23 coaches online • Server time: 06:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you join a NCAA-themed League?
Yes, yes I would.
42%
 42%  [ 190 ]
No, I doubt it.
11%
 11%  [ 50 ]
I don't know what the NCAA is.
26%
 26%  [ 118 ]
I don't join leagues.
2%
 2%  [ 13 ]
I dropped the soap.
4%
 4%  [ 21 ]
Pie!
11%
 11%  [ 49 ]
Other?
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 445

ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 04:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Another league on this site is the NBFL, which bases itself off the american National Football League, or NFL.

Obviously this is not the only football in america. The NCAA governs all that is college football, which is very popular in the states. Though similar to the NFL, it is different in many ways.

Offense usualy does better in college since most teams are converting to a "spread" type offense, and most teams are fairly un-even. There are hundreds, even thousands of schools that play, and monumental up-sets, like the classic Boise State v Oklahoma game in the Fiesta Bowl, are hard to come by. Programs like Florida, Ohio State, Texas, USC, LSU, etc., will usualy always be on top. Schools like Mississipi, Arizona, and Iowa State will usualy not be very good.

Anyways.

I was thinking about starting a NCAA-themed league. I was thinking of things to keep, like Bowl Games.

For example, if there were eight teams, teams would finish 1-8 like normal. Rather than having a top 4 team playoffs, like many leagues, all 8 teams would have bowl games. Teams 1n2, 3n4, 5n6, 7n8 would face off in pre-named/sponsored bowl games. This means teams don't get extra games and extra spps than others. It also keeps everyone involved and gives the "beat-up" or "down" teams something to keep playing for, rather than just trying to get to the end.

Could also keep the standard USA Today Coaches poll, though would alter the name. This way the coaches could have input on who they thought should be #1, #2, etc. Of course, the BCS computerized standings would still be around, though a different formula would be needed. So for BB, it might be TD diff + Cas diff + Record diff, or something to that effect.

Teams could be named after their favorite college, such as the Florida Gators, or they could change it to add some BB fluff, such as the Georgia BullCentaurs or the Texas VeryLongLegs.

<b>So, first off, is anyone out there interested in an NCAA-themed league?</b>

Obviously, if you don't live in the USA, your knowledge might suffer and thus this league may not be for you.

<b>Second, if you are interested, do you have any suggestions for rules, games, and especially a group name?</b>

<u>Respond accordingly.</u>

Don't drop the soap.

Last edited by ex-convict on Nov 17, 2022 - 19:50; edited 26 times in total
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well one day after I made the thread and no replies yet...not a good sign.

Surely some of you out there went to college! Step up and represent!

Don't drop the soap.
pml97

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 04:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd definitely be interested depending on the format.

Vince Lombardi
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it sounds fun. I think your BCS format is stellar, because it will allow teams that tend to score low, but hit hard to still come up against the elves. Rules i can't help ya with, cause i suck like that. Games would require you to have at least 2 divisions, east and west to start, if it ever takes off and you get tons of teams, you can start doing the Big Tens and WACs and what not. If you do bowls, for hte love of pete DON"T do a rotating title game. Keep some honour in the game, and keep your Rose Bowl PAC-10 vs Big-10, etc etc. I'm not going to think harder unless you can find more people, if you do, I reserve University of Wyoming, probably playing with chaos Very Happy.

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 04:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Alrighty well if Dragon is taking Wyoming which was my first choice.... I'll grab Michigan!

Vince Lombardi
Burticus

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I would definitely be interested. I'll snag the U... UM Hurricanes!
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 05:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool idea. I don't ususally join leagues, but this one catches my interest. If it gets going, I think you can count me in. I call the Gators!

That means you.
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not that familiar with NCAA sports, as I don't live in US. Tried to look for information, but the whole NCAA system isn't that simple. So I will be in, if I can use Permian Panthers. I tried to look if I can found the team in NCAA homepage, but couldn't find it. I couldn't find even a simple list of all the schools and teams that are in NCAA program.

So, if I can take MOJO, I'll be in. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW, that is a high shchool team. Odessa Permian is a school in west texas, which btw will be facing my old high school, Euless Trinity, on September 15th on Fox Sports Network. Last year, Trinity won by a fairly big margain, but the game was played in DFW. Now Trinity has to go out to west texas, nearly a 6 hour trip. I still plan on going. Smile

If you want a list of NCAA teams, try going to www.espn.com and clicking on the link for College Football. I'll look for a link later.

Don't drop the soap.
Russo

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I dont live in the US so I wont be applying as I have no idea..in fact what does NCAA stand for:

Never Crap After Alligators
Noobs Complain About Applepickers
Nobody Cuddles American Aunties
Nobody Can Accept Arseholes
Never Catch Angry Anteaters

Question

Laughing

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Boo! I want Permian Panthers!

NCAA= Never Care About Applepickers

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

ex-convict wrote:
I was thinking about starting a NCAA-themed league. I was thinking of things to keep, like Bowl Games.

Why would you keep anything of the structure of NCAA Football? It has to be far and away the most poorly designed league structure there is.
pml97

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Bowl matches based upon how much revenue a team can bring being more important than how good they are is wrong? Man you've got your priorities mixed up Smile

Its the theme!!! Enough said Razz

Vince Lombardi
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be interested.

Penn State - is my team.

ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Found it:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams

Focus on the teams on the left. They are the "big time" schools, for the most part. Of course, feel free to represent the ones on the right, and others that are not on there (as long as they actualy exist!)

As for making two conferences/divisions, I'll probably just divide the conferences into two groups, then let the coaches name their group.

Group 1: Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Indep, MAC, C-USA
Group 2: Pac-10, Big 12, Big East, Sun Belt, WAC, Mountain West

Each group would have 6 conferences to draw its teams from. Thus I hope that we can get an even number in each.

Also, any school not in those conferences will be added to either conference depending on need.

Don't drop the soap.
 Jump to: