28 coaches online • Server time: 12:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oeuftete

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

(Since my last idea actually got semi-implemented, I'll press my luck...)

When people retire teams in the middle of a round-robin tournament (or any other league, non-knockout setup), it annoys me like nothing else around here. It's absolutely indefensible*, IMO, and those coaches who do so are the scum of FUMBBL. It's completely selfish, as it ruins whatever integrity the tournament schedule may have had -- some opponents get forfeit wins, while others have played their matches against the same team (maybe getting hurt, maybe getting lots of SPP... who knows.) And it's probably discouraging to any tournament organizer. Totally gutless. OK.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea for tournament organizers to be able to specify (before a tournament begins) that there will be penalties for prematurely quitting? An idea off the top of my head (not a good one, really) would be that a coach retiring a league team midstream would have a random open or divX team retired. Maybe they're banned from creating teams for 30/60/90 days. Just examples!!

Any penalty would have to be configured up front by the tournament organizer, and be supported by the FUMBBL admins (and the code some of them write). So I'm not that hopeful... but maybe someone has a fair, easy-to-implement idea to punish these jerks.

*Except maybe when the team's absolutely decimated... like TR <70.
cusi

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

burn them at the stake!

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

cusi wrote:
burn them at the stake!

Hehe... well, yeah, I'm getting a bit righteous about this. But public tournaments could be a whole lot better than they are now... everyone's so keen to sign up, but then don't want to make the effort to schedule with their opponent, or just decide they don't like their team after one game of bad rolls. It just sort of ruins it for everyone.
IvanTheCow

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Burning at the stakes seems like too much punishment. just a simple tar and feathering should be in order. or perhaps a swift kick in the balls. they should be severly punished though.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Submit a news item about it. Be civil, but make it clear the person didn't follow through on their promise to play. Make sure they know in advance that you are going to take that action, and give them a chance to defend it. Losing a job, loved one, or internet access are acceptable excuse called "real life" Whether you've had any experience with it, I can't say, but this is a game and should not be treated as a job.
patton_71

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

no so sure about the public censure thing psiko suggested, howeever...

But certainly I am all for the organizer of a tourney/league to set some reasonable penalties for a quitter. Perhaps admin could set up, say, levels of standard penalites for quitters...level one being banned from fumbbl, to say level three as having the offending coaches account blocked for 2 weeks or so, and level 2 is somewhere in between. That way you have a standard penalty set from the outset that all understand.

But caution must be used for the real life issues mentioned previously. Even less serious occurances of computer crash, virus, or whatever should be accounted for.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Public knowledge of the person's behavior is probably the best solution. Then it is up to the people that coach plays whether they want to consider him. Blocking, banning, or deleting teams is more overhead for admins, when in reality it is the problem for a coach or tournament to deal with based on their own morals. Just like fouling, stalling etc, this sort of behavior is more or less objectionable to some than others. Caveat tutor, let the coach beware.

Part of the problem is not the coaches, but the tournament organizers who take the first batch of people who sign up, instead of trying to screen their applicants a bit first. Finding via PM out how experienced the people are, how committed, etc should be dealt with before a team is accepted, not as a penalty farther down the road.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

psikobunny wrote:
Submit a news item about it..
Such a news post would not be approved, as that is far from an apropriate place for this sort of thing.

The Finishing Touch
cataphract

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

this all seems a bit harsh... banning someone for leaving a tournament? we don't even have penalties for people leaving mid-game... to be honest if you aren't enjoying playing in a league or tournamentwhy shouldn't you drop out?... being forced to play more games with a team that got massacred in the first round is no fun at all particularly if the season is 9 or 10 rounds long!

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

We would not be banning anyone, nor enforcing any other sanctions. Along with the ability to run your own leagues comes the responsibility to manage them. The site admins will not be taking on this responsibility for anyone.

The Finishing Touch
patton_71

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

cataphract wrote:
this all seems a bit harsh... banning someone for leaving a tournament? we don't even have penalties for people leaving mid-game... to be honest if you aren't enjoying playing in a league or tournamentwhy shouldn't you drop out?... being forced to play more games with a team that got massacred in the first round is no fun at all particularly if the season is 9 or 10 rounds long!
Thats exactly the point...

As often as I have had opponents drop on me, the whole tourney drop thing is exponentially worse. As one coach quits, it effects the whole league in a domino effect of conceded games, unearned SPP, etc. Whereas a one off game drop only affects one other person. I believe that a person of any character should try to continue to compete for the sake of the others that have also sommitted time to the league. One of my biggest annoyances with other forms of online games (Diablo, UT, et al.) is that there are players who revel in the sick pleasure of ruining others' good times. On Fummbl, this is at least mitigated a bit by seeing what you are up against before you agree to the game. This sort of low behavior needs to be handled in the approptiate way: by the 'Commisioner' of the league, with the approval of admin.

Also, comebacks from the brink of disaster have happened. In my last real life league, we had a skaven team come back from near utter ruin to reach the tournament semifinal.

So my opinion is to stick it out and be a trooper, or quit and face the consiquences you deserve for ruining everyone else's time.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

cataphract wrote:
we don't even have penalties for people leaving mid-game...

We most certainly do. I have blocked coaches and retired teams for abandoning games mid match, depending on the circumstances. Always bring these cases to an admin.

The Finishing Touch
Jugular

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

As an Idea how about some kind of blacklisting attribute to each persons account or the opposite of course. Kinda like the ebay system of feedback on each player. Obviously some amount of implementation is involved. This way if some dropped out of a tourney someone could add a black mark and give a reason as to why it was given. This would help tourney organisers screen their entrants. Just an idea i imagine it wont happen Smile
oeuftete

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Jugular wrote:
As an Idea how about some kind of blacklisting attribute to each persons account or the opposite of course. Kinda like the ebay system of feedback on each player. Obviously some amount of implementation is involved. This way if some dropped out of a tourney someone could add a black mark and give a reason as to why it was given. This would help tourney organisers screen their entrants. Just an idea i imagine it wont happen Smile

As much I really want to see something done, I don't want to see this. The determination of the penalty would have to be purely objective. I think the idea of a feedback system has been done to death in other threads... it wouldn't be productive around here.
IvanTheCow

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2003 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

How about one tournament director starts a thread of people that have quit his tournamnents and other directors just add on to that so when your making your tournament you can go through the thread and see who is unsportsmanlike. No additional work for admins(Cept the forum moderator) and it would be helpful to all.
 Jump to: