35 coaches online • Server time: 08:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Request to Maintain ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2016 - 06:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hullo Folks!

While researching a back ground for my new Elf TT team, I came across Tolkien's Half Elves, on the net. I am sure many people know this stuff already, but I wanted to share it with the others what I found. On a side note, I am about to read the Silmarillion, because it will explain more of this type of fascinating stuff. Now one thing I read about the "Pro" Elves, on other BB forums is that it was originally designed to replace High Elves, but because of a community upraor they just added a 4th team. Since in Warhammer world, there are only HE's, DE's and WE's I find it funny to have a 4th option. Its not a big deal of course. We all like variety, so no big whoop.

On the page I tagged (above) it has a Family Tree for Half Elves. I found it interesting, because I didn't know this, that Elrond, and Aragorn are kin in a way. So to sum it up, half elves have the opportunity to decide whether they want to live an Elf life, or a Human life. As a Human they live3 times as long as other Humans, which explains Aragorn's longer life. The line of Aragorn, goes back to Elros who is Elrond's sibling. Elros chose a life of a Human, and Elrond as an Elf. Why you may ask? Elves get an "endless life," but Humans spirits go to the "great unknown" after death. I guess that is appealing to some Half Elves. See what I mean about this stuff being interesting? (For you that know this stuff already, don't rain on our parade!)

So here is something I was thinking,; Why wouldn't one of the races, namely Pro Elves, be a Half Elf Race instead of another elf race? Maybe the Hig Elves should be Half Elves, and the Pro Elves become High Elves? Which Race would you prefer to see go Half'ers? I just thought this would be a fun Topic. Maybe better for a Poll, but I don't care for those as much. I also think it could be a good Secret League team, if designed right. I hope you all find this as interesting as I do. Smile

Jeffro
Roland

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2016 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Half-elves would be it Very Happy
https://fumbbl.com/help:HalfelfT
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2016 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

The full story behind pro elves-

In 2nd ed blood bowl was still a quasi warhammer like alternate universe however it wasn't quite as similar as it became in 3rd ed blood bowl. It was more cyber punky

In 2nd ed there was only dark elf and elf rosters. Elf represented high, wood and sea elf as the fluff denoted. But stats wise and aesthetically they looked more like pro elves of today.

After the disaster of 4th edition JJ decided to hand off rule changes to bbrc and in this period also said he regretted tying blood bowl universe so tightly with the warhammer one. There was plans to do away with undead roster and have necromantic instead, and get rid of high elf and have th more 2nd ed cyber punk looking pro elf. After the rosters were designed people used them but also the news groups were up in arms about losing undead and high elf.

So all of them ended up staying as official rosters.

FYI underworld creeper roster was written at the same time but didn't officialdom until 2 editions later.

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2016 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
Hullo Folks!
"Pro" Elves, on other BB forums is that it was originally designed to replace High Elves, but because of a community upraor they just added a 4th team. Since in Warhammer world, there are only HE's, DE's and WE's I find it funny to have a 4th option.

There wasn't any uproar, this was before uproar. Generally back then there weren't many channels to feed back. Also very little experience to feedback.

It was more of a second thought......removing them 'might' cause resentment. Maybe what you read was written by me........I don't know.

Pro Elves and the rosters of the time were a move to bring back the feel of what BB was. And remove it from being handcuffed with Warhammer, which very few believe was a good idea. I think JJ was never a fan of marrying Warhammer and BB but was pushed into doing it from the design staff that took direction from elsewhere.
 Jump to: