35 coaches online • Server time: 15:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Barre

Post 22 Posted: Sep 10, 2003 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,
I guess this post comes in the form of a question as well as a suggestion. After playing with the group/tournaments section I have not been unable to determine if this is possible.
Is it possible to specify the amount of preliminary rounds in a round robin format. I.e. at the moment it works as, all teams play all opponents once, can you change it so that all teams play every opponent team a specified amount of times.
This is more helpful for the smaller leagues which would like to draw out the prelims a bit more.

Just an idea.
Twahn

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2003 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

An excellent idea methinks and, surely, an easily implemented one? Very Happy

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2003 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, it's not at all easy. Thing is, calculating a proper round robin schedule is very very processor intensive. To give you an idea, it takes well over an hour on a 2ghz computer. To make the system work, we calculated the most perfect schedule for each number of players, and then store that, randomly assgning players to the schedule for each tourney. I imagine creating schedules involving teams playing each other more than once would significantly increase the time taken to calculate the schedules, and I'm not certain if it is something that would even be used enough to justify the significant extra time it would take to make work.

The Finishing Touch
Barre

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2003 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

What you are saying does not make sense to me, since I don't see any reason why once the first "cycle" has been generate then it would be a simple matter of duplicating the schedule. Am I mistaken?

If you wanted the schedule to be fairer, at the completion of a "cycle" then regenerate the schedule as done when the tournament is generated.

Make sense?

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2003 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If I understand what you are saying, that would be the same as running two round robin tourneys back to back, correct? You could do this now with the current tourney code, you would just need to paste over the scores in between rounds (and might not have to do that, I'd have to check)

The Finishing Touch
tgrozow

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2003 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know what algorithm you are using to generate the round robin, but there is one very simple and very quick that I found on the net and I am using it in my league manager softwatre. I'll see if I can find the link to it and paste it here, or just take what I wrote and make it more general. The site had a really good illustration of how to generate a round robin and I worked off that. It takes it seconds to generate a round robin using just numbers, and using team id should not increase the processing time by too much.
tgrozow

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2003 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

here is the website with the illustration
http://www.devenezia.com/downloads/round-robin/
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2003 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is that this does not generate a "proper" schedule. You'd have to talk to Christer to see why that is, he was the one working on the algorithm to begin with, but it has something to do with making sure one coach is not playing opponents right after the same coach. ie, you don't want coach 1 playing coach 2, then coach 3 playing coach 2, then coach 1 playing coach 5, then coach 3 playing coach 5 for example.

The Finishing Touch
EgorKDie

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2003 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Similar topic... different question.

In setting up the tournament... the points for win/draw/loss are self explanatory... but can anyone explain what the CAS and TD sections do? I assume they are for giving points for TD/CAS but I'm unsure of their working practices...

Thanks in advance.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2003 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Just like you said. If you put a number in the box, that number will be applied to the score for each of the relevent items. Positive and negative numbers work.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: