18 coaches online • Server time: 07:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
joebear

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2012 - 04:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys,

I'm just about to start painting my Wood Elf and Chaos Dwarf teams (made by Greebo; they're awesome), and I have everything planned out except for the base of my models. Do any experienced painters out there have some good advice? How do you guys paint grass on the bottom of your models?

There are textured paints out there, but they seem lame in comparison to how the professionals painted the bases on the Greebo website (not sure if I'm allowed to link to those, but they're very easy to find). I've been considering using some modeling clay to create a grassy texture, which I would then paint green with some white lines like they do on the website. I'd probably also use some modeling sand, and paint it brown to create some "dirt".

Advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

~Joe
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2012 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

For me, I don't really like static grass very much. How I do it, is to paint the base with a normal brown paint, then dip the base into some coarse sand (putting glue on the base makes the sand too thick IMO). Once it is dry I thin down another coat of brown 2 parts water 1 part paint, and put the brush onto the base, the paint soaks into the sand. Whilst it's wet I add some flock, I tend to mix my own flock to get the required colour (different greens and browns). For BB I like a worn out looking grass field. Once dry I'll add some highlights to the visible sand, paint the sides, add colour to the sides for position (I'm old skool) and paint a white line across the base to look like a field chalk line (giving it that sporty look).

The greebo bases use a mixture of modelling foliage and static grass. If you haven't used static grass before, learn before you do, it's tricky and can be a pain to use.
joebear

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2012 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. Thanks for the tips. Flock looks a lot easier than static grass. Considering my inexperience and likelihood of messing up really nice models, I'm going to try it your way. I'm going into the local GW today to see what they have...
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2012 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

There is nothing wrong in what harvestmouse suggests, but I've found that on a base of pebbles, static grass white glue's well and just requires a gentle blowing to stick up like real grass. On a flat, untextured base it just mats weirdly.

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2012 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

When using static grass, placing the freshly flocked model on top of an active, electrical appliance will cause the static grass to stand up.
I tend to glue sand on my bases, paint that a muddy brown colour, place light flock in big patches leaving 'dirt' layer showing here and there then apply static grass in smaller patches. Looks more realistic and torn up to me.
I use thinned down 'white' glue (aka PVA) to apply all flocking.
Also, flock before you varnish; it will help the flock withstand the rigors of play.
 Jump to: