40 coaches online • Server time: 14:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Like I have written in the announcement thread (where it got lost in the shuffle quickly):

Fumbbl as a site itself may well survive by complying to the requests stated in the letter. Moving to a better integrated client however (with a server hosted by Fumbbl) such as the one currently in development is out of the question.

I wonder if a concerted effort to re-implement the rules without GW references is realistic / manageable. Going the way of "Alien Assault" is the only possible future for the client that I can see. And even then it's not safe either - Cyanide got sued over "Chaos League" without having a 1:1 copy of the ruleset.

I also wonder how the BBRC feels about putting in all this work and then getting their hoops kicked by forcing talkbloodbowl to close or shift in a way that it does not reference their work (done there for the most part) any longer.
theopacman

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to hear JJ's take on all this?

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Chaos Leagues problem was that it was abit too close to BB, and also it was a commercial product.

If you were to convert Java Bowl to a turn based american football simulator with fantasy creatures - I wouldn't think there's much GW can do about that.

But as soon as it's not BloodBowl anymore, will enough people still want to play? What about in the longterm?
Grouchy

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Was good playing with all you guys, just incase the site quickly disappears, which could be possible.
Jester_Spirit

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

What do those IP laws exactly say? Under which circumstances would GW loose their rights?
morraywolfymax

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It won't end.

If it takes me and Vampy setting it up somewhere else it'll never end. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If GW forces fumbbl to stop I vow that I shall never ever buy anything from GW again.
I know, they won't care.
But what else can I do but not buying their stuff any longer PLUS trying to convince others to steer away from this money-slobbering giant evil chtuluh in the Gaming world?

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Jinxed wrote:
If GW forces fumbbl to stop I vow that I shall never ever buy anything from GW again.
I know, they won't care.
But what else can I do but not buying their stuff any longer PLUS trying to convince others to steer away from this money-slobbering giant evil chtuluh in the Gaming world?

Grab torches and pitchforks and set the cyanide's forumz on fire? Twisted Evil
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Jester_Spirit wrote:
Jinxed wrote:
I know, they won't care.

Grab torches and pitchforks and set the cyanide's forumz on fire? Twisted Evil

Alas, I haz no HaXx0r skillz.

I would if I could. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

JoeKano wrote:
Licensing would be problematic, its a computer based game....cyanides game is a computer based game. THis suggests to me the applicable license has been sold already ? SO ultimately you would need probably GW and the current computer based game license holder to agree as well...

As I pointed when I commented on Christer's news post: JBB and the new client should be viewed as clients, not games. They are programs for facilitating gaming over large distances, for handling results and for ensuring against cheating. They are emulators. If we can sell that idea (together with pointing out that shutting down FUMMBL will be a cost for GW, not a gain) then maybe...

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
Vorbeck

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to put out a team editor or application that would allow for team advancement without the use of this site? That way the program itself can be alive, even if this website is forced to shut down. A lot of people put a lot of work into the client, and while it may be inevitable, it would be a waste to see it all lost.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know. It really is Christer's call, and no-one elses, given he's the one they'll go after. You know - just saying all the you could do this/that advice is well meant, but I'd rather Christer does what's good for him, foremost, rather than trying to continue FUMBBL at all cost.

He's done more than enough for the community over the last years (including running FUMBBL on a loss) already. I'd rather see FUMBBL shut down then him ending up in a court case.

-Mnemon
f_alk

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, the letter is very friendly and they have made it easy to comply.

Dimotane wrote:
Quote:
Therefore, we would be grateful if within fourteen days of the date of this letter you would procide written undertakings, in a form acceptable to us, that you:

1. have received and understood the contents of this letter:
2. will cease and desist from any activities which infringes GW's intellectual property rights;
3. remove the Java Bowl link, and any materials subject to GW's copyright, from your site; and
4. confirm by return that you will not infringe GW's intellectual property rights at any time in the future.

Would there possibly be a way to download the client as an .exe and just connect P2P for games?

Yes.
Ok, the "replay" button won't work anymore.
Plus: people need to look through the different pages of the rules and statistics to make sure that no GW-belongings are published.

Just cut the direct connections to clients, disable the auto-upload ... and suddenly it is pure coincidence that FUMBBL uses the same data format that is also used by an IP-infringing software.

You can't blame ppl if they write their results and logs of their TT games in this weird manner, can you - after all FUMBBL is only administrating the teams and their databases.
ultwe

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

crossposting from the other thread:

Quote:

My greatest wonder is:

As a Fumbbl team (the Terrifying Anarchists of Naggaroth) is actually name checked in the official rules (in LRB5 and probably LRB6), I am not certain they have a legal leg to stand on (knowing of the site and letting it run for several years, in its current form, after being made aware of it).

However, does the community, as a whole have the clout to stand up to them? That, I doubt

Ult
(hopefully not over and out)

Ult

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
maysrill

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't the Living Rulebook (in its various incarnations) made freely available? I'm certainly no lawyer, but I would think that invalidates any copyright claims against non-profit, attributed uses of the materials. It's been fair-use, public domain information for years.

GW has to be counting on no one having the money to push back on this, because if someone did, they'd almost certainly lose their copyright claim.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
 Jump to: