33 coaches online • Server time: 00:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Record the length of...goto Post 145 League and Tourn...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Can modifying the min. coach limit, allow more games without too much abuse?
Yes. If the parameters can be configured well enough to deny too much abuse.
35%
 35%  [ 37 ]
No. This is too difficult to implement. 6 coaches or no games.
23%
 23%  [ 24 ]
Not sure. I'm not too familiar with blackbox yet.
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
I don't care.
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Pie!
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 103

odi

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the 6 coach limit is just fine, the thing is, if there's not enough coaches. The rounds where there are games scheduled will be once an hour instead of once every 30 mins. So if B drops in popularity it wouldnt suprise me if C changed the scheduling to once an hour. So we have to figure out what would make B more popular. A ranking system would definately get some people into B. That could be a start. Even a monthly championship thingy like in R would be great.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, I find it somewhat funny that:
-Ranked should hide CR as most doesn't care about their ranking.
-Blackbox would be interesting if only it had a ranking.

Wasn't all those "Reset/Remove/Hide CR from ranked" a bit hypocrital after all?

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 19:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Dragons wrote:
Give us Ranking and give us Mayors.

I see no reason not to show BBR now it isnt part of the equation anymore.

And i'd vote for Westerner for mayor of [B]. Laughing

Also i think the vast majority of the fumbbl community would be happy to see the end of the [R] Championship (the cherrypicker list), and replace it with a monthly [B] championship

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

odi wrote:
I think the 6 coach limit is just fine, the thing is, if there's not enough coaches. The rounds where there are games scheduled will be once an hour instead of once every 30 mins. So if B drops in popularity it wouldnt suprise me if C changed the scheduling to once an hour.

Dropping the activation slots to an hourly basis would make no sense at all. It certainly wouldnt help out the blackbox.

I think everyone would like to see BR and some sort of tournament system but obviously we dont have it at the moment, technically we are still in testing anyway.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It is better without a rating and without any tournaments.
odi

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
odi wrote:
I think the 6 coach limit is just fine, the thing is, if there's not enough coaches. The rounds where there are games scheduled will be once an hour instead of once every 30 mins. So if B drops in popularity it wouldnt suprise me if C changed the scheduling to once an hour.

Dropping the activation slots to an hourly basis would make no sense at all. It certainly wouldnt help out the blackbox.

I think everyone would like to see BR and some sort of tournament system but obviously we dont have it at the moment, technically we are still in testing anyway.

I didnt mean that it should be changed into 1 hour. I meant that at the moment during quiet times of the day, B div seems to change into that 1 hour rotation by itself. Since there arent that many coaches playing, so it ends up matching teams every hour or so.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I would venture that that is the minority opinion, Cetus.

But we do need to figure out a way to have tourneys without overwhelming regular play, making regular play just a way to build your team. The Ranked style of tourney is a poor style for Black Box.

As for bringing the majors to [B], why bother? Just create our own tourneys and let Ranked keep theirs. If people are interested in one over the other, they'll play that one.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

What you have to do is come up with a tournament system that is immune to people gaming the system. This sort of behaviour can be ignored in Ranked because you can just avoid such people if you just want to play fun Blood Bowl. In blackbox it isn't such an option. I'm wary of giving incentive to win in Blackbox other than the pleasure of winning individual matches in their own right.
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Pie option! \o/
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

TheCetusProject wrote:
What you have to do is come up with a tournament system that is immune to people gaming the system. This sort of behaviour can be ignored in Ranked because you can just avoid such people if you just want to play fun Blood Bowl. In blackbox it isn't such an option. I'm wary of giving incentive to win in Blackbox other than the pleasure of winning individual matches in their own right.

*See my ideas about a tourney that is about the coach, as opposed to the team in the Black Box Majors Thread

-Mr Foulscumm
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
By the way, I find it somewhat funny that:
-Ranked should hide CR as most doesn't care about their ranking.
-Blackbox would be interesting if only it had a ranking.

Wasn't all those "Reset/Remove/Hide CR from ranked" a bit hypocrital after all?

I think you have slightly the wrong idea.

People were not interested in CR, because in Ranked it means nothing and is worthless, because of the cherry-picking. Also, coaches with a higher CR gain no benefit from it, whilst at the same time struggle to find games if their CR is high.

Blackbox however would be a true test of coach ability, as the picking does not exist and games cannot be declined.

i would be happy to have my CR removed, deleted or reset in Ranked, as it really means nothing compared to other coaches, but i would like to see the coach ratings in Blackbox, to see how they fare when they cannot avoid teams/games.
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it usual for new divisions to stay in test this long? It's been about 4 months now. I think at this point showing BR would increase interest in B.

A monthly championship probably makes the most sense from a competition standpoint.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

odi wrote:

I once thought like you did, confused and without answers.

Thinking that hourly draws could solve somthing.

Untill I sat in the channel for 3 hours strait waiting for a 6th coach. It wouldn't make a difference how often the draw is. 1 coach short is still one coach short. The draw coach limit needs to be put at 4.

Time is running out. Change is needed.This was a simple option.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't be so bloody dramatic.

Yes, the 6 coach draw is too many, particularly in the off hours when us West Coast punters are playing, but it's not like there's tons of people in Ranked.

As for time running out, if we make the league good, coaches will come, if we don't, we won't.

it's that simple.

However, a little leadership as to when it is planned to get out of "Testing" (whatever that means) and what is intended to be done with Blackbox would be mighty useful. As it is, the cranks (including me) are just spouting merde while the division loses it's novelty.

-Mr Foulscumm
Lithuran

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2009 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes well perhaps some of us happen to sleep when the "West Coast punters are playing" and would like to play in the box.

And the few coaches that have dropped recently have made it increadbly difficult to find a game.

Oh ranked, yea right. I'm not talking about ranked.

Unless you are simply saying "play during US times or quit the box". Which I suppose is probably the case.
 Jump to: