24 coaches online • Server time: 10:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Good idea?
yes
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
interesting/ unsure
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
No way Jose
76%
 76%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 38

keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

This may be a silly question to some, but I wanted to ask opinions. I have a newish Ranked CD team. I am building them for Tourny play. I was going to take Guard on all the CDs first skill, and then Break tackle for the second on 1/2 of them, Stand Firm on the other. I am not scared of a 3 up dodge, and have contemplating this as a strategy. Am I foolish? I just want to build a different kind of team, whether it loses or wins, I just want to be non-cookie cutter.

My main idea is to have a bit more mobility with out tying up my Gobs for Support. Basically, Dodge away a CD and put that Guard player in a better position. It may be fun.

Jeffro
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably about as good as taking diving catch on WE linemen.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

nah. worth it on a 4st blocker, maybe, but there are much better skills. BT on the bulls is great tho.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If you plan to do a lot of marking, mayb-- oh, you said Break Tackle as opposed to Diving Tackle... eh, I'd pass on it and get Guard first.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

MB then Guard seems to work better for me.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 05:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really going for the cookie cutter MB, PO, G CD players. Its unorthodox to say the least, but I think it will work.

Jeffro
licker

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

fend is better

both are bad though, but if your goal is to try something different then go for it and let us know how it worked
huff

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

MB/G, G/MB, SF... That's how I'd build my CDs. I don't think you'd get much mileage out of BT, I'd say just go all SF.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The value of spending a skill to turn turn a 4+ (no-RR) dodge into a 3+ is... questionable.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 07:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it could be a good idea to try out.
It IS Ranked after all. People aren't as likely to duck you for having BT as they are to duck you for having MB/PO. So... it could make finding games somewhat easier than the cookie cutter build. I know I would play you just to see how you used the team.
I don't think it needs to be 3 G/SF and 3 G/BT though. That might be more BT than you really want early on. AND I agree with Licker in that Fend would be a more useful skill.
I would consider maybe going 2 G/SF, 2 G/F and 2 B/BT... or 4 G/SF and 2 G/BT as I think you will get better use out of the skills this way.
I think Fend and Stand Firm work well in combination on 1 player. I think SF and BT work well on the same player.
Fend is a good skill for repositioning your players... especially low AG players and players you want to use for man-marking.
If you are playing a positioning based/Man-marking strategy being able to mark up where you want on your turn... then during your opponents turn you can Stand Firm or Fend him off from advancing and later reposition your piece... those skills can be invaluable to the success of such a strategy. Plus... with all the CLPOMB out there I would think Fend would be key to any coach trying to play this type of strategy.
Roland

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd wait until +ST, then bt
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see it. You're basically turning him into an AG3 guy without dodge. (Except that he still can't handle the ball.) How often do you normally dodge out with a guy like that? Any scenario where you're dodging with that guy is a scenario where you're desperate enough to do it on a 4+ too.

(And what big deal is dodging with him anyway? He can move 3 more squares. Not enough to do much more than rearrange the scrum a bit, which he could do better by hitting a guy.)

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

If everyone is using cookie cutters where are all the damn cookies huh? I'm hungry!

I reckon go for Grab instead and you can free up players by blocking instead of dodging.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd take Fend for more mobility. It's a different build, probably inferior, but certainly interesting to play.

Break Tackle is a fun idea, but I'd wait for it until you have a more interesting player (for example +ST or +MA).
Another problem with Break Tackle is that it's negated if its player rolls +AG. On a "different" CD team, you might consider taking it on a Blocker, and then Break Tackle would be wasted.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2015 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Fend/SF/Grab are all better if you want to take suboptimal skills.