54 coaches online • Server time: 23:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post 18 Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm getting sick of the same old "Red" vs "Blue" icons...

Is it possible to have each team during the creation stage select say a major and a minor colour and then have their respective icons be that way during games...

I have no idea when it comes to doing this manually, so I need one of the esteemed and learned creators of this fantastic site to do it for me!
tarzom

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

All the icons are actually downloaded on your pc.

You can change the colours and even the icons yourself.

You will need some sort of picture tool such as paint or photoshop - doesn't have to be an expensive one.

Open the bbowl folder then open pics and icons.
Here are all the icons, if you open them in with your picture tool you can alter them and save them back into the same folder. This would be a serious undertaking if you wanted to change them all - but might be fun for your favourite team?

I modified a couple of wight icons only last week so I could have 4 different wights on my undead and necro teams - and now they've reduced them to two wights only- the buggers.
Jezlad

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Does changing the teams colours affect the way your opponent views your team? It seems pretty pointless if it doesn't. I think having the option to change your teams colours at the start of creatino would be an excellent idea. Maybe SkiJunkie might get hold of this one...
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

At the moment, implementing the rules review has priority. I think?

This falls strictly into the "nice idea" category. Every icon would have to be fixed, so that what is now red or blue is instead a blank that can be assigned by JBB. I don't even know if this is possible.

Note that you can already change your team colors, just not the icons (it looks pretty good at times, imo). Also note that it would be pretty extensive to implement "color preference" code into the client, so that an opponent see what you want him to see. I could foresee people picking deliberately ugly or unwatchable colors to throw off an opponent. Smile Having two colors would be next to impossible, with the icons being so small.

If it were codeable, and there are enough people to do the redrawing (I doubt he has time to do it himself), I'm sure Ski would at least consider it.
Lazerus101

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

shouldnt bee that hard. You just swap the colour for an alpha channel. The client then assigns the correct colour to the alpha channel to the icon.
UrienRakarth

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

what about a Beautiful Purple? Very Happy
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Lazerus101 wrote:
shouldnt bee that hard. You just swap the colour for an alpha channel. The client then assigns the correct colour to the alpha channel to the icon.

but if you made it transparent and put a color behind it, you'd end up with an icon with the correct color of shoulder pad/helmet/whatever, but also on a big block of that color. Gif's only support 1 level of transparency.

You'd either have to make a second image for each icon (a mask image, to determine which pixels the background color shows through on or doesn't display at all) or make the accent color something that would never ever be used in the icons themselves (something like bright magenta) and have the client swap out any occurrence of that color with your designated background color.

Either way, a neat idea, but very low priority.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh. Imagine two wood elf teams, both going with the likely green. Is that my player or yours? Even if two color sets were allowed, you'd still have many people with much the same colors, making it hard to tell who was who...
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you just have to have "home" and "away" colors. The FUMBBL site would then only let you choose colors darker than 60% for home and lighter than 40% for away (or whatever). Then even if the hue is close, the darker team is still the host (or your own players, depending upon how it would hypothetically get implemented) and the lighter team is the client/other guy. Problem solved.

And no, I'm still not advocating that people spend their time on this. Just arguing for its own sake.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the feedback / comments guys...

I realise with the rules update etc it's a low priority, but I am happy my idea is "on the list" (even if it is #100 on the agenda)

But psikobunny, do you think people will seriously choose bizarre colours to "put off" the opposition... man, are you seriously paranoid Smile
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

What I think would be cool, and probably easier to do would be to allow you to specify icons in the roster in the same way that you specify player portraits. This would probably only need a minor program change and it would allow anyone to do whatever sort of creative thing they like with colors or custom icons.

The Finishing Touch
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

tired of the same old orc icons... use mine Smile

http://www.geocities.com/dgbunnypuncher

Just click the link at the top o da page Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure this is a cool idea. But the most important thing is getting the software complete (rules wise) and reliable before adding cosmetic touches
Deng_Ham

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2007 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Knowing that this is a slight off topic. I figured that it was better to include it in an already existing thead, rather than making a new one.

I have tryed to edit the icons for my team. Changing the color of ther shoulder pads and trousers. I only did it on the gif's on my computer. But after compleeting it. They all had black squares, and not transparant. So my question is: How do I make it transparant? (I used ACD Editor 3.1)
Or what probram shoud I download in order to make them transparant.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2007 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Save as GIF, and leave the dead threads alone... Wink

Jump to: