23 coaches online • Server time: 01:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
princevaliant

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

/rock

something like: "THROW A ROCK!"

/noob

"WHAT was that?!"
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 06:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice one Hanzie!!.. I like the crickets!

Boo, cheer, hurt, c'mon ref, DO IT!, crickets, D-fence... those are all great.

I'll add...

"I'm getting a beer"
"that sod spilled my nachos"
"line's too long... I'll just piss here."
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Frantisek wrote:
"Bloodwiser! Get your Bloodwiser here!"

That's a winner.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

How about "You stink!!!"?
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 08:17 Reply with quote Back to top

"Albatross! Get your Albatross here... It's bloody seabird flavour!"

Seriously, let's not go over board with this one, or all will play with sound off.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
HanZzz wrote:
Maybe instead of "boring", have some crickets chirping. Smile

Seconded

Thirded

But yeah, I agree it's probably better not to go overboard. Maybe one more sound, but that's it. Fill the client with available sounds, and you will turn some games into a cacophony instead of some cool audio effects.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that I'd rather not have too many new sounds.

Firstly it's a low priority, but fan fave games like last rounds of the Majors would be annoying. Also i think we should avoid specs being able to give the players advice using the emotes.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

/icecream

followed by a "get ready"
princevaliant

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:

Firstly it's a low priority, but fan fave games like last rounds of the Majors would be annoying. Also i think we should avoid specs being able to give the players advice using the emotes.

Two issues here.

1: Too many sounds/distracting sounds. Don't use them if you want, and turn spec noises off if they bug you. "Problem" solved.

2: Getting advice from spec noises: plenty of people ask for advice while in game in IRC. Some even join spectator chat to see what is being said about them/the game. If people want advice they'll get it; I don't think getting advice from someone chanting "FOUL!" makes a whole lot of difference. It's certainly no reason to limit our spectator fun.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

princevaliant wrote:
2: Getting advice from spec noises: plenty of people ask for advice while in game in IRC. Some even join spectator chat to see what is being said about them/the game. If people want advice they'll get it; I don't think getting advice from someone chanting "FOUL!" makes a whole lot of difference. It's certainly no reason to limit our spectator fun.

Isn't this one against the rules?
princevaliant

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
princevaliant wrote:

no idea. I sure see plenty of people doing it though, right or wrong.

Also, which part? Speccing your own game, or asking for advice in IRC? Also, who are the brain police who are going to enforce this? hehe
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

princevaliant wrote:
spubbbba wrote:

Two issues here.

1: Too many sounds/distracting sounds. Don't use them if you want, and turn spec noises off if they bug you. "Problem" solved.

1- Wow, add a lot of sounds, and those who don't like such a noise can turn them off at all. Very democratic.

2- What's up with that way of thinking??? The fact that there's ways around things doesn't mean we should build a five lane blacktop highway with a two-lane service row to help people get there faster and easier... geez

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %30, %2010 - %19:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
zakatan

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
princevaliant wrote:

yup

i don't even know if it's possible with the new client
princevaliant

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
1- Wow, add a lot of sounds, and those who don't like such a noise can turn them off at all. Very democratic.

2- What's up with that way of thinking??? The fact that there's ways around things doesn't mean we should build a five lane blacktop highway to help people get there faster and easier... geez

re: your first point...Isn't part of the definition of a modern democratic society tolerating those you disagree with? When someone from a religion I don't believe in is preaching on the street do I tell him to shut up because he is disturbing me, or do I just ignore him?

People can and do abuse the spec noises, even with just the 3 we have now. Will adding more really increase this so dramatically? Is turning the noises off that difficult when your ears get assaulted by unruly specs?

re: your 2nd point...Just because you can tell people in the client what there odds are of failing a roll doesn't mean we should. Right? That's practically cheating!
maysrill

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I had meant both.

AFAIK both speccing your own game and asking for outside advice are both illegal. By reduction ad absurdum, what if you asked for specific advice on every move for every player? You could essentially let someone else play for you. Obviously that's not practical via IRC, but with someone you know standing in the room, who happens to be much better at BB than you, it could certainly be done.

There's virtually no way to police a lot of these methods, and therefore a measure of honor is required. Play your own game, learn from your own mistakes.

That all said, I wouldn't mind more sound effects in the game, and maybe a new spec sound or two just as a fun new toy. We just ought to make sure we're not encouraging advice-giving to the players. Cheering for defense or offense is showing partisanship, which IMO is fine. Egging someone on toward a particular course of action is grey.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
 Jump to: