54 coaches online • Server time: 14:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Jump up on a tree?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

stormbolt wrote:
Yepp and here we are. 2 more teams retired and that's it for me. The last team ended up with an opponent 19points higher in TS, by turn 3 he had 5!!! cas on me and I conceded, never to return to the box again.

It was a nice idea, but it brings about a-holes that have no interest in winning the games, just destroying the other teams.

Blackbox - may it rot in peace!

funny crappy cherrypicker:

Amazon 2 2/0/0 1.5 - 0.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 - 0.5 0.5 0.0 11 11
Chaos Dwarf 2 0/2/0 1.0 - 1.0 0.5 1.0 0.5 - 0.5 0.5 0.0 4 3
High Elf 1 1/0/0 1.0 - 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 - 0.0 0.0 0.0 1 -4
Norse 1 1/0/0 3.0 - 0.0 0.0 2.0 0.0 - 0.0 0.0 0.0 -2 -3
Ogre 1 1/0/0 2.0 - 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 - 3.0 2.0 1.0 -12 1
Orc 3 1/2/0 1.0 - 0.3 1.7 0.0 0.7 - 0.7 0.0 0.0 2 12
Vampire 1 0/1/0 1.0 - 1.0 2.0 2.0 0.0 - 0.0 0.0 1.0 1 -2
Wood Elf 1 1/0/0 2.0 - 1.0 1.0 2.0 1.0 - 0.0 0.0 0.0 -3 15

It doesn't look like those 15 TS in ranked at your advantage doesn't pose you any problem, nah?

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Shocked

you have played like 29 games in the box. I found 1 only at -15TS (137/141 vs 152/160).

You conceeded like 5 or 6 of them. You played only bashers. Most games have been fair.

I name your post Forum whinging.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
westerner wrote:
Snappy, the #1 factor for playing more [B] games cited in the poll was a competitive goal. Now that people can see their BR in [B] Central, there is something shoot for and hopefully that will encourage more games.

Which do you think is more important for a competitive coach.... having a top BR.... or winning a major qualifier?

__Synn

I'd be a lot happier for #1 blackbox rating than for winning a qualifier. Because winning a qualifier would NECESSARILY imply some kind of cherrypicking on my part in the 10+ games before the qualifier itself.

Of course, I will never win a qualifier (because I don't cherrypick) and I will never be #1 BR (because I suck), so my opinion doesn't really matter Very Happy

ps: your Armor of Balls sucks.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %26, %2009 - %12:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Plorg wrote:
Alternative proposal:

IF [number of fouls] < [number of forum posts complaining about fouling] THEN the coach is confined to playing in a happy care bear league with plush unicorns and RAINBOWS!

Who would miss em?

Phew.. thank god I foul enough. I mean.. UNICORNS! *shiver*
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The box is great! Cheer!

I felt something positive was needed. I havent felt that the match-ups have gotten worse or anything. I still have great games almost every time.

On the subject: The start up is the same for all teams no? That means it can't very well be hard for everyone, more likely it's just as usual.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

On topic:
Whining about killerteams in the box is text book example of hipocrisy, when coaching chaos/rotters/khemri exclusively. I don`t see your rotters/chaos taking anything but claws on doubles and at the moment you foul more often than being fouled. Going though the matches that led to the retirement of your 7 teams, I see 5 concessions and only 2 matches where you were fouled more than once (twice in one game in thrice in the other). it rather seems that you just cannot stand playing at a slight disadvantage and with the same percentage of soft opponents like you do in ranked.

In short: You want to be the killer and not the killed. You just don`t have the skill for it so you blame the system.

And next time you suggest something, at least get your facts straight. The fixed cap isn`t 20 TS, it`s 15TS after handicaps. Even though I would welcome a further reduction of that cap, teams are scheduled close enough usually to have enjoyable game. I would also suggest coaching woodelves to reduce the detachment to your players. Then you would also be capable of winning against superior opponents with just 9 players (with abit of luck) after having 5 elves killed straight in a single match.
clarkin

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
[B] is better than open [R]. But open [R] is the price you have to pay to have a team that is competitive in [R] tournaments.

Have to agree with this. I really enjoy [R] tournaments but trawling gamefinder looking for games is a special kind of hell; that's where blackbox is so fun. Plus the added kudos of battling on against the odds in an environment where you can't pick a 'soft' match when your team's a little battered; 5 dead woodies in one game... pretty epic!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Even if you are not a cherrypicker and tend to play anything, Open R has the huge advantage of letting you avoid jerks.

Nothing beats that.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Of course, I will never win a qualifier (because I don't cherrypick)

You don't need to cherrypick to win a qualifier. You just need to win three consecutive games. That does not necessarily require a seriously maxed-out team.

Winning a Major can be argued to be another matter, as it's very difficult to go through so many rounds without some nice build-up somewhere, but not a qualifier.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
Of course, I will never win a qualifier (because I don't cherrypick)

You don't need to cherrypick to win a qualifier. You just need to win three consecutive games. That does not necessarily require a seriously maxed-out team.

Winning a Major can be argued to be another matter, as it's very difficult to go through so many rounds without some nice build-up somewhere, but not a qualifier.

If you got my point (and I'm sure you did), then why do you indulge in nitpicking? Razz

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I did get your point, but I don't agree with it. You said:

Quote:
I'd be a lot happier for #1 blackbox rating than for winning a qualifier. Because winning a qualifier would NECESSARILY imply some kind of cherrypicking on my part in the 10+ games before the qualifier itself.

And the second sentence is not - imo - true. It's especially not CAPS-WORTHY true. Razz

(And I could equally easily say that being #1 in [B] rating would imply some kind of TS-fiddling, and thus counted for less.)
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

So all I have to do is be #1 in [B] while winning a qualifier to a major to become the bb-god of FUMBBL?

Or does it just show that I have no life?
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I think BR is potentially a better measure than CR because it's more uniform. The scheduling of matches is standardized in [B], whereas in [R] there are more variables in play: cherrypicking, recovery matches, personal white/blacklist, etc. Thus making comparisons of different BR's more meaningful.

CircularLogic wrote:
In short: You want to be the killer and not the killed.

Yep. Quite a logical goal, IMO. But my preferred method to achieve it would be a combination of defensive positioning and preemptive bashing.

One thing the box has taught me (painfully) is how to defend vs gangfouls and how to foul strategically.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Too bad topics like this one aren't "Too tough startup!" Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

/me fouls Foul Smile