64 coaches online • Server time: 20:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Welcome Newcomers - ...goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is the diversity really that bad?
I don't play in the box but think - NO
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
I don't play in the box but think - YES
13%
 13%  [ 20 ]
I've had less then 20 box games and think - NO
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
I've had less then 20 box games and think - YES
12%
 12%  [ 18 ]
I've had less then 100 box games and think - NO
19%
 19%  [ 28 ]
I've had less then 100 box games and think - YES
19%
 19%  [ 28 ]
I've had more then 100 box games and think - NO
21%
 21%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 146

Qaz

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2009 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Orc 25
Chaos 18
Dwarf 16
Dark Elf 7
Khemri 7
Undead 7
Chaos Dwarf 4
Lizardmen 4
Wood Elf 4
Human 3
High Elf 2
Ogre 2
Skaven 2
Necromantic 1
Norse 1
Amazon 1
Total 104

this is for my most played B box team. Is played mostly at TR above 175

It would be nice if Orcs did not have so insainly low TS.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2009 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I chose to play Dorfs in the box as I knew I would get games there and not have to go begging, like I would in [R]. The problem with diversity obviously gets worse at higher tr for the more fragile teams as there are fewer and fewer "soft" opponents to recover against. But then frankly that is the opposite of [R} where it is harder and harder to get games as your teams gets more bashy, while all the elves play first to 5 TD fests. Ok, Im exaggerating - but the point is they are different competitions for different styles. Unless FUMBBL was to change into FUMelfBBL, black box is surely a good thing as it is?
XtremeXwing

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently played 176 box games and my top team i have played is:
Orcs 21 times
then intrestingly joint second is ...
Darkelfs with 17 (joint with dwarfs and Khremi)
followed by Chaos with 13 and then woodies with 11!

Smile
jimjo

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

around 50% from my around 400 games in the box where bash games
chaos70, orxe60 and dwarf40 and khems 30
as i played 50% of my games rats and h-elf i wanna say :
there is a huge lack of diversity in the BOx

and i love it....
i think i cant play rats vs non bash anymore;)

and i hate it ....
to rebuild is soo hard (exept for rats)

i vote for NO
i dont want BBR in the scheduler
because i dont like to play elfs with my rats;)

but maybe we should arange a only non bash teams in the box month
as a result we would have a lot of high rated non bash teams:)
maybee not for long

better the BlackBox fumbblers change and make themselfs some rats too:)
anyone who know KANT?
odi

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The diversity seems just fine to me. Ofcourse there will be a bit more bashers at higher TR ranges, that was to be expected.

Out of my skaven 146 games I have 25 vs Orcs, 17 vs Dwarves and Khemri. Not that bad, especially considering that most of the games have been played at a TR higher than 180 (just a guess here). I dont have any problems with people who play bashy teams, if they like it fine. I prefer playing a squishy team, and if I manage outbash a bashy team once in a while, all the more fun. Only playstyles I have a problem is the coaches who arent playing to win. Be that bashers that dont try to force my skaven to score, but rather let them stall as long as they want while bashing at the few downed players a long way from the ball, or squishy players running away for safety. That makes the game boring for me.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing that people need to realise is, the bashy teams are mainly building themselves up to take on other bashy team, so if you biuld up and elf team, or rats like myself, jimjo and odi above, you will have alot of fun running rings around the bashers.

Sure, there may be alot of Orc teams out there, but they quickly reach quite a high TR leaving them in the range to play Dwarves, CDs and Chaos, whilst the middle range of teams seems to be a very nice mix.
Gran

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Gran wrote:
Igvy wrote:
If you can't beat em join em.

I take this as evidence why the Black Box will be(come) the Bash Box.

I don't. You run usually one tournament team that is an orc, chaos or elf team anyway.

Well, what I mean is that the Box is virtually a non-stop tournament, and long tournaments will favour high AV bashers (that is, assuming that people will try to get a high BWR*).

I'm not saying that I think we should ban bashers or that I feel trodden on because I can't "elfball" my way through the Box (to tell you the truth I'm rubbish with elves), I'm saying I find it sad that there isn't a more even mix of teams, because I would like to play a wide mix of teams and races. My 20% orcs isn't something I ran into at TR200+. I don't even have a team at TR200+! 20% orcs is what I got between TR 100 and 170.

I just find it a bit boring, that's all. That doesn't mean I will leave the Box, I like the Box! I just think there is room for improvement, and I think that there is a risk of stagnation.

*Edited

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

Last edited by Gran on %b %10, %2009 - %12:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Gran, no its not. Because in B, if you get mngs etc, you drop down to play lower teams, so it is nothing like a long tourny.

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Gran, no its not. Because in B, if you get mngs etc, you drop down to play lower teams, so it is nothing like a long tourny.

Aye.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Gran

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

True in so far as it means your not going to end up facing much stronger opposition undermanned, but still think my point is valid. It's easier, for most people, to get a strong team and to keep winning in this environment with high AV bashers, so that is what they'll pick in order to hunt for a higher BWR* or to enter into BBox-tournaments.

*Edited

Last edited by Gran on %b %10, %2009 - %12:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

But BBR is completely unimportant. Coaches are ranked by BWR which is the win rating. And from experience I can say, that bashers rather tend to hurt your BWR.
odi

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

who cares about BBR? In the beginning that was just part of C's plan to hurt coaches who just wanted to bash instead of playing to win, if I remember correctly. But these days it's obsolite, so it could even be removed. Though I was very close to making it into the top ten last week, with a BBR of 139. That would have been fun, making it to the top ten with the lousiest BBR. But then I ended up loosing a game or 2. Sad

edit: as Circ said... I got those mixed up, corected them now...

Last edited by odi on %b %10, %2009 - %13:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Gran

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
But BBR is completely unimportant. Coaches are ranked by BWR which is the win rating. And from experience I can say, that bashers rather tend to hurt your BWR.

My bad. Obviously I mean BWR.

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

odi wrote:
who cares about BWR? In the beginning that was just part of C's plan to hurt coaches who just wanted to bash instead of playing to win, if I remember correctly. But these days it's obsolite, so it could even be removed. Though I was very close to making it into the top ten last week, with a BWR of 139. That would have been fun, making it to the top ten with the lousiest BWR. But then I ended up loosing a game or 2. Sad

You are mixing up BWR (Blackbox Win Rating) and BBR (Blackbox Bash Rating).
Snorri

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Gran wrote:

Well, what I mean is that the Box is virtually a non-stop tournament, and long tournaments will favour high AV bashers (that is, assuming that people will try to get a high BBR).

I just find it a bit boring, that's all. That doesn't mean I will leave the Box, I like the Box! I just think there is room for improvement, and I think that there is a risk of stagnation.

I also find it boring. Just a small fraction of my games are from [R] and [B] because its so stagnant.

Unconstrained tournaments will always favour high av bashers. But it doesn't have to be that way. There are some long term [U] tournaments which foster variety.

Unfortunately, trying to tell the core blackboxers/forumers about that here is nigh on impossible.... In the end it seems like there's some unswayable concensus, but in reality they drive away alot of interested players...even from fumbbl altogether.
 Jump to: