40 coaches online • Server time: 16:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Alexis

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunk, I just watched the replay of your last game.

Your opponent played like a gentleman. He didn't do anything, anything bad.

You're just frustrated because you lost a lineman in Academy, a stupid lineman.

Seriously, that's a good thing that you quit fumbbl, because you are one of the worst sissy I've seen.
Sugden322

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I just watched the replay - Orcs vs Ogres - Dunk was playing Orcs.

The Ogres spent a couple of turns struggling with Bonehead and also failing to pick up the ball. Dunk got some players into the backfield contesting for the ball in a scrum of players - His opponent lucked out with a gobbo catching a bouncing ball then ran clear up and along the opposite flank helped by engineering some good 2D blocks to provide cover. Sure he timewasted for one turn there before scoring but who hasn't had that happen to them?

Going in at the half 1-0 one casualty down and about to receive the kick Dunk just up and quits.

I'm not the best or longest serving coach but that's not the way to learn
kwèk

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunk wrote:

Good bye.

/Dunk

We'll miss you

Good bye

don't forget to call from time to time

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 03:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
Dunk wrote:
Thanks for the comments with constructive critisism. They were appreciated.
The comment about me beeing a big girls blouse has really motivated me to play some more.
No not really.
It showed me I clearly do not belong here.
Pity, I really liked the game itself.
Goodbye

The big girls blouse Dunk

This forum can be a more brutal place than the BB pitch!

Consider yourself BH'd by the awesome power of words!

I think that's more of a RIP than a BH, Cal.
B-Tron

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
What I find most peculiar is that the game before his last game he was clearly cherrypicked (assuming both coaches are equally bad)...

First of all, i was that coach and I am offended by the term 'bad'. I prefer inexperienced. Wink Smile

(and I'm not that inexperienced, just returning from a long lay-off of about 14 years, and enver used the client before - I still get rushed trying to use the computer with no decent mouse. Also, my mates and I never really had much cageing going on back then, don't really know how to deal with it yet. Anyway...)

He initiated contact with me. I said that I had a more experienced team but that he'd get some handicaps and we decided to play. Seemed like a good guy, no complaining etc, but then he beat me in terms of cas.

So, I can't comment on the last game, but he wasn't picked by me.

Quote:

Edit: cherrypicking really dosent have a place in [A]cademy, if he had been picked badly then there would be cause for concern.

Then why did you claim that I picked him? Smile Aha, got ya!

To be honest, even though this mightn't have been the case of cherrypicking, I have felt hard done a couple of times in my few games.

Once my Elves were defeated easily by an obviously experienced dwarf team, but the coach was fine and i learned a bit. I still thought it was weird that such an experienced coach was hanging around in Academy. I haven't bothered to check, maybe he is new to the client. As I said, it was fine so I didn't worry about checking any more details.

On another occasion, a guy had put a half dozen teams on the Academy gamefinder, and i wanted to play Norse v Skaven (back in the day none of my mates had skaven and i've never played them). He said that he preferred to use Orcs because my Norse would block the hell out his Skaven. I said Humans, Undead or Orcs - whatever. What a mistake! I quickly realised that this guy was quite experienced and wanted to play with the tougher team so that he could munch me into the ground. He got all his men into really good positions and I was stuck with ST4 guys all over me. It really wasn't fun at all.

At the end of the game I said that he shouldn't be in Academy. I know that some people would say that I should learn from a game like that, but the thing was that he moved so quickly and the game was such a thrashing that i didn't learn much at the time. Sure, i can watch the replay, but I can also learn from watching other games, rather than being smashed up myself. I could really see some newbies leaving if they had to play games like this at the start.

I really think that there needs to be a cap on the amount of games a coach can play with any one race in Academy (apart from maybe a few selected coaches who actually want to help newbies). After that they should only be able to play that race in Unranked.
catmando

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I just looked at the replay. You quit in the 7th Turn of the first half and you still a team to play with, you were only down two players. You could have so turned that game around and at least scored one TD. I hate it when people up and quit just because they had a bad first half. I've managed comebacks plenty of times after having a bad first half. Sometimes people play at their best when don't have a full squad. It forces you to plan your moves more carefully and think before acting.

Just don't up and quit. Give yourself a chance to learn. When you make mistakes, don't get upset and quit, learn from them and come back stronger next time. Also, players get injured, it's part of the game. When you fret over the players in the injured or KO'd box, you forget the ones who are still on the pitch. Don't worry about the casualties, just keep playing and play harder to win or at least break even.

Stop being melodramatic and practice playing more. Smile

Good Luck, see you on the pitch.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
First of all, i was that coach and I am offended by the term 'bad'. I prefer inexperienced.

I'd assume that nearly any new player playing in [A]cademy isnt a pro, plus the term "equally bad" is pretty much interchangable with "equally good", at least when I use it. Its just my kind of humour Smile With both players being relatively new its fair to assume that they are equally matched in skill (or genuinely had no clue who was better, as they have no reliable guide, being new) before the game... as such you were at a definate advantage. But that wasnt really my point... my point was that actually hes played some games which were unfair on him and quite enjoyed them (like that one) but played some others which were in his advantage but hated them (like his last game), hence it is reasonable to assume that he didnt leave because he was cherrypicked but for some other reason, most likely casualties.

Quote:
Edit: cherrypicking really dosent have a place in [A]cademy, if he had been picked badly then there would be cause for concern.

This was just a reply to a particular school of thought that its a good thing to be roughed up a bit so you know not to be roughed up again. Personally its something that I really disagree with in the context of academy as I feel that it disencourages players and teaches the things in the wrong order, it teaches them some of the harsh realities of the FUMBBL system rather than to play BB to a reasonable standard.

Quote:
I really think that there needs to be a cap on the amount of games a coach can play with any one race in Academy (apart from maybe a few selected coaches who actually want to help newbies). After that they should only be able to play that race in Unranked.

I dont think that this is the way to deal with it, personally I intend to keep playing the occasional [A]cademy game with goblins (which I use partly because they are poor). If I were to be banned from ever using goblins in academy after 20 games then I'd probably not play in it at all, which would be a bad thing!

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
B-Tron

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Quote:
First of all, i was that coach and I am offended by the term 'bad'. I prefer inexperienced.

I'd assume that nearly any new player playing in [A]cademy isnt a pro, plus the term "equally bad" is pretty much interchangable with "equally good", at least when I use it. Its just my kind of humour Smile

haha me too. I was only joking, which is why I put the wink and smiley. Smile

Quote:

Quote:

I dont think that this is the way to deal with it, personally I intend to keep playing the occasional [A]cademy game with goblins (which I use partly because they are poor). If I were to be banned from ever using goblins in academy after 20 games then I'd probably not play in it at all, which would be a bad thing!

Well I am only new here so others may have a different opinion, but I think that once you reach a certain amount of games you SHOULD have to move most teams to Unranked. What's wrong with playing a team in Unranked instead of Academy?

Of course, maybe teams like Halflings and Gobbos should be excepted, as they are fun AND crap!

I think Academy should be for coaches to learn, and to learn to have fun. It should also be a place that encourages people to stay. Playing against Gobbos and Halflings isn't going to put people off, but getting punished by experienced coaches who really have no reason to be playing their teams in Academy will potentially turn people away.
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunk--Come to ranked, and you can make some elves to cherrypick my chaos. I promise not to foul you every single turn. No, really, I won't...
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 07:29 Reply with quote Back to top

B-Tron wrote:
SillySod wrote:
Quote:

I'd assume that nearly any new player playing in [A]cademy isnt a pro, plus the term "equally bad" is pretty much interchangable with "equally good", at least when I use it. Its just my kind of humour Smile

haha me too. I was only joking, which is why I put the wink and smiley. Smile

Jeez, get a room... Wink

I know, it's just because I'm jealous Sad

Slightly more on topic... I don't think there should be a limit on playing certain teams in Academy. If you have access to chat, you can go into #fumbblacademy, there's normally experienced coaches in there willing to help. Also, there was an Academy Helpers group or something similar, I'm sure Colin will read this thread soon enough if he has a link handy Wink It was set up to try and give slightly more structure to the learning process for people who wanted help, and the new players I had contact with through Academy when I was part of that certainly thought it helped teach them the game, and introduce them to the community.

Anyway, back to watching American Dad... What was initially meant to be a quick post mocking SillySod and B-Tron has ended up being moderately on topic (by my occasional standards anyway...)
Lomack

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Academy is for practising and learning - who in their right mind spends ages putting up pictures and everything for a 'practice team' !?

I would be like opening the bloodbowl boxed game - not reading the rules manual, spending ages painting every figure to professional level, then playing a game where you you promise to throw away every miniature that got injured... - can you imagine anyone doing that? - Just play with the crappy plastic miniatures unpainted mate - and treat the games as one off until you at least know the rules!
Wyrmtainter

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunk Stats
Win Percentage: 60%
Average TDs scored per game: 1.3
Average TDs allowed per game: 0.8
Average cas. inflicted per game: 2
Average cas. taken per game: 0.8

I fail to see how Dunk has the right to hide behind the status of noob with that kind of stats. This is just a good coach having some self-respect issues and you all fell in his trap by considering him the noob he think he is.

Personally I think that someone which these stats, who doesn't cherrypick (And I guess this is his assessment since his point is about the evil of being picked), should be a teacher in [A], not a student.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

B-Tron wrote:

Well I am only new here so others may have a different opinion, but I think that once you reach a certain amount of games you SHOULD have to move most teams to Unranked. What's wrong with playing a team in Unranked instead of Academy?

Of course, maybe teams like Halflings and Gobbos should be excepted, as they are fun AND crap!

I think Academy should be for coaches to learn, and to learn to have fun. It should also be a place that encourages people to stay. Playing against Gobbos and Halflings isn't going to put people off, but getting punished by experienced coaches who really have no reason to be playing their teams in Academy will potentially turn people away.

I think you are misunderstanding SillySod here. He wasn't playing in [A] to beat on n00bs, but to help welcome new players and teach them how to be better.

Using goblins or flings just makes the game more fun and would help show that with some good tactics a weaker team can still be competitive. If you want to improve at Bloodbowl the best way is to find a more experienced player who will take the time to tell you where you are going wrong and help you improve.

If [A] is restricted to nothing but novices then it may be useful to get the hang of the client and learn some basics, but once they get to the big bad world of [R] then they'll be in for a nasty shock.

I think the vast majority of experienced coaches who play in [A] do so out of a genuine desire to help newcomers, playing newbies can be quite dull as they tend to be slow and not very hard to beat. I do know of a few lamers who cherrypick in [A] and it's a shame that we aren't allowed to name and shame these losers. You really have nothing to gain team building wise by doing this as once a team breaks 150 TR it can only be trimmed, retired or moved to [U] (which is the same as retiring them really).

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Spub, I only play in [A] to boost my ego. Sadly, I don't think my record there is much better than anywhere else... The newbs are better than they used to be Wink
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2008 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm.. when I read the opening post I though a coach who shall not be named here had crushed another rookie academy team with his TR150 khemri (as he did/does on a regular basis saying "it`s a learning experience so they don`t let themselves be picked!").

Then I saw the game stats.. then I saw the other stats... wtf?
 Jump to: