53 coaches online • Server time: 22:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Genuine curiousity here.

I've had some very negative ratings for several rather lengthy blog posts. Then I've seen somebody post [in my opinion] absolute tripe or a single sentence with little or no obvious value and get a high rating.

Or could it just be that I've rubbed a few people up the wrong on this site and they hate rate the blog posts?

For instance I posted this match report (quite a nice one, I thought) and the first 3 votes were a 1...

http://www.fumbbl.com/p/blog&coach=24457&id=11335

So, genuine question - no wrong answers - what makes a good blog post?

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Change your name into Christer, become a parent... and uhm... That is about it. If you want a 6 average that is.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Was thinking a 4+ average, but I'll have a think about the name change! Either that or sire some more littl'uns.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

But to be serious... People like general things they can relate to. A match report, news about a group/league is just too specific.
pythrr

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Less EMO, more funny. People like funny.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Trust me, some people are going to rate it bad just to do it. Blog what you want/like, and let the chips fall where they may.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Less EMO, more funny. People like funny.

I must confess, I don't really know what that means.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I rate this a 1.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:

I've had some very negative ratings for several rather lengthy blog posts. Then I've seen somebody post [in my opinion] absolute tripe or a single sentence with little or no obvious value and get a high rating.

You pretty much answered your own question.

A good blog post should be short. Very Happy

Short attention span boys will give you a 1 based on volume alone. They won't even read it. Wink

Unless it's Christer or Kalimar. Then it's a 6 whether read or not.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 09:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure there are some coaches who votes 1 every time someone posts. At least I've noticed a few blogs where the first votes were 1, and the rest 4-6.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

A blog is your collection of online writings. You write in it because you want to. You should write for you. Unlike a match report, people can leave feedback, maybe let you know they watched the replay and saw an error you made.

Unlike the forum... well, it's pretty similar to the forum. Other than people can not only leave you negative comments, but also rate it low. If that bothers you than perhaps a blog isn't the way to go. But you will get people trying to tell you what and how to blog, so be prepared for it.

I like well written fluffy match report type stuff. And if you're good at it, people might tack you onto their buddy list and check in on the blog more often. Keep it up. Expect low ratings.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

RL tend to go down better in a blog, but blogs are rated mainly according to who is writing them. The main flaw with scoring blogs is coaches that don't like you auto rate regardless of what you write.

The blog score is totally irreleant, as your blog will only be visible for a limited time regardless of the score, but the comments tend to be far more honest (even Pythrr's comedy ones!), although we've all seen the odd comment flame war!

Blogs are great.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:
Was thinking a 4+ average, but I'll have a think about the name change! Either that or sire some more littl'uns.

Personally I love your blogs, always fluffy as well as your detailed match reports...always a good read!

Kids are awesome! Get 3 sons, then your house fills up with Xboxes/PS3's/Wii's/PC's/transformers/blu ray/etc...

My missus loves it Wink

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont forget Nerf Guns, awesome Very Happy
BooAhl

Post   Posted: May 19, 2012 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

My highest rated blog, 5.5, included 2 new legends. And what happend after. What might helped the rating was the Kill of one of Calciums dreaded CWs and also that my skink legend didnt last very long. There is only 2 things people like more than new legends. Dead and Retired Legends.

Edit: My 2nd highest, 5.4, had 23 words, including title. But that was after riping 2 chaos killer legends in Box.
 Jump to: