68 coaches online • Server time: 20:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ultwe

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

No, the LRB specifically state that you must own the game to use it

Quote:

You will need a copy of the
Blood Bowl boxed game to
use the contents of this book.

Page 53 of LRB6

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
Dimotane

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Gran wrote:
As I pointed when I commented on Christer's news post: JBB and the new client should be viewed as clients, not games. They are programs for facilitating gaming over large distances, for handling results and for ensuring against cheating. They are emulators. If we can sell that idea (together with pointing out that shutting down FUMMBL will be a cost for GW, not a gain) then maybe...

Play Creator does alittle BB emulating/simulating. Not for live games but it's got some of the basics there - as well as references to Blood Bowl.

It will be interesting to see if they receive a letter from GW. If not then perhaps with some modifcation, the FUMBBL lrb 5 client could be allowed.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I own a game, Hogshine owns a game. What more do you want?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

ultwe wrote:
No, the LRB specifically state that you must own the game to use it

Quote:

You will need a copy of the
Blood Bowl boxed game to
use the contents of this book.

Page 53 of LRB6

So the question is, why this is enough to justify the availability of the LRB, but not enough to justify the same for the client.
JHassler

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

A closed private league? Peon, are you really onto somethng here or just on something? This sounds like a possibility if there are legal loopholes that make it so we are all just people playing in a private online league who all own the game... hmmm... Someone with more legal expertise can possibly help here?

Also, someone mentioned before about the fact that FUMBBL has been around so long that there could be some precedent set?

Hope we have a lawyer among us who can volunteer to save FUMBBL.
Gordreg

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
I own a game, Hogshine owns a game. What more do you want?

Indeed. Physically owning a copy of the game has long been one of the requirements to use/play on the site, hasn't it?
Brad

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

From the cyanide pages, which I might add is fully badged with the GW logos, (http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/index.php?rub=medias-rulebook), the following statement is made, and the LRB provided freely:
"Since its creation, the 3rd edition of Blood Bowl has much evolved. Numerous changes and balance alterations have been made, most of them done with the help of the huge Blood Bowl community.
Ever since, all these changes have been compiled in what is now called the Living Rulebook. These are the official rules of Blood Bowl, largely used in leagues and tournaments, but also used by our version of Blood Bowl on PC and consoles. Rich in information, it is a real asset for every Blood Bowl coach!

If a company freely provides a document for public use or redistribution ("...To Every Bloodbowl coach...") they have lost their right of first sale, there is nothing stopping anyone acquiring a copy (Freely downloading it) and giving it to someone else.

Additionally Cyanide and GW have endorsed a statement declaring the LRB to have been developed by the Blood Bowl Community, they would have a hard time now claiming full and exclusive copyright over the same. Even though their legal page claims everything ever submitted to them or their webpages is their property, could they prove that that disclaimer was made known to every person who submitted, and that they only used ideas from the community that were officially submitted?

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Umm..

I've just been to GWs german website and checked out the legal page there - I'm not convinced these guys actually HAVE lawyers in their company.

They actually want to sell people the idea that by 'submitting' any ideas or material, for example mailing it to an official GW address you automatically transfer all copyright thereof to them. Can't take them seriously anymore after reading that.

EDIT: It's the same in their US legal page...hilarious.

Last edited by Fela on %b %12, %2009 - %15:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Eghost

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

This is explicitly stated on their legal page under "Out of production games": providing a system for playing the game on the internet effectively means that you could play the game without having ever bought it originally, which therefore devalues GW products as outlined above.
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't they offer us lrb 6? And now they come with this? Mixed signals..
Araznaroth

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Lets all take our coachpics while holding our copy of the game:)

I really hope something can be done to save the site.
Fela

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I just looked up the number of years they would have to knowingly tolerate the use of their trademark. German law says 5 years, en.wikipedia.org says commonly 5 years. (I always thought it was 10, glad to be mistaken here Smile)

Would probably make sense to heck this in UK or swedish law (could some resident or law student please check this out?). whichever applies here.

I'm pretty convinced at least ONE of us could remember mentioning fumbbl to someone associated with GW more than 5 years ago - which if i'm not mistaken should already be enough for legally constituting knowledge of the IP infringement and thus knowing toleration thereof.

So IF there's a 5 years period in the respective laws, we should be on the safe side already.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the PO nerf was in the 2003 rules review. Back then, at least everyone from TBB had knowledge of the FUMBBL existence, which means that the better part of the BBRC had knowledge. That JJ never ever heard of FUMBBL by then is not exactly believable, especially as I think FUMBBL data had also been brought up as data for balancing.
Gran

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Vorbeck wrote:
Is it possible to put out a team editor or application that would allow for team advancement without the use of this site? That way the program itself can be alive, even if this website is forced to shut down. A lot of people put a lot of work into the client, and while it may be inevitable, it would be a waste to see it all lost.

Actually, if I have understood GW's IPP correctly, FUMBBL isn't illegal, but JBB is. In fact, FUMBBL is clearly legal. And that is the problem here. Keeping FUMBBL is easy, but we won't be able to play.

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

fyi guys...

if you really want GW to get the point...not buying products isn't going to do anything...particularly when blood bowl is a minor source of income for GW anyways....there's tons of people who play 40K that don't play blood bowl, that none of this affects, and they will continue to throw their money away...

write a letter....express your concern to GW themselves...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?section=community&aId=4500001

for americans

Quote:
Contact Us

By Phone

Customer Services: 1-800-394-4263

- Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST

Our Customer Service department is equipped to handle any questions or problems you may have with an order or product. Use this number to report problems with an order, let us know about missing or damaged components, or have us answer any queries about your order.

By Mail

Games Workshop Customer Services
6711 Baymeadow Drive
Glen Burnie, MD 21060-6401
USA

By e-mail

Custserv@games-workshop.com

log onto the site, register your country, and check the link...

write a letter, make a phone call...the phrase "the pen is mightier than the sword" is very valid....and in this case "the pen is mightier than the wallet" could be equally valid

--j

ImageImage
 Jump to: