45 coaches online • Server time: 18:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think?
Good Idea
70%
 70%  [ 19 ]
Bad Idea
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 27

SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2005 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Please dont vote on the basis of you like the Vault ruleset or not, its a poll to see if people think it would be a good way to raise interest in DivX, and if you like, feedback would be appreciated!

coming from another thread.... someone suggested using the PBEM Tool to create DivX into a Vault playtesting area, with amended rosters, skills, and a functional handicap methid, as well as no ageing
. It means using a separate client, and also means that games are a bit slower, but with the amount of time fumbblers spend online thats hardly an issue!

With the amount of players at FUMBBL's disposal and the amount of potential teams a lot of playtesting could be done, but Id guess you would need to do the challenge system used in the MBBL

If you feel the Vault is broken, play it, show its broken to the playtesters!
If you feel Chaos are nerfed, play them and see!

Just an idea, nothing more and nothing less, something to chew on!

Before anyone says its boring, its not, Ive started playing PBEM, and to be honest, its a lot more forgiving than the JavaBB client (no more misclikcs!) and the BB is just as exciting, and you can message your opponent ingame (and Ive found opponents to be more engaging once you are emailing)

Last edited by SnakeSanders on %b %02, %2005 - %12:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2005 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

arg.... only 2 poll options showed!
Grishnakk

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2005 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Somehow pbem always has scared me
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2005 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

PBeM is used quite often by the guys in my TableTop league. As far as I can see it has some merits when a TT match can't be scheduled, but otherwise I don't really like the client.

To be honest I don't think it's a good idea to play with the e-mail client within the Fumbbl crowd. Why you ask? Just ask the TBB crowd Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2005 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the PBEM client. Very customizable. It's unfortunate that there really isn't an easy way to make a client that customizable and also have it fully automated. Anyway, the point of my post would be to point out that you might have overlooked how results would be uploaded to fumbbl thru the PBEM tool. Unless you can get Galak to code a way for the PBEM tool to output the game results xml file poor Christer would have to update the games by hand. But Galak might be willing to add this feature as I think he is keen on getting a fumbbl vault league. Just food for thought. I know jbb can read PBEM html files (at least the one created by the PBEM roster tool). I dunno if PBEM supports the fumbbl rosters. There are slight differences in the html.

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
Curro

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2005 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

If that could be implemented I´d play it. I´d love to give the vault a try and don´t have much time at work to play a complete match, so the PBEM looks fine for me this days.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2005 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Simply to play Devil's Advocate to Ski's post, anything done to accomodate vault rules is going to involve a substantial amount of coding. Putting a switch to write a different roster for divX teams and parse a different style of match report (assuming the PBEM match results contain at least the minimum necessary data to make a valid match entry in FUMBBL) seems like a relatively minor addition to the real heavy lifting that needs to be done. Testing it would be a pain, admittedly.

As far as the idea overall, I think that PBEM might lose a lot of the flavor of FUMBBL. For better or worse, FUMBBL + JBB is pretty analogous to sitting down with someone at a table and setting aside a block of time to play a game. The slower pace of PBEM seems a little contradictory. My opinion on the matter should be taken with a grain of salt, however, as I haven't played PBEM (for JBB for quite a while, but that's another story).

So, why haven't I tried PBEM, you ask? Because it's developed in a Windows-only environment. Sure, I could run XP in emulation with an excruciatingly huge performance hit or dust off the archaic laptop I have kicking around, but I just won't do that for entertainment. I have VPC (which is not a cheap program, either) only to deal with a handful of files and applications that I have no other way of getting to. Given a choice in the matter, I'm just not going to boot into Windows, which means no gaming.

By trying to switch over, you have to acknowledge that you are excluding a small but growing percentage of Linux and Mac users from playing in a division based upon their choice of platform. Whether you think it's a significant percentage or not, you have to admit that, idealogically, it's not an ideal solution and that doing all the work to switch over to an alternate client means that no work will get done on a more platform-agnostic solution (for a while, at least).

Better than nothing? That's not for me to say, but you have to examine all the ramifications of trying to switch over as well before you decide.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2005 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmmm

seems like its a lot of work! I hope Im not stepping on Christer's toes by bringing this topic up Wink I never realised PBEM was a Windows only program either.

I think that the MBBL can hold as many teams as is possible and games are no problem either, so if folks are wanting to play vault, there is a league going on in the MBBL. A few FUMBBL'ers have talked to me about it and some have made their way over to try the vault out. At the end of the day, the vault will be official rules at some stage, and personally Im going to play them to see what works and what doesnt, and hopefully make a better game in the end Smile

rob
 Jump to: