36 coaches online • Server time: 09:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gandresch

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

when i watch games, the player stats are always displayed over the graphics of the reserve/injury box. This is mostly very annoying - not that it doesn't look good, it looks excellent - because it is quite too far away from the players. You have to control, where your mouse is at this special moment and then look to the other side of the screen to see the stats of the player. Then the next player.
The biggest problem is, when you set up for a match and between your player's icons and their stats is more than a whole BB field Wink.

Therefor i want to suggest an overlay for player skills. When the mouse moves over a player, the skills pop up in a little overlay window, that is directly besides the player.
I made an example for an AV6+2NI Ulfwerener with Block (just imagine, there is a mouse over the Ulf):

An option could allow the coach, to not display the usual skills of a player, which in this case would only display Block, because every Ulf has Frenzy.
For me, this would make playing a lot more comfortable and much faster.

Greets,
gan
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I’m personally not a fan of this one, I don't think it is really needed as this is already displayed. It will also stop careless players making mistakes like blocking a st4 player because they thought he was only st3, it will make it easier to avoid being tripped by diving tackle etc... I like that people don't always notice these things, it is funny and more realistic to the table top version where skills like diving tackle are far more effective.
I also think it could be a little off putting if things keep popping up on the screen every time your cursor moves over a player and could possibly cause some lag on slower machines.

Last edited by Garion on %b %13, %2010 - %14:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I like this idea!
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I’m personally not a fan of this one, I don't think it is really needed as this is already displayed. It will also stop careless players making mistakes like blocking a st4 player coz when they thought he was only st3, it will make it easier to avoid being tripped by diving tackle etc... I like that people don't always notice these things, it is funny and more realistic to the table top version where skills like diving tackle are far more effective.
I also think it could be a little off putting if things keep popping up on the screen every time your cursor moves over a player and could possibly cause some lag on slower machines.

Agreed. The potential lag alone is enough reason not to do this.
But moreover this is already being displayed in one location that you can always see.
avien

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
Agreed. The potential lag alone is enough reason not to do this.
But moreover this is already being displayed in one location that you can always see.

I'm no programmer, but the potential problem of lag from this function seems a bit far fetched. It's only a matter of displaying a little gif image and some text.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this could be very distracting. I personally don't approve, although I see the advantages.
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Poll?
So I can vote bad idea.
gandresch

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

it wasn't thought to be an obligation. An option on the menu to enable this or disable it would be enough, so that coaches, who like it, are able to use it.

The lag is no reason. To display the player on the side is not lagging at all and i don't know, if the displaying of the stats is really a server sided command. I more think, that it is a client's feature - the client has to do something on his own. Imagine 50 games with 20 specs each and 50% of the specs just moving the mouse over the reserve box. This would result in about 2000 server request each second (4 players each second). Christer would be very thankful for this feature Wink

But that is not the problem. The graphics can be placed by the client (and has to be) as java runs on the client's system. The data is available, as the player is displayed on the side of the field. Therefor is do not see a lagging problem.

I would prefer, if the player stats are displayed with a short delay (200ms) and closes with such a short delay. This prevents the client from popping up thousands of windows during one mouse move.

Greets,
gan
LordVader82

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Bad idea.

If i'm not mistaken, the new client already shows little boxes over players to indicate the number of dice blocking that person would grant you. We used to require teams to paint their figs for this reason in table top. It's a lot easier to remember that the PURPLE Saurus was ST5, than #4.

What I can say about the old version that i didn't like was when a player like an Ogre or tree had so many skills you couldn't see the ones at the bottom. I believe this has been solved with this version.
gandresch

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

That is, why there should be an option to not display the starting skills of a player. A mino or tree would have have their new skills being displayed in the box. Besides that, the starting skills are shown in the box on the side - so if anyone is interested, he can look there.
gandresch

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing about failure:
I don't want to win a game, because my opo read the skills of my players the wrong way or mistakenly mix them up.
If this reduces the errors of players and so increases the quality of games, the option is 100% worth it.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

lets have the client plan your moves too, eh? and warn you when you are about to do something stupid.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I don’t think it is a case of reading the skills wrong I think it is some players not checking opposing player’s skills at all. Personally I like diving tackle because of how often opponent players forget about it. I think this addition could make the skill less effective which I wouldn't like to see.
I do understand your reasoning for the inclusion and it could potentially speed up the game a little, but personally it’s not something I would like to see implemented. Also you say to stop thousands of boxes appearing all over the screen have a 200ms delay which is the only way it could work and is again a good idea. But it doesn’t really take any longer than that to check the stats in the space they currently reside.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps Diving Tackle isn't that good, if you are not able to position your players the right way. There are situations, where a good positioning of DT is a very strong move, but to hope, that a player runs into your DT, because he didn't check, if the player has DT or not (if there is another way to dodge to the same position without DT) isn't a real good argument, is it?
With the same argument you could say, that having different icons for different positions favors players, who know about the positions and those, who don't care about these should have the disadvantage and therefor you should only display one sort of icon for everything.
With the same argument you could say, that knowing the positions of the opposing players is a strong advantage for a coach and therefor all opposing players should not be visible to the coach.

If someone looks at the players stats and sees DT and can avoid it, then this is exactly what the displaying of the player's skills should be about. This option should avoid failure in reading the skills and make the game more clear, so that coaches are able to concentrate on the game.

Greets,
gan
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

"so that coaches are able to concentrate on the game"

isn't remembering DT part of the game?

Jump to: