56 coaches online • Server time: 16:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kanny

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Hiya guys, so me and my friends are about to start a new league and I'm playing as Goblins. We had to submit at least an 11 man team to the league before knowing who we would face in our first match.

My team looks as follows thus far:
3x Re-rolls
2x Trolls
9 x Goblins

I decided to wait to see who my opponent was before filling out the rest (my current TV: 760).

So I found out that my first opponent is a Dark Elf coach who opted for the following build:

1x Re-roll
4x blitzers
2x Assassins
1x Runner
4x Linemen

Ordinarily I would say this is a pretty sub-optimal pick by him but those two Assassins have me super spooked. I don't know how I can effectively protect my goblin secret weapons (and all my other goblins for that matter) from getting stabbed to bits.

I figure I'll probably spend my remaining cash on a Fanatic and a 4th re-roll (leaving me 110k for inducements/bribes). I'm sort of banking that my Trolls will be OK and I have the money in the bank to replace my fanatic if needs be. Still maybe another goblin or an apothecary would be wiser than the 4th re-roll.

Do you guys have any advice you could offer in a match up like this? How best should I handle the threat of the assassins (or am I over reading the danger they represent).
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

You're scared his AV7 player with no bonus to AV when he stabs will take out your AV6 player who gets +3 when he chainsaws? He needs to roll 7 on 2d6. If/when he fails, he's now stood next to a saw, who only needs to roll 5 on 2d6...

So yeah, the easy answer is: kill the Assassins with the secret weapons. A +3 AV Blitz, Block, or Foul, a bomb, or a 3 dice Fanatic/Troll Block are all good easy ways to kill Assassins.

And yeah, in general, you're overreacting: his blitzers are much scarier than his stabbers. They are what you should be worried about. Though if you're worrying about anything, you're probably not goblin-ing right...

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I was going to take a fanatic (ball and chain) rather than a loony (chainsaw), but maybe the chainsaw is the better way to go for this reason. Worth considering, thanks Smile
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

The Loony is the best player on the Goblin roster (for what that's worth). Never leave home without one!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
You're scared his AV7 player with no bonus to AV when he stabs will take out your AV6 player who gets +3 when he chainsaws? He needs to roll 7 on 2d6.

The Looney has AV 7, not 6, therefore the Assassin needs an 8+ to successfully stab him.
ArthurWynne wrote:
The Loony is the best player on the Goblin roster (for what that's worth). Never leave home without one!

I think that the Fanatic is way better than the Looney, his skill progression better as well.
A Mighty Blow Guard Fanatic is not to be underestimated and can be used to tie opponent players, unlike the Looney, chainpush Goblins away from tackle zones and open paths.
Also, every time you want to use the Looney you have to check for the kick back test, and when he fails to break the AV he will be blocked back, with a +3 to his armour roll.
The Fanatic generally rolls 2 or 3 dice blocks, way more reliable than a Looney and he can even attack knocked down players.
Goblins are dicey enough as they are, no need to add another unreliable source of turnovers to the team.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Though if you're worrying about anything, you're probably not goblin-ing right...

Words of wisdom for all goblin coaches.

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2016 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't pick bomb against Elfs!!!

All other secret weapons and pogoer are good.. but elfs tend to catch the bomb and throw back. Bomb isn't good against high agility.. you only do damage if they roll poorly or you make inaccurate pass next to them.. if they get the ball they would most likely try to throw it to trolls because of their low ag.

Chainsaw armor 7 and chain&ball against everyone who is on his way Wink
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2016 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

kummo wrote:
Don't pick bomb against Elfs!!!

All other secret weapons and pogoer are good.. but elfs tend to catch the bomb and throw back. Bomb isn't good against high agility.. you only do damage if they roll poorly or you make inaccurate pass next to them.. if they get the ball they would most likely try to throw it to trolls because of their low ag.

Chainsaw armor 7 and chain&ball against everyone who is on his way Wink

Bombs are not good vs elves because of the INT chance, yes, but you should never be throwing directly at anyone with a bomb unless it's a desperate cage break attempt. Bomb INTs are common.

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2016 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Bomb their downed players! Bombs are like the cherry on the corpse Smile

Personally I'd grab 2 more goblins, a saw and then you can induce 2 bribes. Apply the boot, the saw and the troll. Don't worry about your players getting hurt yet as you have nothing that isn't cheap except trolls and they have regen. Plus your opponent probably won't block them.

As your opponent only has 1 reroll, you need to try and force them to burn this asap. No dodge means it's great to tie up some of their players and force the dodges. Their linemen and runners only have a 7/36 chance of getting you down. Kick if you can so you can focus on carnage without worrying about ball protection.

Next buys would be fanatic and apoth. I'd stick at 15 rostered players as that's enough to cover secret weapon forced play and leaves space for inducing a star.

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2016 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Your Gobbos have DODGE and his Elves DON'T... don't forget that this means YOU have the more mobile team because of the built in rerolls.

Man Mark his Linemen with Goblins... dare him either Dodge away OR to Block you with his Block-less Linemen. That ought to eat up his lone reroll quickly and cause a turnover OR cause him to play very tight in fear of a turnover. In my opinion Elves that are playing tight are hardly Elves at all.

If you man mark his Blitzers or Assassins try to do it with your Trolls. Block against your Goblins is a big advantage his way. Stab is in his favor... but not by as much in my opinion. But against your Trolls both are negligible.
He has to commit 4 players to get 2 dice against your Trolls on a Block. You only need 2 assists against 1 Elf to get a 3 Dice Block with a Troll.

Discern his stragtey on how he is dealing with your Trolls... try to turn his choices there against him.
Odds are he will try to avoid them rather than attack them. So you need to either stick them in the way and leave them there OR you need to Blitz with them to make trouble.
But if he attacks your Trolls... let him. Use the man advantage that gives you to illiminate some of his players with a Gang Blitz followed by a Gang Foul.
In either case remember how important your Trolls TZs are at the moment. Don't activate him unless you can aford to lose his 8 squares of influence on the pitch OR only use him if you view his action that turn as critical.

Don't forget the power of Stunty combined with Dodge to get you right into a Cage or into a Sideline 1/2 Cage. In a pinch with a reroll a 2Dice Down Blitz on the Ball could be a game changer or game saver.
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2016 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Looney is essential. Name him Krieger.

Jump to: