83 coaches online • Server time: 22:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
joebear

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Roster:

0-16 Firekin 40,000 5/1/3/6 A
Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty, Nerves of Steel, Accurate, Regeneration

0-6 Smolder Dwarf 80,000 4/2/3/8 SP
Stunty, Strong Arm, Throw Teammate, Dauntless, Thick Skull, Regeneration

0-1 Doom Orb 120,000 3/4/5/9 SM
Wild Animal, No Hands, Jump Up, Right Stuff, Thick Skull, Mighty Blow, Disturbing Presence, Regeneration

Apo: No

Re-rolls: 60,000

Firekin

Developed in the hottest depths of sulphuric pits, these creatures make up the majority of a Magmafolk tribe. Capable of briefly ramping up their energy to perform feats quite surprising for their size, Firekin are agile and adept Blood Bowl players. As they appear to be made of pure flame, one might think they would be impossible to physically damage, but they actually have a solid core. Magically, endlessly burning, their flame skin is actually not nearly as hot as it might appear, and their extremely diminutive size further reduces the effect of their heat.

Magma Dwarves

Unlike Firekin, Magma Dwarves appear to arise from the rapidly cooling edges of magma pools. Because of the different conditions from which they are born, Magma Dwarves have an outer skin of volcanic rock, the imperfections of which reveal a lava core. Named partly because of their dwarf-like stature and partly to honor the area's history, the comparisons between regular Dwarves and Magma Dwarves end there. Magma Dwarves are tough, but they are also relatively agile in short bursts because of their ability to quickly raise their internal temperature and move more fluidly. Their capabilities of burst energy makes them able to throw Firekin as well as the metal they collect impressive distances; it even makes them quite physically dangerous when threatened.

Doom Orb

Out for blood, a Doom Orb's only role on a Magmafolk team is to be thrown at groups of opposing players and to smash them into the ground. The Magmafolk seem to follow the Doom Orb religiously and spend all of the time they aren't playing Blood Bowl or tossing around large hunks of metal, "upgrading" the orb.

Karak Vlag and the Bloody Spires

The Bloody Spires is a volcanic plain located just south of the region of the Worlds Edge Mountains that was once home to the great Dwarf citadel known as Karak Vlag. The plain is dozens of miles across and covered by sulphuric pits and volcanic rocks. Named after the Bloody Battle between the dwarves of Karak Ungor and the goblins of Grukha the Throttler, few dare to weather its treacherous land and poisonous air. Though the area gained its name from the dwarves of Karak Ungor, it was the events that surrounded the dwarves of Karak Vlag that gave rise to the Magmafolk.

Having been away fighting goblins in the east, the nephew of the dwarven king, Anarbarziz, returned with his army to their home in the Worlds Edge mountains only to find that the citadel of Karak Vlag had completely vanished. With the smell of chaos in the air, Anarbarziz fled with his army to find reinforcements and, more importantly, answers. It would later become known that the entire citadel was banished and its inhabitants were enslaved for eternity in the realm of Slaanesh.

With little time to waste, Anarbarziz led his army through a shortcut in the dangerous Bloody Spires. Unfortunately for Anarbarziz, Amin'Hrith, Slaanesh's Keeper of Secrets, had been watching the dwarven army and had prepared an overpowering army of ambush. As the Dwarves traversed through the Bloody Plains, they were caught completely off-guard by an attack. Daemonettes and Seekers of Slaanesh rushed from behind the volcanic rock and suddenly surrounded the dwarven army from all sides. Though seemingly completely outmatched, Anarbarziz's army put up a valiant defense. Only the Dwarven Vanguard was lost, and the army of Slaanesh was forced to retreat to the Chaos Realm. The dwarves won the battle but would eventually lose the war, as they would fight their last stand and meet their end in the shadows of Death Valley.

Origin of Magmafolk

After the armies were gone and the Bloody Spires were once again devoid of life, strange effects of the massive battle started to manifest. What caused these changes are unknown. Some speculate that Warpstone was left behind by the fleeing armies of Slaanesh; others think that the area's bloody history had caught up to it, and that the tortured souls of the fallen had started to reawaken; others say it's a combination of things: a perfect storm of magical energy and chaos, if you will. Whatever the reason, small magical beings started to rise up out of the volcanic mountains of the Bloody Spires.

They have come to be known as the Magmafolk of the Bloody Spires, and these creatures exhibit behaviors that are truly exceptional in the old world. Once a single Firekin spouts out inexplicably from within the molten earth, it doesn't take long for an entire tribe to manifest. It appears that some tribes of Magmafolk are more sinister while others are more benevolent (the superstitious say this varies based on the essence of the fallen warriors that possess them), but it would be hard to call their moral alignment anything but Chaotic.

There are two distinct types of Magmafolk, but all of these creatures seem to display qualities reflective of their volcanic environment. They may look relatively sluggish and small, but they are able to accomplish mammoth feats through short bursts of explosive magical energy. Having been thrust into the world, they are completely unaware of their own fragility and the concepts of life and death, and they are thus completely fearless.

Magmafolk use their unique skill set toward a singular, obsessive goal: to gather a mass of earth-metal, whether it be from within the ground or from salvageable scraps of destroyed war machines. Since Magmafolk travel slowly over the land, they have developed an effective technique of throwing both each other and the collected metal large distances.

Once they have collected enough metal, what they do next with it cannot be fully-explained even by the leading wizards and scholars of the old world. They hold a ritualistic ceremony in which the entire tribe gathers around a pool of magma, and then they cast the mass of metal along with a willingly-sacrificed member of the tribe into the lava. The heat, pressure, metal, and magical essence of the Magmafolk combine to create a smooth circular orb of metal, which arises on its own slowly from the magma.

Each tribe of Magmafolk has its own sphere, which it beholds as its leader. One need not look too close to realize that these steel colossi are neither alive nor dead. They portray few qualities of sentient life, but they are able to move on their own across the land, and the Magmafolk seem to understand their unspoken language. There is something unnatural and terrifying about these behemoths, and thus they have come simply to be known as Doom Orbs.

Inception in the League

Origin in mind, nobody seems to understand the new development of the Magmafolk's participation in the Stunty Leeg. Maybe the best answer offered by an outside observer, "Can anybody truly explain anything about the Magmafolk? And do you really want to be asking such questions with those things lurking?" Magmafolk teams have stirred up quite the controversy. Some fans don't like the involvement of teams that are so magical in nature. Several complaints have been filed by opposing coaches, claiming that the Doom Orbs are illegal under article 134c, more commonly known as the No-Flight Rule, but Leeg officials maintain that the Orbs have no such flight capabilities and meet all regulations within the Leeg Code of Conduct. More likely than anything else, Leeg officials seem quite content with the large increase in revenue since the inception of the "giant-flying-shiny-ball-of-death-play", and aren't going to stare a gift horse in the mouth anytime soon. It should be noted that the coaches that filed complaints have since disappeared.

Changelog

Edit #1 (13:10 EST): Overall drop in team speed, armor.
Reduce Firekin AV and MV to lessen the effectiveness of their AG4.
Give Smolder Dwarfs stunty so that their TTM abilities aren't as reliable from the get-go. Also decrease their MV.
Decrease MV and AV of Doom Orb by 1. Increase AG by 2 to make Jump Up blocks more reliable.

Edit #2 (16:50 EST): I listened to people who know what they're talking about.
Put the MV and AV of Firekin and Smolder Dwarves back where it was.
Dropped the Firekin AG back to the land of reason.
Made the Doom Orb more reliable and not as strong.

Edit #3 (13:13 EST): Edited the fluff for clarity, roster change reflections.
Separated the post into subsections, so that it could be much more navigable.
Final roster adjustments until I play a bunch of stunty and play-test the team (I promise):
Adjusted Firekin so that the team would have the passing play-style I originally wanted them to have without the AG4, namely I gave them accurate to cancel out the Stunty and priced them at 40,000.
As for the Doom Orb, I replaced Blood Lust with Wild Animal so that it would be more fun to throw around. Replaced its access to General with Mutation so that it would be more unique to develop and wouldn't be such a well-rounded killing machine. (That was never the point, I always wanted it to be a bit more chaotic.)

Last edited by joebear on %b %14, %2012 - %08:%Sep; edited 11 times in total
joebear

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I am utterly insane. My apologies.
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

First off...I never want to stifle anybody from having fun with Blood Bowl, making insane rosters is one off shoot of this.

but the big BUTT

the main issue with varient rosters is this.

1)Just because it is a stunty roster does not mean squat. Might as well make a normal roster because in the end...no one cares.

2)IF Christer thought varient rosters were neat then on team creation you would have over 400 team variants to choose from. Thus FUMBBL's rep in the Blood Bowl universe would be donkey dung.

3)Lets just go down the path of 400+ variant teams....Well we all know that the space marine and Bretonian Human variant are the best. Basically reducing the other 398 rosters to only coaches who wanted a challenge.

4)At some point it would reach critical mass when the vast majority of coaches would just say..."why can we not just play with the standard rosters in CRP?"

5)Thus we return to the land of reality and understand the wisdom of Christer to not deviate from standard teams and rules.

6)But alas is not stunty a FUMBBL deviation from CRP...Well of course it is...BUT we come back to the space marine stunty roster and the Bretonian stunty roster which breaks the game. Throw up are arms in disgust and walk back to the pub for another round or 4.

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

**OOPS**

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 03:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I have one serious issue to raise though joebear.

IF you love stunty rosters so much, in fact you dream them up left and right.

How come you do not have one stunty team actually created on your coach profile?

Just throwing that out. Shocked Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi PainState. I'm a bit confused by your response. I proofread my post once for spelling and grammar, and then I proofread it again to see if I had anything that would offend anybody. I'm not sure what kind of tone you are reading with my post. But I truly, sincerely was just having a little bit of fun.

You say you never want to stifle anybody from having fun with Blood Bowl, but from my perspective (not being able to read my post in the tone that you read it) that's the entire point of your post. I didn't say I thought my team should be made official. And I sure as heck didn't want to imply that. (Btw, my little jab at Shadow's post, I sincerely meant as self-deprecating and silly. I hope that's not what sent you on your tangent.)

As for your point about me not yet having played stunties, what difference does it make? I like stunty rosters because I like playing stunties in regular Blood Bowl. I actually had a team creation roster for Chaos Halflings open while you posted. I had been entertaining the idea, which is why stunty rosters interest me. BUTT why am I even defending myself for something that doesn't need to be defended? Why does it matter to you if, while following site rules, I take an hour to post a fun little mental exercise in the appropriate forum of an obscure hobbyist site? Can't we just live and let live a little more on here?
Igvy

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Should give them space marines a run for their money.

Best give the firekin catch, just to be sure.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the amount of work you've put into this. I really like the fluff and way you have thought about things. However I'm not really keen on the roster to be honest (I don't think it really fits the BB world). Also I found some of it hard to read, I had to go through it a few times to fully understand the fluff and idea.

Balancewise I'm not sure. The problem is, you look at it as what it ought to be, unfortunately coaches aren't really interested in how things are supposed to work, and what is best for the game, they tend to abuse what is abuseable.

As a basic roster it's ok. However you have 6 pombing dwarfs there, and if that doesn't unbalance the roster, they have awesome (and probably overpowered) ttming capabilities.

I definitely would like something to become of this roster, I wouldn't support or would want to see it in official stunty but would love to see you pursue the idea when League goes fully custom. I think you would need to play test it a fair bit though, various builds upto a high TV.

Anyway, I'm glad I did read your list, and I think it's good that you are thinking out of the box and creating ideas like this.

As to Painstate.

PainState wrote:

the main issue with varient rosters is this.

1)Just because it is a stunty roster does not mean squat. Might as well make a normal roster because in the end...no one cares.

This is typically you. For some reason you've got it into your head that your opinion is fact. Just because aren't interested in Stunty, doesn't mean others aren't either. Furthermore, there are a lot of coaches on the fringe, that could be interested in Stunty, if this, that or something else happened. Giving coaches the option isn't a bad thing, stifling creativity is.

PainState wrote:

2)IF Christer thought varient rosters were neat then on team creation you would have over 400 team variants to choose from. Thus FUMBBL's rep in the Blood Bowl universe would be donkey dung.

Again, my opinion is law type statement. You have to remember there is life on FUMBBL outside of ranked and the majors type mentality. Why would FUMBBL's rep be dung with different variants? Ok, in competitive divisions, yes they'd be a bad idea, very bad idea. However in League, I can only see variants as good.

PainState wrote:

4)At some point it would reach critical mass when the vast majority of coaches would just say..."why can we not just play with the standard rosters in CRP?"

Nobody is suggesting removing this option, or removing it from the 2 competitive divisions. Stunty isn't one of those divisions nor is League. Also (this is the clever part) giving coaches and commissioners 'choice'. When creating a league, you allow/add the rosters you feel appropriate.

PainState wrote:

6)But alas is not stunty a FUMBBL deviation from CRP...Well of course it is...BUT we come back to the space marine stunty roster and the Bretonian stunty roster which breaks the game. Throw up are arms in disgust and walk back to the pub for another round or 4.

I think finally you do have a point with 'point' number 6. Dilution in a gaming environment can be problematic. Also making a variant roster that isn't balanced, and breaks the environment.

However there are ways around both of these problems.

For dilution, I doubt any variant roster will become official FUMBBL rosters. And will be used by certain groups. These groups can manage their own environment, based on feedback and interest.

For imbalance, nothing is set in stone. If a variant/experimental roster proves to be overpowered, they can always be amended.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Good effort on the fluff Joe.
The Dwarfs are probably too good, while the Firekins could perhaps be 30k. Though ag4 could well win some matches.

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh ag4 stunty right stuff! I missed that. Indeed this team is overpowered for stunty.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

joebear wrote:

Roster:

0-16 Firekin 40,000 5/1/4/6 A GSP
Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty, Nerves of Steel, Regeneration

0-6 Smolder Dwarf 80,000 4/2/3/8 SP GA
Strong Arm, Throw Teammate, Dauntless, Thick Skull, Regeneration

0-1 Doom Orb 130,000 5/5/1/10 S GS AP
Wild Animal, Blood Lust, No Hands, Jump Up, Right Stuff, Thick Skull, Mighty Blow, Disturbing Presence, Regeneration

Apo: No

Re-rolls: 60,000

The idea behind is good, but in terms of balance is not. The Smolder Dwarf just need an +agi and you can throw that Orb anywhere you want with no problems at all, if you cant already do that. Even though the Orb have agi1, it wont affect it most likely with high av and JU.
Also it have G access, so Block and Tackle and you have something very powerful which can be anywhere on the field.

Your Firekin... Just seems broken with agi4 even though they are str1.
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Endless rant

Can you not tell when someone is having fun with a post and when someone is being serious? come on man, I invoked Space Marines and Bretonian Team roster...If I cannot even bring up Space Marines and it is not obvious this is a joke then either you "guys" are way to serious or I got some issues Iam not aware of.

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
Endless rant

Can you not tell when someone is having fun with a post and when someone is being serious? come on man, I invoked Space Marines and Bretonian Team roster...If I cannot even bring up Space Marines and it is not obvious this is a joke then either you "guys" are way to serious or I got some issues Iam not aware of.

Your complaints seemed genuine to me, so no I coudn't tell that you were just playing around. However if you say that how it is, that's how it is.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

At the roster:
Agi 4 is a big no no for me in Stunty Leeg. Yes, my halfling Carnies have Elves with Agi 4.. but they have bonehead and no right stuff, so are not very maneuverable or reliable.
The dwarves seem pretty good, although A access on dwarves seems.. odd. I'd probably just give them G access, and nothing else.
The Doom Orb should probably be Strength 4, given that it's small enough you can throw it; and I'm always a fan of 'Strength 5 OR G access, not both' as a rule. In this case you have 4 dwarves with G access, so I'd probably even go so far as to say the Orb should be Strength 4 AND lose G access, but drop the price to about.. 100k.

Edit: At Painstate. Even invoking Space Marines and Bretonnians, I agree with Harvestmouse, you came across as very negative, and seriously so.

joebear, keep up with the ideas; they're lots of fun even to just theorize about.
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2012 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Nelphine that Ag4 Stunties are a big no. The only way I would imagine it would be a 0-2 No Hands player, and even that would be questionable. An Ag-3 Firekin should definitely then be 30k. I also agree that the Orb should probably be St4. However, I disagree with his begging the question on it losing and Dwarves getting General skill access. I think the current set-up is fine. However, I would urge you to keep in mind that a stunty roster should probably be at least 70-80% Stunty players, so a few of those Dwarves might need to go. I also question the S access on the Orb, since it's a MB player... with Jump Up... for reasons that I think should evident.

I rather like the idea of one giant killing thing that gets thrown around the pitch. I question the negatraits, though-- Wild Animal seems unusual given the fluff, and Blood Lust seems strange functionally-- you'd probably want to throw these guys somewhere on the pitch where you have no presence, right? A failed BL roll would be very un-fun at that point. Note that--were you to land in an opposing tackle zone-- with Ag1, you wouldn't be able to dodge away in search of a Firekin to feed off of. Also note that Ag1 and Jump up is a counter-fun combination. I think Decay would actually be the most fitting negatrait, actually, and would better fit team development. But if you're determined to have BL, I might be tempted to build them something like this:

0-1 Doom Orb 130,000 3/4/5/9 S G APS
Blood Lust, No Hands, Right Stuff, Mighty Blow, Disturbing Presence, Regeneration

I think 0-2 is better, so that your opponent can't so easily isolate a single one, such that you'd never want to activate for fear of failing a negatrait roll. However, if it was 0-2, it probably should get WA or another handicap.

Throwing this guy is a good trick, but if that's the team's main schtick, they should do it well.
 Jump to: