29 coaches online • Server time: 01:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2009 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Like it says on the tin, Deej84 and I are hoping to design and start an online site for Warhammer Quest. Anyone who is interested in helping us make this a reality, please contact us.

@ site admin. We put this in Off Topic, hopefully you don't mind us doing this. With all the GW gamers here, it seemed a good place. Please feel free to move this topic or remove it if you feel that it is not appropriate.

We're hoping to make a sort of league or MMO, where gamers could link up and start randomly generated or semi random Warhammer Quest adventures.

What the heck, it might be fun
Chrome_ghoul

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2009 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

There is a thread already running about a WHQ Vassal client. I'd be very interested in playing, but I am a luddite who only uses computers grudgingly, so you'll need to look eslewhere for tech help.
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2009 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for the update. if there is already a vassal client, this might be easier than we had hoped
Kinks

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome! Smile

Love to help but I'm not very good at much :/

What do you want doing?

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

We're still in the early stages at the moment, so any take on coverting rules, monster movement, treasure and eguiptment into the playable computer form would be helpful. Also how action from your warriors would work, i.e. The Snotling team will sometimes just hide behind a fellow hero's legs for the duration of a battle lol gotta love those guys.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's probably going to look similar to FUMBBL in terms of using icons, so if anyone fancy a crack at creating a couple that would be awesome too. Everyone that helps will be mentioned on the site itself when/if this works.

And thank you.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Deej84 wrote:
We're still in the early stages at the moment, so any take on coverting rules, monster movement, treasure and eguiptment into the playable computer form would be helpful. Also how action from your warriors would work, i.e. The Snotling team will sometimes just hide behind a fellow hero's legs for the duration of a battle lol gotta love those guys.

So are you looking at having an AI games master or a human games master. Because I recon it would be much easier to do it with a human games master to begin with.

Deej84 wrote:
EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's probably going to look similar to FUMBBL in terms of using icons, so if anyone fancy a crack at creating a couple that would be awesome too. Everyone that helps will be mentioned on the site itself when/if this works.

Well I could probably have a shot at editing the FUMBBL Thrud icon to have a sword and pass for a barbarian?

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Well we were thinking both in terms of the games master, give the players the chance to play dungeons, or control them. As for the icon, I'll leave that up to you, just don't want to nick too much from here as I'd feel bad and would have to make a donation to make myself feel better lol

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Something like that?

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

That actually looks pretty damn cool lol. Though not having teams we can do away with the Red and Blue schemes. But great start, We know what you're working on lol Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Well without knowing anything about programing I was assuming the easiest thing to do would be to start off with just the basics:

The standard 4 starting heroes
A level 1 Dungeon
Leave AI to a player (either as a dedicated dungeon master or as a player dungeon master - using the solo rules)
Do all the advanced / role play type stuff manually. Such as traveling and daily events etc.

Surely that would minimise the work required to get it up and running and give you plenty of room for expansion?

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Well once we get some ideas flowing in the same direction and get a sort of playable prototype, a couple of us will have some play tests and take it from there I guess. I'm thinking 4 heroes per party would keep all happy, thought like you say, we could expand that to 5 or 6 if we feel it'll work.
The daily events on the travelling side, I figured would just be random events like the skill rolls for here. The system would do the "manual stuff" for you.
AI I'm still unsure about so we need to get a few ideas on that front. But a dedicated dungeon master to start things off would work.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

All sounds good to me. I think the rulebook (been a LONG while) simply allocates monsters evenly where ever possible (for close combat monsters), randomising if the is an uneven amount of monsters. As for long range monsters, they just stand at the most distant point to the warriors.

Obviously they all move in (I)nitiative order, as it is more than likely there will be a group of monsters all with the same initiative I would probably give them all a order of sequence when they are first spawned, to make it easy for the AI. simliar to how the warriors roll of at the start of a quest if they have equal initiative. (maybe allow it to come back to players who can;t move / attack because the are blocked in).

like the signature BTW.

So when I'm back at work on Fri I shall have a go at a few level 1 dungeon monsters. Orcs (swords and bows), gobbo's, Mino's and ogres.

PS. There seems to be loads of sites with cool icons out there for treasure, equipment, events, etc

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

wow. Great work getting the community in Deej. I use vassal for Warrmachine, and I like it. It's friendly as all heck. What we need most is a java code writer, as I'm a computer moron.

Some concepts for game play.

For starters. Heroes. Basic 4, with more as we can get them programmed. Dungeons will be semi random, like the game. x number of rooms total, with a minumum of x before the objective becomes possible. Monsters will be both the option of random from the entire list, or a choosable grouping. That will allow themed duingeons like the 'halls of the Skaven Lords' or what have you.

as for going to town, I figure each member will roll one random event, effecting his hero, per level of settlement, so 1,2, or 3.

At the settlement, a roll of some kind to determine how many days the guard are going to put up with rowdy drunk adventurers before tossing you out. Each day allows a check to find a location.

These are the basics as far as I can tell, we'll want to grow to include adventuring companies, like clans, statistcis and awards for both heroes and companies, and community designed dungeons like the old rpg modules.

If anyone has idea on how to make this a reality, you are most welcome. get in on the ground floor, and we can build something that we gamers are very proud of.
Deej84

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2009 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Jon_Guitard wrote:
wow. Great work getting the community in Deej. I use vassal for Warrmachine, and I like it. It's friendly as all heck. What we need most is a java code writer, as I'm a computer moron.

Some concepts for game play.

For starters. Heroes. Basic 4, with more as we can get them programmed. Dungeons will be semi random, like the game. x number of rooms total, with a minumum of x before the objective becomes possible. Monsters will be both the option of random from the entire list, or a choosable grouping. That will allow themed duingeons like the 'halls of the Skaven Lords' or what have you.

as for going to town, I figure each member will roll one random event, effecting his hero, per level of settlement, so 1,2, or 3.

At the settlement, a roll of some kind to determine how many days the guard are going to put up with rowdy drunk adventurers before tossing you out. Each day allows a check to find a location.

These are the basics as far as I can tell, we'll want to grow to include adventuring companies, like clans, statistcis and awards for both heroes and companies, and community designed dungeons like the old rpg modules.

If anyone has idea on how to make this a reality, you are most welcome. get in on the ground floor, and we can build something that we gamers are very proud of.

Yes to all of the above. First thing first though, we REALLY need that code writter. I'm not as much of a computer geek as I like to think. I have been looking into it myself as I'd love to do it, but nothing so far. So if we can recruit someone, we're in business i'd say.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I have at least another month before I'm back to work, so maybe I'll bite the bullet and try to figure out how to make a vassal module. It will be a start, and I've found that you can more easily find people to continue work that you have already started.
 Jump to: