46 coaches online • Server time: 12:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Jump up on a tree?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi gents, I'm a years long r/t player, and just now have the time to get into online. I used to post on TBB back in the day. Having a cursory look over the divisions, I can honestly say that Blackbox is the one I'm likely to play in with 90% of the time. Nothing makes you a better coach than never knowing who you're going to face next. For those who look for every broken trick in the book, all I can say is that you just don't get the point of the game.

Looking forward to bashing some noggins on the turf.

I'll be starting my blog, Coaches' Corner tomorrow. Being a Montrealer, what else could I do.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

reality wrote:
Black Box is for real men/coaches thats why i like it.

MAN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This + coaching only orc/chaos/undead = FAIL.

Telling others to man up, but being too pansy for AV7 or elves?

On topic:
8) I like it, that noone bothers you because of your CR.
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Jon_Guitard wrote:
I'll be starting my blog, Coaches' Corner tomorrow. Being a Montrealer, what else could I do.

Don Cherry is the MAN!

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

So far the only thing I don't like about the [B]ox is showing up at XX:02 or XX:32

I know, I know, positive stuff. Ok, When you have a bad game in the [B]ox, you know your next game will a reasonably even recovery game. Well, most of the time(Very Happy)
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

arv9673 wrote:
So far the only thing I don't like about the [B]ox is showing up at XX:02 or XX:32

I know, I know, positive stuff. Ok, When you have a bad game in the [B]ox, you know your next game will a reasonably even recovery game. Well, most of the time(Very Happy)

Actually, you play ogres Smile

But [B] is fun, and will only improve, as things are refined and tourneys added.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

First: Blackbox mishes perfectly with my real life playtile. I know that a game starts at xx:00 and xx:30.
I just don't live anymore those 20 mins searching a game then ending by: oh crap I haven't enough time anymore.

On average, the people that stayed in blackbox aren't afraid to play any team, hence I saw less whinging and bad spirit.

Then, I don't have to consider matchups. I never end angered because I just thought "oh crap, I really was the cherry on this one".

I know my BR rating is evaluated on a fair basis here (well, will, some exploited loopholes in the TS formula has been fixed).

I'm happy about the team mix-up. At the very beginning, the division was maybe full of bashers, but they finally ended bored to face each other (that must not have been the cas-fest they hoped to see) leaving blackbox in a somewhat closer division, but with a perfect spirit.

On this point, I don't agree with Snappy's expectation of B's death. I'm happy the way it is. I don't need poor sportman's Ranked player back (the rest is heartly welcomed back of course, if they feel like it).

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I like BlackBox because it avoids the artificially bloated environment of Ranked, stops cherry-picking and elf-bowling, and quickly and reliably gives you decently fair matches.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

In [B] nobody gripes when I foul.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The [B]ox is exactly what I was doing in [R] all those years. Don't bother who you play!

Sadly I do not have much time to play lately.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
BillBrasky wrote:
[B]lack Box Rules.
1) No waiting hours for matches, because people with 7 claw/rsc are scared to play your 2 dps.
2) No one cries when you foul.
3) Their are no super pimped teams that only picking can build.
4) You know you are the MAN, because you face scores of Orcs, Khemri, & Dorfs with AV 7/8 Teams.
5) You see the super picker 180 CR coaches cry & run away, never to return to the [B]ox.
6) All of the Hard-Pipe-Hitting Coaches play in the Black Box.

Totally agree! And to add:
7) The division is new so your players actually have a chance of making the top 10 racial lists!

CircularLogic wrote:

(...)
8 ) I like it, that noone bothers you because of your CR.

...all of the above and...

9) i like, that Black-Box coach-rating, BWR (and also the bash-rating BBR) has been made available for us and that a corresponding ranking exists.

...this has actually made me try to go for more competitive teams (i.e. buy more RR, play more competitive races), since i realized playing a lot of 0-RR-Ogres made my BWR drop to below 140 Sad
...aiming at a BWR>150, for now Wink
treborius

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
arv9673 wrote:

Actually, you play ogres Smile

keeping Ogres alive at a high TR level is not easy at all in a bashing-intensive environment, even
though a lot of your players have AV=9 and Thick Skull.

it's because you get the most important skills (Block, Tackle, Dodge, Dirty Player) only on
doubles, your TR is ridiculously high (low income) and Ogres are too expensive (120K gold)

so when you loose 1 Ogre and have 1 or 2 mng (which happens often enough) you'll have to play a number
of games until you can afford replacing that Ogre and you'll be happy about every not-so-bashy game Wink

and that's not even mentioning the stunty, ST=2, AV=7 little guys which die like flies, anyways Sad

actually, when you look up the all-time-top-10 lists for Black-Box - Ogre - teams, you'll find more
retired teams than probably for any other race - and i suspect that's not because people got bored with
them Wink
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Blackbox so much, I even wrote 53 match reports Very Happy

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=511455
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinner wrote:
The [B]ox is exactly what I was doing in [R] all those years. Don't bother who you play!

Sadly I do not have much time to play lately.

But in [B] it's more uniform.

If you can find time to play an occasional one off game you might want to give it a try.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Go go you useful useful thread you! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
I like Blackbox so much, I even wrote 53 match reports Very Happy

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=511455

53? pah! 123 and counting, just in B Mr. Green
 Jump to: