58 coaches online • Server time: 19:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

7 losses, 2 draws and 1 win in last ten games. And the games BEFORE that weren't much better...

I seem to be on a downwards spiral. My tactics lack imagination or flair, I am increasingly resorting to trying simplistic, 'smash my way through' tactics and thus being outplayed. I instinctively play 'Bash' style teams but aren't much good at them. Although I am mentally capable of playing strategically (I do so in other games quite effectively) I seem unable to use that part of my brain regularly enough playing BB.

Inducement games seem to be a nightmare for me with none of them (apart from halfling master chef) ever working.

My Khemri team in the KPL is a disaster, barely offering a competitive game.

145 league helps but due to timings, I have not been able to get enough games as I would have liked.

I thought I would try Blackbox for variety but my first game I lose by concession going 1-0 with 2 dead dorfs in first half. Team now retired. I fear more disasterous games if I attempt blackbox again right now..

Increasingly I seem to be mentally resigned to losing earlier and earlier in games and thus 'switching off' a bit. I have no confidence really with this game at the moment. But I don't like to just give up and walk away.I don't mind losing. I just despair at playing games where it feels like I can't even do anything competitive/interesting/productive etc in them.

So wise FUMBBL folk - what DO I do to break this pattern? Any useful advice? Is this normal? Am I just playing the wrong game?

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Try requesting a training game.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

My main strategy is not to worry about it.

Bad steaks come and go.

But if this is more of an "how do I get better" kind of a thread well, then I only have some suggestions.

Breaking the pattern:

First of all, play more games.

Second, break your team habits. If you play mostly bash, switch to dash.

Third, watch good coaches playing teams you like vs teams you hate.

Fourth, don't worry about it. You won't notice it straight away but each game is making you better at this even if it doesn't feel like it at all.

And to be honest, there's a limit to how good you can be in a game where you have a 1 in 6 chance of failing even the easiest roll.

Oh and...

Fifth, try and have fun out there even when you lose. It actually helps a lot. Just crack jokes about the game, not only is it more cathartic than whining (in my opinion), but it also makes for a more fun game for everyone involved. Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I had something similar, then tried flings for a laugh. It worked brilliantly. Not only did I start to be more adventurous, because what the hell it's only flings, but I also improved my positioning. Same works with zombies for me, slow as hell so makes you think a little more carefully where to place them.

Generally I position for my dice rolls to fail, unless I'm in an odd mood which leads to trying unlikely passing games with ag2 Very Happy

The training game idea is good too, plenty of experienced helpful people about.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers folks. Good to know I am not alone in having experienced this.

I will have a look at the training game idea - especially when it comes to playing a non-bashy team. Thanks for tip Smile

Watching other coaches - good idea and something I haven't really done. Probably a very good idea for me actually.

Thus far, I mainly play Orc/Dorf/Chaos or Khemri. Uber bashers i guess. I am thinking that maybe play more as Necro (I have played a few games as them) and Chaos Dwarf as they might be a good transition for me. Still bashy but with more variety to their play. I am thinking that jumping straight across to elves/skaven but be too bigger step to begin with.

I actually just won my last game Smile Played another rookie coach - my dorfs V his underworld. Actually a really fun game - not because I won - but because the dice made it interesting, both teams scoring, lots of Casualties/KO's etc on both sides and an enthusiastic, chatty and quick playing opponent which meant the game whizzed by. Alot of fun and helped my morale somewhat.

Cheers for suggestions Smile

Uedder

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone has or had this kind of streak.

Just relax. Play for the fun. I think it helps to stop for a while. A day, a week or whatever. Sometimes you get stuck on autoplay, or in mind loops that you keep thinking in the same way, or think about every wrong game you recently had, or things like that.

Take a breath, chill out and have fun. The wins will come.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice is to spectate.

I learn so much from that. Pick a race you like to play and watch the best coaches.

When the dice mess you over it is soul crushing.
When the dice mess someone else over, it is fun to watch.

I'd also advise that you play people who are better than you. Not soo much that you don't know why you are losing. But good enough that you don't really have a chance.
In this game don't even care about winning, focus on how they play and what they does to you.

Can't train all the time, that isn't fun.

Oh and spectate, i have some coaches I always try to spectate if they are playing. (E.g. p4m's scaven or Bigguy's khem)
(note that coaches skill varies with race, so a legend might be playing all wrong because their last 100 games were with woodelves)
Shakall

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Watched replays from your games
Igvy

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Shakall wrote:

Caution - are you ready for the truth?
Noone is.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Having a fumbbl break can help. Make you miss it. I also like playing vampires, you will lose, but you can't help but laugh as the vamps eat their own side hehe

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Shakall wrote:

Constructive criticism always welcome.

Woodstock

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

tbh, you are still quite the rookie.. less than 300 games.

- Stick to a few races you like the most or you play the best.
- Watch the replays of the best coaches how they play these races and develop their team.
- play more games... and learn from your mistakes. Even if you win, you could've played better. Experience is always good.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I'll bite. I don't play Orcs, but I play some elves so I've played against a few. Took a look at one of your matches and saw this one in which you say there were "...ridiculously lopsided dice...etc.". Too be honest, only the very last TD was a lucker play by the elves ^^

I don't want to get into too much detail, but a couple of things stand out for me.

1) You have 14 players which is probably 2 too many which is wasted TV against elves because those extra players will probably never take the pitch. In fact, you had 3 or 4 players in the reserves the whole match, somewhere around 200K value that were never used.

2) Cages. A good coach knows that their cage against elves has to be tight. Every elf coach is looking for an opportunity to leap in and free that ball up. Your elf opponent didn't have any guard, so your guarders would of been put to better use supporting the ball carrier so that if they try to free the ball up, it's 2 dice you pick- better odds than the 1 dice opportunity that saw your blitzer knocked down. Instead, you put the guarders on the line to help knock over and injure the tree, something unlikely to happen. Admittedly I suck at caging, but that's why I play elves Very Happy

3) Setups- the sidelines are completely open letting the elves set up a sideline cage & score. In general, your tacklers are too far back where they can't help out & your setup is very conservative. The elf team is full of blodgers, & there's two of them on the line. Wouldn't those tacklers be better used to tackle them? When receiving in T5, your players are so far back that in the end you run a single blitzer forward in T7 - an easy target. You also forgot to defend the opposite sideline so when the ball pops free, it was an easy TD for the elves.

there were also other strange things you did : 2nd half & kicking you get a blitz result. First thing you do is throw a bomb which knocks over your own player & ending the turn. Why wouldn't you move players forward & blitz? even if the bomb hits you, you have 2 points of armour on the elves.

Ok. That got a bit long winded ^^ but hopefully this helps a bit. I recommend watching some good Orc players & studying their matches against elves - copy their successful setups & study their cages.

cheers!
tussock

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Jamerson, Orcs are the team you seem to play the most at higher TV, and Orcs are a very bad team up there. Your Chaos teams are low TV, and low TV Chaos are also quite a bad team.

Dwarfs, likewise, start out pretty average and get worse, like Norse. If you want to bash and win, play Undead teams at low TV (they end up average, but start easy), and Chaos Dwarves any time (always well above average), or put 50+ games into a Nurgle team to get them up over 2000 and you'll start winning a lot with them too.

Your mental resignation to losing, it may be an accurate representation of your team.

--

Still, that Dwarf box game where you retired off a couple of lucky kills, it's not a cage if your corners are in someone's TZ already. That's not how that works. Cages are where the only target for a blitz, without a 6+ dodge, is the corner men, because no one can block them.

Also, punch more Skinks, and get them next to your Tacklers. 2d Tackle them, and 2d Frenzy them. You beat Lizards by punching Skinks, not by trying to squeeze a flawed half-cage down a very tight sideline near all their big guys. Just in general for bash teams, you hit the weakest links.

Like, Lizards are a very good team, but Dwarfs can take them on even because they have Block and Tackle to wipe out the Skinks, not because they can actually stand up to the Saurus and Krox, no one can do that, they're too big and too fast.

If you've got to form a cage next to someone to move it at all, make sure you can push them back, blitz it clear if need be. Use that Dauntless and -2d work when you've got to, but first option is always punch more Skinks, at 2d, and get them in TZs with your Tacklers.

The deaths were a fluke, it's just random.

--

0-4 with Orcs vs Woodies at 1800.

0: AG 5 Pro Wardancer, so you're going to lose. Never really had a chance.
1: You deliberately stood next to a rooted tree. Just, no, OK. Leave it alone, weakest targets first, punch elves, hit the tree once you've cleared the field of everyone else for a laugh.
2: At the end of the first, you just gave them the ball for a TD. Don't do that.
3: you took Bomber, and wasted your blitz turn with him, there was a catcher in range of your Tackle blitzer! Hit the weak things first already.
3a: Seriously, wall of orc between the elves and your goal line for that common sideline move, without even rolling a die, standing next to them does nothing (unless you're Nurgle for the Disturbing Presence).
3b: Elves catch well, don't throw the bomb at their square, they'll catch it. That's a bad thing.
3c: 3d on the North catcher, 1 assist, the other Blocker can't reach anyone anyway. Speaking of catcher, should've already gone down in the blitz action.
4: Stop standing next to the tree. Really. It's bigger than you.
5: Did I mention AG 5 wardancer?
6: That massive scrum at the end, that's your goal in life playing against elves, get them all to come to you, then punch them, clear the field, and win. Just make sure the tree hasn't got there yet.

NB: Wood Elves beat Orcs 70% of the time up there, most of the time you just can't clear them fast enough, especially lacking TPOMBers, Wracklers, and Dirty Players because it's Ranked.

... so, basically, same things Rbthma saw
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Some of the comments seem to suggest that you need to have a look at this. Even if you have already seen it.

Jump to: