24 coaches online • Server time: 03:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2012 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

nah, gotta say I'm with Craftnburn on this one; as much as I do disagree with some of his design decisions, and some of the way he expresses his opinions, I believe PsyPhiGrad is the offensive one here. It's one thing to say you disagree vehemently; it's quite another thing to disagree vehemently using confrontational and insulting language.
PsyPhiGrad

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2012 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Now in an attempt to be much more constructive. There already have been tons of complaints about how poorly design and poorly performing the Horrors roster is. So, I'll be brief about my biggest beefs:
1. It's a horribly overdescribed roster.
2. It's clunkily trying to import WHFB monsters with existing BB skills (Bombs & Safe Throw WTF?)
3. It's wedded to a design ideas that the admins/the client rejects.
4. I don't think it does a good job differentiating itself from the Nurglings and the Gnome rosters.
5. It's an incredibly poorly performing roster.

For these reasons, I think the whole thing should be scrapped and started over from scratch. I don't want to debate these points. They are my opinions. Your mileage may vary. With that in mind, here are a few thoughts that I believe could lead to a new and improved Horrors of Tzeentch roster.

I liked CnB's description:
These shambling daemons consist of innumerable variations of shape, size, and color. These creatures may be small, but their resilience should not be underestimated.

This should be the focus of the team.

With that in mind (and other previously discussed caveats about random mutations being nixed), I propose we should focus on the horrifying shambling and varyin nature of the Horrors.

Horrors are supposed to be horrible to look at, as they are daemonic entities (not little mini demons like nurglings), so I propose that they all get Foul Appearance to represent their scary daemonic nature but they are shambling monsters so NO DODGE and NO AGILITY skills. But they are chaotic and variable, so MUTATION Only skill Access which ought to make them more different from the nurglings and hopefully encourage coaches to make each one unique as befitting the Changer of Ways. "Their resillience should not be underestimated" therefore Not Stunty. Instead of an overdescribed lineman type we have a simple elegant and unique baseline player that follows the addition by substraction design technique.

Horrors become something like:
0-16 M 4/5 S2 A3 Av7 Foul Appearnace M 30K/40K
Instead of an overdescribed expensive lineman we get a cheap and different "stunty" player. I'm a bit concerned about how frail the player might be but without Stunty making them less resilient and FA giving them a pseudo dodge from attacks, I hope they might just work.

Now for positionals, I think we should play up the other part of Tzeentch: Fate by creating a positional known as the Chosen of Tzeentch which is basically just a more fearsome or more lucky version of the Horrors. We could go lots of ways here:

0-4? Chosen of Tzeentch
1. Give them Pro (to represent Tzeentch's Blessing)
2. Give them Strength Access to represent more fearsome mutations and power.
3. Give them a "monstrous skill" like Juggernaut, Stand Firm or Grab.
4. A combination of the above or some cool suggestions from the community.

Other positionals:
We could open up a passing game that can represent Tzeentch messing with the Winds of Change and Warping the ball around by giving them some:
"Warp" Horrors which could have access to some Passing Skills but I'm a little iffy on that idea as it seems like just as much a stretch as trying to represent flames with Bombs and Safe Throw afterall I'm trying to go with the shambling mounds feel, but I still have flickering images of the old Pink and Blue Horrors where this might be more fitting.

Speaking of the Warp. The roster doesn't have regeneration but instead relies on Tzeentch bring his injured back from the Warp just like an apothecary.

Big Guys
I'd like to see something a little different here based off of the Chaos Spawn concept. It could easily go the Ball & Chain route but I'd rather imagine a tentacly-ish (without the skill) kind of spawn lashing out in every direction which could be represented by a Big Guy starting out with Multiple Block rather than Mighty Blow.

If you want to be even more different we could limit them to one Big Guy and give them some Tzeentchian Magic every game with a "rostered" wizard with some custom coding that I'd like to hope wouldn't be too difficult to implement. I'd probably cost it more than the usual at something like 200K.

There you have it: my take on making a new and improved Horrors roster which I believe is much more thematic and doesn't rely on overdescribed clunky WHFB ports (we can add them as Star Players if we must).

Lots of room for feedback as I really just provided a shell of a roster that could use some tweaking by those who are capable of designing non-buggy and balanced roster.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2012 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

i don't think the stunty bit is negotiable. If you want to make them more resistent give them regen or thick skull.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2012 - 12:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The reworking is probably needed overall. Having lots of little horrors running around as the focus makes sense.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2012 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Just chiming in to say I still like the teleporting ttm stuff.

SL
Olesh

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2012 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate the effort you have put in here, however, I must point you to the stickied post regarding the roster design rules. Go there, read shadow's rules on the subject, and come back. Tell me what you did wrong (because you did), and not only will I consider your design, I'll even help you balance it!
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2012 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Although PPG offers an interesting alternate vision for a Horrors team, I've always thought the original team presented a unique fluff-appropriate play-style. The MA4 Jump up, TTM linos works quite well. I think the whole roster works well except the Firewyrm, which I'm not a fan of. As for the teams win percentage... who cares? If the team is fun to play and people enjoy playing it, just consider it one of the more challenging teams.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2012 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:
I think the whole roster works well except the Firewyrm, which I'm not a fan of.
Thanks, my sentiments exactly.
PsyPhiGrad

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2012 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
The reworking is probably needed overall. Having lots of little horrors running around as the focus makes sense.

My thoughts exactly, thanks for chiming in.

Any suggestions?
Roland

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2013 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

played a few stunty games now and it is really fun! Smile
those horrors rock!

Had some questionable turnovers though due to bombs, but still fun games.

Btw, tackle must be THE skill, right?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2013 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
those horrors rock!

Great to hear.

And yes, Tackle is the probably the single greatest skill in Stunty if you can get it.
Drrek

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2013 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Roland wrote:
those horrors rock!

Great to hear.

And yes, Tackle is the probably the single greatest skill in Stunty if you can get it.

False. The single greatest skill you can get in stunty is TTM
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2013 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Drrek wrote:
False. The single greatest skill you can get in BB is TTM

Fixed.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2013 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Drrek wrote:
WhatBall wrote:
Roland wrote:
those horrors rock!

Great to hear.

False. The single greatest skill you can get in stunty is TTM

That game, huh?

Well then, you are WRONG! Single greatest skill is Always Hungry.
*nomnomnom*
Roland

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2013 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

So, what skills to choose?

Haven't read the whole thread but here's my thoughts:

Horrors:
Extra arms, for better ball handling.
Disturbing prescence, -1 to catch the bombs.
Diving tackle, standard stunty skill choice.
Doubles: Block, tackle, pass?
+AV rather than MA (better when thrown)

Greater horrors:
Block, tackle
Doubles: MB, PO, Pass?

Flamers:
Dodge, DT?, SF?
Doubles: Pass, accurate, strong arm, block (so many to choose)

Firewyrm:
Jump up, due to their AG4 it should be pretty ease to jump up and block.
MB, tentacles, claw.
Doubles: Block, tackle
 Jump to: