you would, if you wanted). Some of us, on the other hand, like to see data and make extrapolations from it.

Here's another one: on the racial grid at the bottom of the stats within a division, note the coach's CR and record with/against each race (Box and Ranked only, of course).

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %26, %2013 - %03:%Feb; edited 2 times in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

TMA.

Too. Many. Acronyms.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 04:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd also like to be able to separate all the #'s on the Profile page in diff Divisions, like the stats page - L, R, B, etc, for an overview. Not all coaches perform the same in each, or try to.

And/or on the stats page (where you currently can sort by Division), have the same stats as on that Profile page available.

Love to also be able to break down stat's "by Race" and "v. Race" as well. (& see next)

JimmyFantastic wrote:
I would like to filter records so it only shows last 50/100 games or whatever. My overall win% will always suck cos I was so bad when I started and it would be cool to get stats for just my recent games.

+1

But no reason to lock in a specific number - could be any number, or by date, or even a range "from-to". Something more like the FUMBBL "Top Lists" page.

Even a graph attached to the stats to show changes over time (to choose the "pie in the sky" poll option).

I left for a few years (LRB4) and came back - pain in the ass to try to see how I've been doing in comparison, and to track my "new" progress since re-learning under the new rules.

harvestmouse wrote:
The last thing in the world I want is more menus, I have enough as it is....

Then keep it all on the stats page, and keep the default "Profile Page" info we have now as-is (or so). Don't have to use it if you don't want it.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the profile page should remain the same, or even drop some stats for simplicity's sake. Or be customizable... but that's a suggestion for another thread.

I'm strictly talking about the coach stats page. The only addition that wouldn't be optional, from the coach's perspective, is the two added columns: per game against and ratio.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2013 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea, I think the most useful option would be to be able to split the CR/Games/W% for B/R and L.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2013 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting. I think comparative stats by race and outcome would be the biggest thing.