32 coaches online • Server time: 09:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Neal_Smith

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all

Am I missing something here.

I have played 24 games so far, and had 10 different players killed.

Is it me or is that an extraordinarily large number?

I'm not including the 33 hurts and badly injured.

If it's just an amazing run of bad luck,so be it, it'll change but I'm starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong, but it's impossible to have teams get better when they half the time you are rolling out 2 - 4 journeymen.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

2 points:

1. You can get runs of higher than average damage. It hasn't been enough games yet to provide evidence of any sort of curse. And games with 5 deaths on one team aren't that unusual. So 10 in 24 games really isn't a huge number.

2. As you get better at the game, you'll learn to limit blocks more effectively. In the meantime, you could look at joining the 145 Club. Their Rookie League is a good place to at least exact similar damage on other newer coaches.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone loses games they should not lose and takes crazy CAS every so often. You are not alone in the latter.

All we can do is play the game as well as possible and minimise the bad stuff. You seem quite new, I recommend getting as much practice under your belt as possible and watching some replays. I know I've come a long way since my first 24 games, no doubt you will too.
liquidorange

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Without sounding too pessimistic, you might also bear in mind that this is the home of the best Bloodbowl players in the world. You've already played at least two of them, and it's certain that you'll cut your teeth on several others before all is said and done. The good part is that they will teach you, like Purplegoo said, to play the game better and learn to minimize the amount of luck that factors in.

Having said that, welcome to FUMBBL! It's by far the best online community I know of, and it's free. Best of luck to you and your teams from here on out!
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, just going back your last 10 games you are being out-blocked 508-222. Shocked
That's a HUGE disparity, to say the least, as it equals being out-blocked by an average of 29 blocks per game.
So I'd suggest starting w/ learning how to limit the blocks you give to your opponent & this should help quite a bit. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks!

I've found that there are some more powerful than expect teams in the 145. I remember a certain Orc teams whose players had played in 22 games and had a lot of skills!!

I feel a it better. I was aware that most of the time i have a lot of players on the ground, but then I get surrounded and can't fight my way out!

At least it's not def a curse yet!

Wink
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Neal_Smith wrote:
Thanks!
I was aware that most of the time i have a lot of players on the ground, but then I get surrounded and can't fight my way out!

Proper positioning & the guard skill should help w/ your issues. Wink
Try watching some replays of the better coaches w/ teams that you are currently trying to learn to play.
Should help loads Exclamation

Last edited by Nightbird on %b %26, %2014 - %23:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Neal_Smith

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Positioning I can do.

It's hard to get a lot of skill when you score nothing and get no casualties lol
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

If your team is young then try to play vs the other young teams first.

But it is an open league so it pays to make a fast start.

Also, you have four teams but no apoths.

Don't let your teams get into toe to toe slugfests with teams that are tougher and bashier than them. Agile and/or dodge players can dodge away from trouble when necessary.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome back, Neal.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Different person. I'm not Neal, I'm Neal's Australian cousin!
albinv

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Plays of this pattern can also help to improve your coaching ability:

(Where "X" is you and "O" represents your valued opponent. Players (X) with an arrow put tactics into action, crucial to win a match, brief description included.)

XXX `?ยด
XO <-X (action committed: "Oh whee...think i'll select foul action!")
XXX

It is indeed the place of some of the best bb coaches there are - but there is some variety also, there are quite miserable ones out there to...
...if all fails consider playing (coaches like) me more often for instance!
This is only what i can provide to help out.

There are good hints here so far, take em to heart and try to keep focussed on them as much as just simply enjoying the game.

Last edited by albinv on %b %27, %2014 - %21:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Neal, welcome to FUMBBL! Smile

An article here on FUMBBL that I find incredibly useful: https://fumbbl.com/help:The+Taoch!+of+Blood+Bowl%3A+A+Condensed+Guide+for+Newbies

And there's more in the site's strategy section.

Cheers!

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

He is getting slightly above average number of kills inflicted though, the expected value is only 7.

But in general, if you don't want stuff to die, particularly with the teams you are running which are more agility teams than bash teams you should try not to give your opponent too many "free" blocks by putting your players in a position where your opponent can hit them. Try playing defense by keeping a square free between your player and your opponents players and zoning him out that way, so that he only gets to use the one blitz a turn, then on your turns work to try and push off the players who have come into contact with you and don't necessarily follow up unless it's advantageous. On offense you want to open a gap and protect the ball carrier by putting other players around him, and then slowly push through that gap by running the guys from the back to assist the guys at the front, then moving the ball up a little at a time, trying not to expose the ball.

Easier said than done.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

this team suffered 10 RIPs in its first 20 games, and I'm pretty sure I outblocked my opponents more often than not. (I didn't go through all my teams either, I just happened to be discussing these elsewhere and noticed that line in their bio).

So don't lose hope. My guys got only 1 RIP in the next 10 games. Maybe your luck will turn.

Meanwhile

liquidorange wrote:
welcome to FUMBBL! It's by far the best online community I know of

THIS!
 Jump to: