28 coaches online • Server time: 17:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Khaan

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The fireball is too reliable. Just point and click. Kaboom at the exact position you want. No drawbacks except cash.

Everything else in BB has an element of failure to it that is directly detrimental to you. Even the 'safest' 3db with a block/tackle lineman with a backup team reroll can fail and cause a turnover. This is why you try to force your opponent into situations where he/she has to start the turn with risky rolls. In the case of the fireball, the worst case scenario is that it will do nothing and you can continue your turn.

If a turnover were to be caused when the fireball is thrown but dodged by every single enemy target then I would have no problem with it. Having the template scatter after you position it could be an alternative idea.

I am not going to gripe about the lightning bolt spell, because this spell can be tactically avoided by a smart coach. Also it does not in any way have the potential to inflict the same amount of pain as the fireball does.

The Boyz
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh someone said the 'b' word again. I think we can safely say most games aren't meant to be balanced, so get over it. Wizards are simply another random element to contend with. There is very little that can 'ruin' the entire game.

a) wizards are a lot of money for a one shot deal
b) most teams have access to them so its not particularly unfair.
c) there are plenty of gamebreaking elements in BB, this is just one more to account for.
HunterX

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll wait to see the new handicapping system. I don't want to see a dog running around my pitch thanks Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, why is it imbalanced? Because some people can actually break that 5 dwarf guard cage, and actually manage to stop a dwarven run? It can slap big guys with bad ag down, so the other players can survive a few more turns?

To be honest, there is a chance of failure. The fireball does require the player to roll over the targets agility. So, if i hit 5 players, with AG2, 1 or 2 of them will dodge out of the way. AG3, half will dodge. AG4, most will dodge. Use it wisely, and in a good position, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Come on, this is an equalizer on all sides. If you know that the fireball or Lightning Bolt hits on a 5 for elves, try and ZAP! them into a frog. Goes on a 4+, and then you can take out that star elven catcher, and hopefully take him out of the game...

It is useful on all sides.

Z
orochinagi

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Fudge... ball carriers normally have above avg agility and thus aren't easy to affect with fireball spells and such.... don't forget that an agility roll is needed. Fireball is surely devastating agains saurus and dorfs since they can only fail on a roll of 1. But for all other teams it's not that easy... i think the ball carrier will do ok... sometimes...
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I really don't see wizards as being anything more than a fun little extra. I doubt you will see them used very often by anyone except myabe goblin coaches just for fun.

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhhhhh, but we're forgetting the best kind of "wizard".......the HALFLING CHEF!
If there is one team that needs every boost/advantage it can gain, it's gotta be halflings.
Lets face it; the game is unbalanced (as well it should be), and halflings are just not terribly good.

So, FINALLY, this gives me the incentive to start yet another Halfling team on FUMBBL, now that they're SLIGHTLY more feasible.

HOORAY!!!
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I just want to say I have a big problem with orochinagi's dancing... thing.
tgrozow

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

i think people are placing a lot more weight on wizards than they actually deserve. Don't forget that the wizard costs 50K, which most of the times can be spent in a better way or saved in order to buy more rerolls or more players. And also, the wizard can be used only once during the game, so I don't think it's going to have such a devastating effect on the game.
I actually like the randomness they add to the game, because blood bowl is a messy game and the more stuff happening, the better.
Bretter

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Fudge It: I see what you mean. I'd be afraid if all I had were bashing teams, too.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL. Thanks for pointing out that massive bias Bretter. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2003 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

In Fudges defense yes he does play bashy teams but atleats he doesnt have any over the top bashy teams. Looking at them they seem to play the ball and not the injury box. Still the wizard is good and it is about the only way to keep those rolling dwarven gaurd boxes of death from dominating a game. Also if he fireballs you why not just fireball him back? Even if they are a higher agi team than yours odds are that it will knock some of him down and those that get knocked down are more likely to be hurt than a team with a bunch of agi 2 guys. This evens it out in the end.
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2003 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizards are just another tactic to take into account when planning your strategy (plus it will help most teams against khemri those 4 PO mummies will get fireballed the instant they form a cage) it allows high ag teams to break a cage get the ball and score basically instantly however it could fail to break the cage in which case the elves are stuffed and zap (while not implemented) would make having one player with 100+ spp quite useless as he will be zapped and hunted for the rest of the half (scary if you are a guy like enjoyment from deathgerbils revenge because you usually do the hunting) so in conclusion a well used wizard can turn the tables on a match however they are not an unbeatable tactic

Oh and Khaan in regards to your statement about fireball being too reliable by not causing a turnover on failure what about Stand Firm players making dodge rolls they dont cause a turnover either

Michael_Warblade
cataphract

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2003 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah... the problem with wizards is the same problem that was there with cards... but at least it requires a dice roll...

remember pit trap? "hmm... you don't score that TD" "why" "oh pit trap... yeah you fell in... shame..."

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2003 - 04:55 Reply with quote Back to top

the trampoline.... let me just hear you say
WOOT!?!