68 coaches online • Server time: 22:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post killing by fun?goto Post custom pitch per tea...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Dugouts would be a problem because now technically possible to have more than 16 players. Even taking the missing players off, with the use of special cards you can still have 17 players. Also i prefer the 'curtains' as you can see all the players that are injured/ dead and not just the ones that can fit into the dugout.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Bigger dugouts? Automatic resizing of player icons when too many? Automatic resizing of dugout boxes when needed? Scrollbar in the dugout?

Any of these would fix the problem.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
Dugouts would be a problem because now technically possible to have more than 16 players. Even taking the missing players off, with the use of special cards you can still have 17 players. Also i prefer the 'curtains' as you can see all the players that are injured/ dead and not just the ones that can fit into the dugout.

I agree that you need to see all the players who are out, but I think it may be possible to fit everyone in on one dugout and not lose anyone. I will test it out.

I think the worst case scenario (for taking up space) would be:

3 reserve
4 KO (minimum number to use up 2 rows)
4 BH
4 SI
1 Dead
1 Banned

9 rows * 40 pixels = 360
That leaves 90 pixels for 6 titles = 15 pixels each

That is 17 players and uses the most rows with all the sections having someone taking up space. If anyone can think of a situation that uses more than 9 rows, please let me know.

Again, in the end this is up to Kalimar to decide if it is feasible and something he agrees with.
justagigolo

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I prefer the current layout. Having the two tabs to show either the reserve players, and the players out due to injury clarifies things greatly for me. There is the convenience of seeing the number of the players in each group at a glance as well. And really everyone is discussing their personal preference at this point. I would far rather Kalimar spends his invaluable time fleshing out the few remaining skills, or sussing out the various bugs then going down the never ending death march of the perfect UI. At no point are we all going to be happy, and the current solution is fairly intuitive and seems to work flawlessly.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

@justagigolo: Don't worry, I will Smile I see it as the client having reached a point in stability that coaches start to talk about changing the userinterface (yet again) rather than missing stuff and the latest bugs Smile

Those folks demanding persistent dugouts overlook a few facts. Where do the active and selected player infos go? Compared to the layout of the old client they were moved up and to the sides to make room for having both a log and a chat window. This was possible only by having sidebars alternating between displaying reserve, players that are out and the player stats. It took me about half a year of trying lots and lots of layout ideas to come up with one that fits all the requirements. Not because it is the most beautiful looking alternative (it became somewhat good looking only after WhatBall joined the team) but the most practical. And that's why I am absolutely not going to change layout before everything is truly done. And that will be a while still Wink
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
And that's why I am absolutely not going to change layout before everything is truly done. And that will be a while still Wink

I totally agree. It also means a lot of time to try and refine the look instead of lots of little steps that waste your time.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Priorities:
1. All skills/players/teams/non-card inducements/stars working per LRB6 rules
2. Cards
3. Interface upgrades
Very Happy

Personally I like the interface for nearly everything. I've got some getting used to to do compared to JavaBowl, but aside from some hotkey envy (and maybe some pop-up blocking dice in the middle), I don't see anything I'd truly want to see changed.

(I'd play up 800TV just to play with a ton of cards. I don't care how badly I lost)
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
Priorities:
1. All skills/players/teams/non-card inducements/stars working per LRB6 rules
2. Cards
3. Interface upgrades
4. BB7's Rules
Very Happy

Personally I like the interface for nearly everything. I've got some getting used to to do compared to JavaBowl, but aside from some hotkey envy (and maybe some pop-up blocking dice in the middle), I don't see anything I'd truly want to see changed.

(I'd play up 800TV just to play with a ton of cards. I don't care how badly I lost)

Hehe, I agreed with everything there, and added in a little Razz
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2010 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Just had my first game for a while, love the Inducement interface and the new sounds. Keep up the good work! Is a Wizzie / being able to use your own icons far away? The more I play with the curtains, the more I like!

Now, if I remember the rules and the choosing to pass before moving thing, I might be dangerous! Very Happy

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %01, %2010 - %17:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2010 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

pardon me, but: cards?

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2010 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I've missed if there is an official line on cards.

I guess they'd be nice, but didn't LRB4 have cards that we were fine without too?

I can imagine some of the results (Trampoline Trap, two balls) being a total nightmare to work into the client. I'd put them on the end of the list of things to do, myself.

Just me?
Calthor

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2010 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar has already stated that he is planning to implement cards, but only after skills have been implemented and (most) bugs have been dealt with. Even then there are some cards that will never be, as they are too hard to implement for little worth, but he is planning to do most of them.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2010 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Win.
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2010 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The dugouts are ok, there are just two minor things i would like to change in the layout to lessen the eye-movement a little so that things are more concentrated.

These would be to have the block-dice centered in the middle and not separated at both sides, it is just one team that are doing blocks at a time anyway.
The other thing would be to move the statline below the playerpicture so it is much closer to the skills, that way it would be easier to see what eztra things a player have. As it is now, i often miss stat-changes as the first thing you check is the skills and at that point, the stat-line is in the edge of your perception so i frequently miss it even though the colorization of the stat-changes.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2010 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

What is it that seems to elongate FFB games?

Ski's client seems to take me about 50 mins - an hour, and I've played 10-15 FFB games (before anyone points out my record shows 5-6 - most were in the early days where bugs often stopped play), and they tend to take 1h 20 or more. It's weird, since I'm not sure why this should be? Is it this thing of looking for dice / skills etc?
 Jump to: