37 coaches online • Server time: 13:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2003 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

From the Code of Conduct:

Quote:
Coaches are expected to play reasonably balanced games. Play against lower rated teams is allowed, but should not be abused. It is understood that sometimes teams need a recovery game against a lower ranked team after a particuarly boody game, but excessive play against lower ranked teams creates an unfair advantage and will not be tolerated.

Some might argue that playing against a similar team rating goblin or halfing team is exactly that - giving an unfair advantage.

You cannot both say that a team is just a 'joke' team and then say that you can't play games where one side is obviously going to win.
Rolling Eyes
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2003 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

add the master chef and they'll have the help they need, or deserve. something along those lines anyway.

giving them ag 4 would break 'em so badly it wouldn't be funny.

You don't play 'flings to win.
You don't play 'flings for mayhem.
You play 'flings to rub it into other coaches' faces if they happen to lose or tie with you due to some miracle play.

And let us not forget the little happy "didn't get through my armour" dance. although this doesn't work as wel in this electronic format :-p

As to the playing against lower rated teams...
that is why we have the str formula, even if it is faulty as some claim. Stunties get a good break. kinda.

(edit: dinna see the last post)
azathoth_13

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2003 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The silly side IS the fact that they suck so bad. The fun comes in accepting the fact that they will die in droves, giving them funny names and taking crazy risks. Halflings CAN be competitive, but you've got to work it hardcore. I'm a pretty terrible Halfling coach right now, but they are (and will be) my team of choice; they're too much fun! Just the THOUGHT of a treeman throwing a screaming halfling makes me giggle.

Also, in the October rules review, they are considering a few revisions that might help. It won't help for Fumbbl.com, but the halflings may get the chef for FREE, and you can pay more money for bigger effects. Also, the Treeman's 'Take Root' trait may become an on-pitch roll, like Bone Head; on a 1 they can't do much of anything.

And lastly (this is too long anyway), NOT being able to use chef's hurts halflings more then most teams not being able to use wizards. You NEED to steal those re-rolls to have a chance (which is why the possible rules change for chef's). I'm not demanding (like some threads) chef's be implemented, but you've got to remember that if you play the game in real life, chef's are there to help.

So are the balanced? no. Do they suck? yeah. Are the FUN? HELL YEAH!
HunterX

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2003 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

My flings are AMAZING in stunty! They fly through the air with the greatest of ease.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2003 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

As a halfling coach of numerous games on fumbbl i can say that to change the halflings in any way to make them better is a plan bad idea. At the moment i can hide behind the fact that i play halflings so no-one can tell what a crap coach i really am Laughing

Seriously though if you don't think they are balanced then don't play them, if you like a challange and to have fun in every game you play then do.

the only thing i would like to add though is that it would be nice to get more money from the game, as it is very hard to keep a halfling teams' fan factor up when you hit the tr 200 mark, it wouldn't 'unbalance' them as it would only mean it was easier to replace all those lost flings. You could call it extra money from catering Very Happy
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2003 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

HunterX wrote:
My flings are AMAZING in stunty! They fly through the air with the greatest of ease.

Real flings (and gobbos of course) compete in OPEN or DIVX.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2003 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Real flings (and gobbos of course) compete in OPEN or DIVX

Heh, I'm sure you're right Chickenbrain. I just haven't had the nerve. Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2003 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:

You cannot both say that a team is just a 'joke' team and then say that you can't play games where one side is obviously going to win.
Rolling Eyes

Halflings are never gauranteed a loss, they are just designed to have play a lot better or be a lot luckier to get their wins. We hardly designed the teams, if you want to complain about that, go talk to JJ.

The Finishing Touch
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to play Halflings seriously, then play in the Stunty League...

If you want to play them as a bit of comic relief, then play them in Open Division...

People, the choice is yours!
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

nah, it's the other way around...

really.
IvanTheCow

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2003 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

you want to play them for a bit of comic relief you play them in Div X agaisnt khemri, Necromantic, or the funniest is a nurgles rotters team and have one of them be infected. also funny would be to play them against vampire and ogre cause they dont get as many successful actions so your little guys can stay alive.
 Jump to: