9 coaches online • Server time: 06:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mori-mori-mori

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Does it, and if it does not, then why? Seems like great, fun and original play format: http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/09/23/squig-bowl/squig-bowl.pdf
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 02:23 Reply with quote Back to top

No, it doesn't. And why? Because... it's volunteer made, time is limited, and squigbowl is just one of many variant house rules, and far from the most popular. Why would that one be picked over any number of other possible optional rules? Some of which are already available, while others may be in time.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Some of which are already available

Could you elaborate on that? I'm really interested in play formats that really differ from the "classic" BB (that's why I joined the fumbbl, after all, it's more open minded than commercial systems (Cyanide's Leagues)). Squigbowl just seemed strikingly original to me, yet well-thought and relatively simple, so I thought it has to be popular and well-known.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

There are various optional rules available to use in the League division, including, for one example, a spiked ball, which stabs players if they fail to pick it up or catch it. There is a forum thread somewhere which details them all, but I can't remember where exactly at the moment. You could create a group & a tournament within it to find out.

And no, Squigbowl is far from well known. The most popular variants rules are things like Dungeon Bowl, 7s, StreetBall, which are all widely played enough to have had their own TT tournaments. However, they are also all different enough from regular BB that implementing them would be a considerable effort. 7s is the exception, and has been played on here in the past. It's possible they're still doing so, I'm not sure if that league is still going.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 03:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

in the near-ish future specialty things should be easier implemented. so whatever good you see now its gonna get better!
tussock

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 03:11 Reply with quote Back to top

You can play 7s, in the 7s groups, there's all the stunty teams (including Squigs) in Stunty League. Spiked balls and other variant rules you can activate in Leagues, inducement changes, expenses changes, the monkeys, stuff for res tourneys, non-advancement leagues, and whatever else you agree to do within the engine as part of league rules, like build all-linemen teams with limited advancement options (PO only for big guys shows up a lot) or no fouling or whatever you like.

But you've got to hunt around the groups list and look for what's around and what's active in your time zone. The Southern Survivalist League is kicking off season 2 soonish, with no retirements allowed, a spiked ball, one team from each race randomly assigned to coaches, variant Right Stuff cancels tackle on blocks, Sneaky Git to KO box when sent off, no stacking of the killstack skills, and a bunch of other stuff I forget. The ST 4 Minotaur and Ogre are still serving their respective coaches well, which you don't really see elsewhere.

Custom teams are whispered of, or at least the big secret set of them, another ... 68 teams! Not yet though, but I guess all that work's being done for something more than the fun of it. Smile

If someone's keen to administer it, they could start up a League of their own and drag plenty of coaches in to whatever weird set of rules they wanted. Bit of art, a theme to make teams for (as inspiration), a nice forum thread, enough time to figure out the admin tools, you're away laughing.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a coder, but I think that would be far too hard to code to be worth it. Extra balls on it's own is troublesome.
Mori-mori-mori

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I'm not a coder, but I think that would be far too hard to code to be worth it. Extra balls on it's own is troublesome.

I don't think so. For first, the logic behind the "ball" in it is pretty simple - there is no logic at all, no need to write AI or something, it's either purely random, or follows very strict rules. And turn-based nature of the game itself makes things even more simple - no race conditions, no any kind of conflict resolutions. For the second, after you have coded the logic for each kind of the ball it doesn't matter much how many of them are on the pitch - they will behave the same, and will move in turns.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Cyanide is actually more open minded about house rules than us. Fumbbl is about as conservative as it can get Wink We just have been around much longer and the coding is simpler and has adressed more issues the Cyanide developers weren't able to see.

But I read a very recent comment from them that that they are aiming to deviate from the boardgame on the long run and will try to adapt the rules based on evaluation of user data just like it is done with other computer games like Starcraft. Which I think is a very wise step if they ever follow through on that plan.

We do have a lot of customizability in league due to the fact that it was pretty clear the rules would need fixing by the time the client was created. Although nothing remotely as fancy and complex as what you are suggesting.
The most ambitious project so far has been the (incomplete) implementation of the cards.

If you look at what the ball all needs to do, you should realize that this would be an incredibly ambitious project. I do not know how difficult it would be to implement multiple balls. It could be very easy or very hard depending enitrely on the design. But debugging multiple balls would most certainly be a major pain. (Player with ball runs on the square with the ball, ball bounces on player with ball, ball bounces on square with ball, wrestle brings two balls down at the same time, etc.)
bigbullies

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
The ST 4 Minotaur

Heh thats my mini mino Very Happy happened first game hahaha
And our league ( DIBBL) have played crazy 8's and a stunty league (only flings gobbos and ogres) and we (ramchop) also ran a BIG star cauldron which required a bit of manual input from him but paid off to deliver a unique experience for we who played. (below was the base idea)

Teams start at 1,100k value. They must have 11 starting players plus room for a mandatory Big Guy Star inducement. E.g. You could build an Orc team of 830k and take Ripper.
Admins will ensure there’s enough money in your kitty to induce your chosen Big Star every game. No dipping into this for other purchases. Also, if you make it past Round 1, you may only spend your winnings on team purchases (no touching the unspent start up money).

A Big Guy Star is any star St5+. There are 14 of these Big Guy Stars
Add in the two Ball&Chains (St7) which are a bit too cheap to affect the budget. So, money needs to be spent on bribes to keep them on the field Fungus (+3 bribes) and Fezglitch (+2 bribes). Their bribes may only be used to keep them in the game - unless they get injured, after which can be used on the rest of the team.
And Big Guy Star #17 is Puggy.

No team may have more than one Big Guy Star.

It's a Straight Knock Out competition. We'll get between 8 and 16 teams (aiming for the full 16 of course). You're not committing yourself to too many games here (maybe only 1). A great chance to try out FUMBBL with people you know.
Kill-Kill

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2015 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Multiple balls shouldn't be too hard to implement--they show up every now and then already!

But on a serious note, while it might be a cool feature, there are a ton of things ahead of it that I think more people would benefit from.

But you made up the reasons to fight
 Jump to: